Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #31
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Why cann't Ford get the PM to launch a new car!!!!!!!!!
Why cann't Ford learn from Holden !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd say the fact Ford arn't using the PM to launch anything means they have learned from Holden

I quite like the cruise to be honest, i won't be buying one but Holden have had much worse medium size cars.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #32
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Noticed alot of these on the roads lately sad times.
I wonder tho if HSV is thinking of doing anything going by the sales of these.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Could you imagine what their sales will be like with the hatch, that 2,000/mth could well become +3,000.....

And yes new Focus might be a superior car but going on past experience, a lot of that hype is lost on buyers.
Cruze is a success because it's new, here and built in Australia, what are Ford bringing, cars built in Thailand?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #34
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its actually surprising how Australian it looks considering how Asian the donor is, all Aussie cars seems to have that 'soft lined aggresion' or 'organic tautness'. It looks like what Aussie families will be driving in the future. One of the benefits of building it here is being able to style it to Aussie tastes, and it shows with this new model. I hated the original Cruze, but the changes have made it one of the best looking cars in the segment.

Also the hatch design is starting to make sense, when I first saw the concept I thought the roundy rear of the hatch didnt match the bluff square Chevrolet front end but the hatch now looks like it will match the Holden front end. Logical considering Australia will probably be one of the biggest markets for the hatch so might as well make it suit the Holden version rather than the Chevy version.

Anyone else see the hint of FG XR in the bumper abover the foglights?

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #35
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

still only a re modeled Epica. I would never get one i will be buying a Kia before i get that
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #36
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Why cann't Ford get the PM to launch a new car!!!!!!!!!
Why cann't Ford learn from Holden !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Focus had better be really really good or its down the gurgler!!!
They even have a V series in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This car wont hinder new focus sales, hell it wont hinder the current focus sales
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #37
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
This car wont hinder new focus sales, hell it wont hinder the current focus sales

It will certainly hinder current and future government fleet Focus sales, as well as Corolla's.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #38
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

The next 3 to 6 months sales will be interesting to see what effect it has.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #39
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
It will certainly hinder current and future government fleet Focus sales, as well as Corolla's.
Well then you would have to wonder exactly what sort of hypocrites the governments are then. If you are of some beleif that governments would favour the cruze due to its australianess, then they would be quite strange since Holden have admitted it is merely 25% australian content.

Most cars coming out of the asian region, would have a minimum 10% australian content on the materials used in the car.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #40
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Anyone else see the hint of FG XR in the bumper abover the foglights?

Yes,

I mentioned it in POST 5 of this thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...04&postcount=5

The CRUZE is a good looking car. I see stacks of them getting around now and particularly increasing levels of the DIESEL version. If this was offered as an AWD HSV version with some serious grunt and handling down the track.....I'm sure there would be heaps of interest and heaps of sales.

Wih petrol nudging 1.40+ for standard unleaded.....and on its way upwards very soon.....I'm almost thinking that HOLDEN are already planning on how to phase out the Commodore and start culturing mainstream redneck Australia that the CRUZE is the new AUSSIE HERO.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #41
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cruze is Holden's future, not Commodore. And fuel nudging $1.50 lately just re-emphasizes that. Good on them for being pro-active and chasing contracts, I honestly hope it works out for them. However, numbers don't lie, and this car will not produce big profits but it does keep the factory churning.

In fact, name one thing Ford have done lately that will produce more Australian jobs?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #42
1TUFFUTE
Banned

seriously..that car looks dated allready to me...it has too mant sharp lines...nothing matches and its very plain. If you sit the new focus beside that it will look 10 years older i garuntee......isnt the base focus going to be a couple g cheaper aswell???
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #43
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't mind how it looks, it does not need to look like a sports car because it isn't one. Personally, if I was not so Ford biased I would even look at purchasing one.........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #44
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I'm interested in this 1.4LT engine, weird seeing a peak power figure under 5000 RPM
Probably is a single cam in block, pushrod design. lol
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #45
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrghia
still only a re modeled Epica. I would never get one i will be buying a Kia before i get that
It's not an Epica.

Cruze is on GM Delta II, the same platform as Opel Astra.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #46
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Starting to like the Cruze more, and more. Never really liked Holden's small/medium car range.

Astras have always had that "chick's" car feel about them, Barinas more or less the same, and the Epica was an epic fail. The Cruze on the other hand actually looks appealing.

It's something I would own, and no not because it wears a Holden badge.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #47
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Starting to like the Cruze more, and more. Never really liked Holden's small/medium car range.

Astras have always had that "chick's" car feel about them, Barinas more or less the same, and the Epica was an epic fail. The Cruze on the other hand actually looks appealing.

It's something I would own, and no not because it wears a Holden badge.
Agreed on all accounts, and being Australian built gives it another advantage in my mind.

A HSV version would absolutely fly...especially if they did it properly like the Focus RS.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #48
JG34JA

Default Cruze

Agree as well. I'd look at one, I know family members who'd line up a wagon pronto if one were produced. Well done, Australian assembled with 25% content, it's a start, and local jobs.

They look onto a winner, and here I'll speculate: is it because the traditional Aussie family car is really more like the EH, about 1100-1400kg, seats 5, motor under 3 litres (today's tech, read 2 litres) and economical for the times, and about that XP-HR size?
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #49
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the current Cruze looked severely outdated before production.

The front looks like it's pulled inspiration from the front of a VY/Z Commodore. The side profile also looks dated.

The Cruze is a good bang for buck car, but I think you're better off spending more and going a Mazda 6, Mondeo or Accord Euro. The extra money is worth it, just off the top of my head. Yes, I know those cars cost more, but for the money I think all three look better, and chances are that they drive better, are built better and perhaps even 'Go Better' as well.

I think it is positive of Holden though to start producing a small car here. I think Ford made a mistake in not producing the Focus here. Had it been Australian-built, I think more people might have considered it.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #50
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont know why people give the Cruze just a hard time.. I think it is one of the better looking small cars on the market... much better than the current focus, Corrola or I30 if you ask me..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #51
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I dont know why people give the Cruze just a hard time.. I think it is one of the better looking small cars on the market... much better than the current focus, Corrola or I30 if you ask me..
I disagree on Focus but Corolla and I30 x100
Old 02-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #52
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SRi V is very well equipped, even has sat nav as standard which would attract me to it over a FOCUS.
Old 13-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #53
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: PM launches new Holden Cruze

Interesting to see that the base model cruise has jumped from $21490 for the series I to $21990 for series II according to Holdens website. Also the Series II doesnt come with the (astronomically priced) $1260 Alloy wheels.

A technical $1760 (minus whatever standard wheels would set you back) price hike seems a bit harsh.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #54
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i thought the cruze would be up aginst the mondeo..and would havethought it would get smokd not only on the road but inside..out and gear wise aswell
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #55
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Looks the same.
Old 14-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #56
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Reasons to give the Cruze a hard time -
Interior space is tiny compared to Mitsubishi Lancer
Air conditioning is useless
Boot space is minimal
Costs more to buy than Lancer
Costs more to service than Lancer

We found this out when choosing a new car for the wife. Lancer beat Cruze hands down in all aspects. And we're generally Holden biased so for us to buy elsewhere is an indication of how bad the Cruze was...
Uncle Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post