Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #31
sudszy
Banned

Default Re: Redefining hooning???..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
It's the implication that the word hooning has...

This isn't a case of hooning, so much as pure and blatant stupidity.
fair enough, though, without totally being of topic, i raised the issue for discussion of the role of passengers in hooning offences and that tackling their involvement would bring a change in behaviour:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
i dont really have any issue with whether its "hooning" or not. The fact was that there were nine other people who there that were also behaving badly and look like they are going to get away scott free?

Perhaps they have already been fined for not wearing seatbelts(which you can be if over 15 or 16), but perhaps if we instituted some harsh punishments and fines(losing their licence/learner's permit, being banned from getting a licence for 5 years etc) for being in a car that is "hooning" then we would make young people think carefully about egging on the driver or perhaps not even getting in the car when they know the driver is an idiot that is going to show off.

So there may be an innocent person stuck in a car with an idiot driver who gets copped with a fine, if all that happens to them good. Im predicting the detterent effect on others could see a rapid change in behaviour.
any comments?
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #32
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The driver is the person who is in control of the vehicle, and therefore is the person held responsible for any passenger or in this case the number of passengers.

Many similar threads regarding this issue, but at the end of the day, it's the nut behind the wheel that no legislation or big stick approach can control.

It's basic common sense - thou shalt not invite nine passengers or a herd of elephants into thou rear end of vehicle that only accomodates three.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #33
LTDHO
The one and only

If Ted Baillieu finds you have not done your wheel nuts up to the correct torque, not have your radio tuned correctly or have not cleaned your mud flaps, then these too are equivalent of what we know as hooning.

Expect more impounds.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #34
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

any comments?

Yeah.

I am surprised you are in a thread that is not about speed cameras.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #35
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Yeah.

I am surprised you are in a thread that is not about speed cameras.
Not necessary.

Quote:
fair enough, though, without totally being of topic, i raised the issue for discussion of the role of passengers in hooning offences and that tackling their involvement would bring a change in behaviour:

any comments?
I believe that if these 9 people had any clue, they would have had enough smarts to not get in the car to start off with - innocent people don't tend to behave this foolishly (In my experience anyway). Fining them, may possibly work, but there is also a big possibility that these kids will just figure that the court is going to do nothing, so they continue to drive unlicensed, anyway. Perhaps if there was no monetary loss, but an extension of their Learners permits, Probationary license, etc. may provide a little more incentive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
The driver is the person who is in control of the vehicle, and therefore is the person held responsible for any passenger or in this case the number of passengers.

Many similar threads regarding this issue, but at the end of the day, it's the nut behind the wheel that no legislation or big stick approach can control.

It's basic common sense - thou shalt not invite nine passengers or a herd of elephants into thou rear end of vehicle that only accomodates three.
Unfortunately, basic common sense is by no means common anymore - that's why every single thing has to be dumbed down to the lowest denominator. Common sense also says that if there is already 3 people in the car, you don't try and climb in. The driver may be the one in control of the vehicle, but passengers need to start taking some responsibility in these instances too.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #36
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dread the day.. (mayby not far away) That politicians frown apon sports car's for the simple fact that a sports car or any aftermarket modification has the potential to increase hoon behaviour..
-With the Australian nanny state's roaring ahead it would not surprise me..
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #37
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
...Common sense also says that if there is already 3 people in the car, you don't try and climb in. The driver may be the one in control of the vehicle, but passengers need to start taking some responsibility in these instances too.
Common sense also says that if you are the driver you don't start the car until you only have 3 people in the car. A car doesn’t move without a driver and only passengers.

Stupid people will do stupid things no matter what the consequences or how many laws there are in place. I for one am so sick and tired of 2 minority groups causing all these stupid laws for stupid people. 1st minority the idiots who will do stupid **** no matter what laws are in place and the 2nd minority group for creating more and more dumb rules that do absolutely nothing to stop the idiots and only impacts normal drivers and car enthusiasts.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok

Last edited by Grunter; 15-04-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #38
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Common sence also says that if you are the driver you don't start the car until you only have 3 people in the car. A car doesnt move without a driver and only passengers.
You're right, it does, but it's clear in this case there wasn't any. And if out of 10 people, not one had any common sense, the problem isn't 'hooning' or any derivative of it. It's sheer lack of regard for rules and very little education towards road safety awareness.

On reading another article, it turns out these kids had all been at a party (unsupervised), and the police had closed it down. The L plater didn't have an adult in the car, the car wasn't registered and apparently had false plates as well.

Hooning isn't the problem here, and it never will be whilst kids believe it's okay to do this kind of thing.

Bring back some serious ramifications, not just the threat of 'could be charged'.

Ted Baillieu's comments that the laws should be changed to incorporate this, is ridiculous. Hooning means the car will be impounded/crushed - it's unregistered...so does it really effect anyone in this instance. Perhaps if he had his facts straight and tried to educate kids to the right behaviour instead of just changing a law to suit himself.

Road safety and hooning are not synonymous - the sooner the politicians realise this, the better.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #39
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Not necessary.

I believe that if these 9 people had any clue, they would have had enough smarts to not get in the car to start off with - innocent people don't tend to behave this foolishly (In my experience anyway). Fining them, may possibly work, but there is also a big possibility that these kids will just figure that the court is going to do nothing, so they continue to drive unlicensed, anyway. Perhaps if there was no monetary loss, but an extension of their Learners permits, Probationary license, etc. may provide a little more incentive.

Unfortunately, basic common sense is by no means common anymore - that's why every single thing has to be dumbed down to the lowest denominator. Common sense also says that if there is already 3 people in the car, you don't try and climb in. The driver may be the one in control of the vehicle, but passengers need to start taking some responsibility in these instances too.
I agree with you on all these points. Except the extension of L's and P's, holding a license to many of them is an optional extra anyway, how is an extension of that going to change their mind? Perhaps a charge and imposing sentences of community service will. Take away their free time by making them work in soup kitchens on a friday or saturday night, this would reduce their time to get in trouble, inconvenience them and the volunteer organisations could do with some extra manpower.
Old 15-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #40
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hoon every time I drive my car:

• In my building’s garage I use the left lane for driving in an out as the right lane has a tiny hump installed right before the game and it annoys me ...
• Once I drive up to my garage, I have to step out of the car to open the door (its manual). I then sit back into the car and drive it into the garage, since my seatbelt is no longer on, I hoon as I drive 4metres without a seatbelt …
• I sometimes beep loudly at people inside the garage for blocking the driveway, that’s hooning …
• When it’s raining and I just drive into the garage and my wheels are wet, they sometimes slide on the concrete and hence its hooning …
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #41
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
but perhaps if we instituted some harsh punishments and fines(losing their licence/learner's permit, being banned from getting a licence for 5 years etc) for being in a car that is "hooning"
I think that would be rather hard to enforce...as the passengers aren't always neccessarily aware of the drivers actions and intentions before they are in the car.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #42
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The term is thrown around way to loosely these days. It's bureaucracy gone mad almost.

Like every one, I'm all for safe driving. I wont discount that at all. But when you're labelled a 'hoon' for exceeding the speed limit by 5-10kms for example. What happened to it simply being a speeding offence rather than "A breach of anti-hoon laws"?
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #43
hiper
[HIPER-8]

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
It's bureaucracy gone mad.

What happened to it simply being a speeding offence rather than "A breach of anti-hoon laws"?
soon the only road laws will be anti-hoon laws.
no more confusion.
1994 EF Fairmont Cardinal Red
hiper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post