Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Lynch'd

Default NSW - Are they following VIC's lead with speed cameras?

I noticed these going up a couple of weeks back and only the other day finally had someone in the passenger seat to take some photos.

They are on the M4 westbound at Clunies Ross Rd and are hidden in the lightbox's where the advertising sign used to be. From the Van's up there you can tell they're still working on the installation but as yet there is no signage warning they're there.

Now i'm originally from Melbourne so well and truely used to keeping an eye out on overpasses for hidden speed cameras but was under the impression they had to put up warning signs prior to fixed speed cameras in NSW. Has this changed? Are they following the same revenue raising route as VIC and hiding them all over the place now?

Lynch'd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Look like Safe T Cam Heavy Vehicle cameras, to monitor driving times etc. Nothing to worry about for ordinary motorists...yet.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they have caught on and have the speed camera facing in the direction to hit the rear of your car.
Got a few here in geelong that face the front .
I always laugh when i blow past them on my bike . Always the only vehicle that the brake lights come on.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
I think they have caught on and have the speed camera facing in the direction to hit the rear of your car.
: they ARE facing the front........
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
podderick
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Look like Safe T Cam Heavy Vehicle cameras, to monitor driving times etc. Nothing to worry about for ordinary motorists...yet.
thats what they look like to me too! they have them on the f5 and f3 as well
Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Whats a "Safe T Cam"?

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Whats a "Safe T Cam"?

i THINK they monitor trucks for their driving times and catch them out if they arnt having their correct breaks. i think it can be used for cars to but im not 100% sure...

Click Here
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Whats a "Safe T Cam"?

As above but they also monitor speed. If you travel at the speed limit for a set distance you will arrive at a certain point at a certain time. These camera's are for that purpose. For heavy vehicles only........................at this stage. Give it time and the governments will use them for all traffic. Camera's are cheaper than police on the road.

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct trucks only. I'd be scrooood 100 times over if they weren't. More just gone up north of Taree.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #10
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

safe t cam.. i know because my engineers here support the system!!
there are a lot of safety cam upgrades happening, and a hell of a lot of new sites.
Hint: All the new installations have the ability to support cars....

Beltronics is your friend....

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ahh Victoria land of the free.....no wait. I drove back home from Melbourne yesterday and it was just great to come back over the border where nobody is looking over your shoulder - and if they are, there's a bloody great big sign telling you where they are.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
Boosh Brus

I thought they started using the Safe-T-cams to monitor cars as well but the trial is only on a few select roads. e.g.Pacific hwy?

Btw Lynch'd that EOS takes a good photo
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Safe-T-cams have been used for years to monitor cars when the RTA feel like it. All it takes is a switch in head office.

Next public holiday have a look up and wave as you go under (or over the dots on the road) if you see a red flash Big Bruvver is watching you.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I used to work for Fujitsu between 1997 and 2000 ... and they had the out-sourcing contract to support RTA IT Services including Safe-T-Cam back then.

All Safe-T-Cam sites have the ability to OCR number plates on Small/Medium/Large vehicle ... it depends on which option is selected for each site.

Was an interesting job ... especially replacing a faulty camera from the gantry off the side of the bridge when trucks zoom past just beneath you.

The resolution of the cameras back then were good enough to read the entries of a driver's logbook on his dashboard ... they'd be a hell of a lot better now.

They aren't allowed to monitor cars due to current legislation ... although they have been trying for a long time to do it though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Lucky they're not speed cameras, because all you'd need is a cordless with a 10mm bit, a couple of cans of Ramset builders foam and then they'd be in a world of trouble. Not to say I've tried it though.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

For the record, warning signs will not be placed at each "point to point" camera site. Generic camera symbol signs will remain.

Fixed speed camera signs remain. SCRUBY (and mates) want these removed.

Get my way, and point to point cameras will go, but it will take the next election to do this. What matters is 'speed' (and a big ETC) at-point-of-operation, not speed over time and distrance, more extreme left-wing PC rubbish.

NSW's once fair and functioning 'camera system' is becoming Victorianised. This will stop.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #17
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Got a few here in geelong that face the front .
I always laugh when i blow past them on my bike . Always the only vehicle that the brake lights come on.

I realised as my post (above) does not make any sense i apoligise for that.

What i was getting at. They do not appear to be speed camera's because i think they caught on to the fact there more effecive facing the rear of the traffic and of course better hiden.
As i was saying the ones in geelong face the front . I laugh at this because it makes motorbikes safe from fines. I notice all traffic usally hitting the brakes and heading under the camera's doing about 90-95 then speeding up again .

Speed camera's are a joke and i fail to see how it helps make the road safer.
I actually believe in most cases they make hghways/freeways more
dangerous.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Hey Keepleft, you seem to know alot about the subject when it comes to road rules and the general state of attempts to police motorists; wasn't there a law in NSW that prevented cameras from being forward facing as it photographed drivers which was considered an invasion of privacy? I could be wrong but I read somewhere that it was a consideration for the placement and orientation of cameras.
Even still, we have it way better in NSW than Victoria.

Quote: