View Poll Results: Has an automotive business tried to rip you off/deceive you
Yes 123 83.67%
No 19 12.93%
I thought they did but it was a misunderstanding 5 3.40%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #61
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Some mechanics must think people are stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Got quoted $669 by Bitsaremissin in Southport for a 75,000km service. Nearly died then and there. I asked them what the bloody hell do I get for that price?

Answer. Oil and filter changed, air filter changed and valve clearance check.

That's it. I can imagine the valve clearance check would be the bulk of that quote but the only reason I got a quote was cause I found out they introduced capped servicing cost.
I took one of my v8's into a Euro dealer for some chassies work and they rang to tell me it needed some tuning and engine parts as they felt it wasn't running well , I went straight down and asked for specifics , they rattled some stuff off and then stopped smiling when I pointed out they hadnt even looked or they would have noticed the motor was a jap v8 with a blower and a completly different brand to the body and chassies and almost 2 1/2 times the factory power output , I didn't pay for any of the chassis suspension fitting either , to this day when I drive past I toot and call them names
Silly thing is everyone I know has heard the story and no one in the family takes thier cars there anymore fo work choosing to use a provate bloke who we stumbled over , bad news travels far and fast , my companion on the day certainly has done a similar thing , even he was shocked and he knows nothing about cars
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #62
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntechAU
when i had an ed xr6 a few years ago it developed a vibration from under the car, i took it to the local midas where after inspection was told the exhaust from the cat back was shot. anyway i was quoted $1000 to replace it. the manager even offered to remove the metal plate under that cat for free, which all the problem was.

i ended up taking it to a local tyre fitter that also does exhaust and mech repairs, he fitted a complete redback exhaust for $270. Luckily i didnt let midas butter me up with the free offer. needless to say i never darkened thier door step again.
Couple of hyears back I had a shot resonator on the xf van , local muffler place messed about squeezing the pipe claiming the exhaust pipe was buggered , wouldn't remove the resonator and replace it with some pipe so I took it elsewhere and had it done , the pipe was still going strong when I sold it several years later and was quite without the resonator and far as I know 5 years later is still working quitly
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #63
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

For what it is worth... I have swapped a valve out on an OHC engine before, so it may very well be possible with the GT depending on the situation...
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #64
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Just be prepared for a quote and list of defects that closely resembles the yellow pages.
and that would be for a new car!
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #65
fordman302

the sad thing about it is that it is so hard to find a mechanic you can trust, i am sure there are plenty out there but how many bad experiences do you need?
Im one of those self trained people with the help of some mates, so when i bought my au xr8 i thought stuff it i will get it serviced by a well known local mechanic, upon picking up the car he stated " the old plugs looked like they had been dropped on the ground to set the gap" i didnt think anymore of this at the time, two weeks later the engine developed a miss so i took it to him and explained what was happening, he kept the car for a few hours and when i came back he told me it needed new plug leads which he sold to me for 300 odd bucks, went home put them in and the miss was still there, at was at this stage getting quite cranky i decide to have a look myself, i thought i would pull out the plugs and check them sure enough my brand new iridium $160 plugs were stuffed as they had been hitting the pistons or "looked like they had been dropped on the ground to set the gap" turns out the aftermarket heads i had placed the plugs to low and caused this problem, i paid another 180 bucks for a different plug and i was away, dont we pay people to do these jobs to work out these sort of problems, i would have been just as well of throwing a few fifties into the breeze and watching them fly away
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #66
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Two small stories from my local Ford Workshop:
1. Bonnet release cable replaced. The cable handle fell off when I
tested it in their garage, upon collection of the car.
2. Rear brake hoses replaced under Ford recall. It took me another two days
to actually get a written job sheet/receipt for the work.
Radio was blaring when I started the car (I never use it) and I can only
assume that some nob apprentice did the test drive.

I will never go there again. For the second item above, I was forced to
as they would not give me the parts. I felt a bit crook all the while the car
was there.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #67
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I had a comprehensive service done on my VH commodore prior to a trip to the snow one year, done at a reputable service centre. The car was a bit of a hack and was idling a bit rough before the service, I knew there was something wrong. I specifically asked for all spark plugs to be changed and all leads tested as I suspected that was where the fault was.

Anyway, I got the car back and it was still running a bit rough, they said that there was nothing more to do, the plugs and leads had been changed and those parts appeared on the bill accordingly. I was happy, yeah it was a bit rough but it would still get me around, I was looking for a new car anyway (bought a VL turbo later).

So off on my trip to the snow I go and about 500 km into the trip the car runs really rough and then refuses to start. So with a bit of mechanical knowledge and some tools I bought in a town, I do some investigating while parked in the local shopping centre car park.

I found the leads were not new, the were cleaned up old ones and still had old stains on them if you looked carefully. I then pulled the plugs out and these were not new at all (they should have had less than 1000 km on them), the electrodes were heavily eroded and the gaps not even close. In my experience they looked like standard plugs with more than 50 000 - 100 000 km on them, they were in terrible condition. I bought new plugs and fitted them, checked the spark condition from each lead and the car ran beautifully for the rest of the trip. I also noted that the engine oil did not look the colour of engine oil with less than 1000 km on it and looked more like old oil, I changed that too when I got back.

I then took the plugs I had removed back to the place that did the service and asked them to explain why I had been charged for plugs and not given new plugs. He said that the plugs being in that condition after such a short time period meant my car had serious issues and I should book it in and get him to fix it. I said I don't think so but lets see, I removed a number of the plugs that I fitted and dumped them on his desk, they looked fine and were in good condition. He then proceeded to tell me the other plugs I had removed were not from my car and I was trying to get free parts from him.

I thanked him for his time, advised him I would no longer be using his services and then proceeded to let all my friends know what happened, who would have let their friends know and before you know it, all 6000+ soldiers at Holsworthy Barracks would know.

As it would be difficult to prove the plugs were from my engine, I could not take it any further but I have never gone back to that place nor any other member of that franchise chain, nor will I. Dishonesty only gets one bite, there is no three strike rule.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #68
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never "generalise" with mechanics.

However, a mechanic I am trusting with one of my cars will have to prove himself over a decent period of time that he isn't going to rip me off and will treat my vehicle with respect. The problem with this philosophy is that you have no idea what they are really like at first.

Where we live now, the nearest mechanics are 20km away in Blackwater. We've been here three years now, and I still don't really know how "good" they are, apart from one shop we were told immediately to avoid like the plague...most people have lease cars so don't really care who does the servicing, so it's hard to rely on "local knowledge". For most things on our older cars (that I can't do myself that require special tools) we take it to the husband of a friend who used to be a mechanic. Our new G6E we take down to Rockhampton to the Ford dealer of course, and they seem to be pretty switched on.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #69
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_br_johnstone
For what it is worth... I have swapped a valve out on an OHC engine before, so it may very well be possible with the GT depending on the situation...
Not saying it can't be done, but how is it done ? Sump and crank out ?
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #70
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
How can you remove a valve from a cylinder head without removing the head, the valve by design and function is a larger diameter than the valve seat?

Change valve springs without removing the head yes, but not the valves themselves, not without removing the sump, crank, conrod and piston in order to pull the valve out through the bottom. It would be much easier to remove the head.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #71
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No you haven't.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #72
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Change valve springs without removing the head yes, but not the valves themselves, not without removing the sump, crank, conrod and piston in order to pull the valve out through the bottom. .
Reminds me of the old joke about the former gynaecologist who wins a motor mechanic apprentice-of-the-year award for doing a top-end service.

"Why did he win it for that ? - that's not a difficult job".

"True, but he did it through the exhaust pipe".
Old 09-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #73
Gavin Thomas
* 1962 XK Deluxe Sedan *

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
....Change valve springs without removing the head yes, but not the valves themselves, not without removing the sump, crank, conrod and piston in order to pull the valve out through the bottom......
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

True above, same as Stefan said also = "BS".....

Cause even though it may be "physically" possible to remove a valve as per above - - you would never be able to assemble the engine correctly again WITHOUT removing the head. This is because the pistons need to be fitted from the top of the cylinder. Done by using a ring compressor and "dropping" the "slugs" into the bores. I'd like to see someone do that from the crank case..... ...

Never tried it and never would because apart from being stupidly assaboutfaced & upside down miss jane, i don't think it would be possible.

Cheers...
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #74
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

this is going to sound silly and if it could be done why would you but... What if it was the exhaust valve that needs changing and you drop the intake down into the bore then pull the exhaust valve out through the intake port. if it is that much smaller than the intake on any kind of motor like maybe a 3v. But putting back together would be awesome fun lol.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #75
Gavin Thomas
* 1962 XK Deluxe Sedan *

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv8au
.....this is going to sound silly.....
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes it does - now i'm not putting this as a personal attack on you, cause i'm sure you are just having a joke.... But this would make a good example of the heading for this thread !

Keep the laughs coming guy's....
Old 09-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #76
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv8au
this is going to sound silly and if it could be done why would you but... What if it was the exhaust valve that needs changing and you drop the intake down into the bore then pull the exhaust valve out through the intake port. if it is that much smaller than the intake on any kind of motor like maybe a 3v. But putting back together would be awesome fun lol.
Imagine trying to reach down the exhaust port, grab the stem of the loose valve and pull it back up into the valve guide to re fit it, 32 times!

Hang on, imagine trying to get an exhaust valve down the intake port, even more fun.

No offence mate, just a bit of fun. Theory might be there purely in terms of valve and seat diameters (I very much doubt the exhaust valve is that much smaller) but in practice, impossible.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #77
Gavin Thomas
* 1962 XK Deluxe Sedan *

Yes i would very much doupt that the lenght of the valve stem would allow it to physically fit thru the relatively narrow / small and tight curves of the induction ports and runners.

Also i agree that it would proberly not even get past the valve opening let alone the other above mentioned route....

Yes people can say " i'll use a long telescopic magnet" etc, etc,etc,
BUT.... here's the deal breaking pepsi challenge - if some of you guys suggesting "it may be possible" want to take it up..... You will be paid all costs involved, plus labour + bonus if you can actually carry this task out on the nominated Multi valve V8 Ford engine. Remove and re-fit any 1 intake or exhaust valve WITHOUT removing the cylinder head. Obviously engine must run as per normal afterwards....

Any takers ????
Old 09-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #78
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Thomas
Yes i would very much doupt that the lenght of the valve stem would allow it to physically fit thru the relatively narrow / small and tight curves of the induction ports and runners.

Also i agree that it would proberly not even get past the valve opening let alone the other above mentioned route....

Yes people can say " i'll use a long telescopic magnet" etc, etc,etc,
BUT.... here's the deal breaking pepsi challenge - if some of you guys suggesting "it may be possible" want to take it up..... You will be paid all costs involved, plus labour + bonus if you can actually carry this task out on the nominated Multi valve V8 Ford engine. Remove and re-fit any 1 intake or exhaust valve WITHOUT removing the cylinder head. Obviously engine must run as per normal afterwards....

Any takers ????
Not me

Can I watch though?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #79
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not ripped off because it was warranty work, but a certain Ford/Hyundai/Jeep dealer in southern Adelaide gave my wife and I a heap of attitude and stuff arounds a few times when her Getz was getting some work done.

Just a couple of quotes.

Ariel mount snapped, comon fault, I even rang head office before going there just to make sure.

"you broke it Im not fixing that under warranty" (they did fix it after me getting head ofice on the phone)

When getting serviced (not by them of course) there was metal shavings found in the oil.

"mate your always going to get some metal in the gearbox nothing you can do about it"

A seal finally let go in the box I saw the oil and ill tell you what it was like looking at a pool of metalic paint. Finally after that they looked at the box and supprise supprise we got a new one but apparently it takes 3 weeks to install!!!

I will never take a car back there again. Like I said not ripped off money wise but with all the wasted time and BS spun I was more just shafted.
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #80
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well guys here's the verdict.

Took the EL back to Daniel at Pedders in Midland. He tested both front and rear shocks and they came back fine. This has just confirmed what I though and I certainly wont be going back to that workshop again.
Will ring them next week just to kindy advise them that their diagnosis was incorrect and depending on the reaction may ask for an explanation, not that that's going to get me anywhere. Just another place I cant trust to take my cars for a simple service

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #81
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for getting back with the results.
Old 16-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #82
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

everytime i go into repco they try ripping me off lol.. i went in there a while ago and they said $140 for a water pump?? i can get one for less than 50 off my uncle and its better quality lol
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #83
Gavin Thomas
* 1962 XK Deluxe Sedan *

REPCO = R..ip - E..very - P..oor - C. - O..ff !
Old 17-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #84
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Amazing, this thread started out about mechanics ripping people off (supposedly) and degraded into a hit against dealerships, spare parts places and a small argument about how to remove an engine valve. I wonder how long before this one turns into another I HATE this or that dealership??
Don't forget, some people who start these kind of threads don't always give impartial comments about what was said and done.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #85
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
Amazing, this thread started out about mechanics ripping people off (supposedly) and degraded into a hit against dealerships, spare parts places and a small argument about how to remove an engine valve. I wonder how long before this one turns into another I HATE this or that dealership??
Don't forget, some people who start these kind of threads don't always give impartial comments about what was said and done.
You forgot the part about bagging AU Fortes... its a necessary requirement on AFF threads
Old 17-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #86
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
You forgot the part about bagging AU Fortes... its a necessary requirement on AFF threads
While AUs may not be the BEST looking Ford built, they are still a good unit and last well enough. Some people are bums no matter where you go
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post