Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Luxury car prices in Australia

Did anyone read this article on Drive? WOW what an eye opener, I mean I knew that cars in Australia are overpriced but I did not realise they are overpriced by such a phenomenal amount …

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...415-1dgy7.html

I wonder if people would still buy HSVs and FPVs if the price of new M3s or 911 was 60 – 80K …

dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Luxury car prices in Australia

price is a function of demand not cost
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

There's a hell of a lot of 'taxes' in there - the Merc alone had over 100k on it...!

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I'm in Europe at the moment. While I was in Turin (northern Italy) I couldn't believe how many new Fiat 500's there were on the road. Like 1 in every 15 cars. I asked what the price was for one, as in OZ ther were a costly small car and couldn't believe it when I heard a base model is something like 11,000 Euros.... (under 15 grand AUD) I know it isn't a luxury car but none the less, that is very very low compared to what they go for here.

I bought a car price guide before I left... I'm curious to see what ofher more premium models go for compared to Australia.

But agree with what ||| said. Price is more to do with what the competition costs and the market are willing to pay, not what the item costs to produce and import.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
There's a hell of a lot of 'taxes' in there - the Merc alone had over 100k on it...!

Luxury Car Tax & Stamp duty. Talk about double dipping.
Old 18-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
Luxury Car Tax & Stamp duty. Talk about double dipping.
Particularly disturbing when you see that Holden devalues by 15k when it's exported.

That's not demand, that's outright greed, especially when a quarter of the sale price goes on taxes...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t expect things to ever change … but I thought it’s good that sometimes the papers are actually reporting on something to really educate the population rather than the standard political BS.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Luxury tax is nothing but a scam.
"Oh you can afford a nice car, that means you can afford to give us thousands of dollars for no reason"

How much is Luxury car tax? 30% I have heard. That is just ******** and taking advantage of people who would like a decent car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LCT is a joke! The people who can afford these cars are already in the high tax bracket and the government wants more money off them.
Been looking at EVO X's lately $78,000 here, $36,000 in the US, seriously what a joke.
Has anyone noticed that when you look at the high end Euro's on carsales or what have you they never show the before Gov Charges price.. to many people would realise how much of their money is going straight to Canberra.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
sanchoXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Luxury tax is nothing but a scam.
"Oh you can afford a nice car, that means you can afford to give us thousands of dollars for no reason"

How much is Luxury car tax? 30% I have heard. That is just ******** and taking advantage of people who would like a decent car.
Exactly right, if you earn a decent amount you pay more tax, if you want a decent car you pay more tax, if you work 2 jobs you pay more tax. Thats why the Focus RS costs $65k. Thats the problem when you have a greedy government. I'll bet soon that if you buy a V8 you will have to pay extra carbon tax!!
sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They have to pay for their own retirements some how, and also the dole bludgers!! (maybe not for much longer though with Juliaaaaaaa).
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
xp_ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
They have to pay for their own retirements some how, and also the dole bludgers!! (maybe not for much longer though with Juliaaaaaaa).
and those stinkin breeders that want the rest of us to pay for half their childcare....
xp_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
billy302

This all started after the second world war.
Manufacturers in Australia would not have survived without import duty on cars.
You would never have bought a Holden when compared to cars made overseas.
Local content and assembly plants here would have closed. There were many cars made overseas that were far better than the local products.
Without import duty of as much as 100% on some cars, Holden and Ford manufacturing plants would have closed long ago.
Today we still have high tariffs on luxury imports so we can still sell inferior cars at a profit.
The Falcon much as we like it, is not a competitor for the equivalent BMW or Mercedes.
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

...the bastards...
Old 19-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

I priced a BMW 330D Coupe. $105000
Same car in the UK is over 50k cheaper.

I will not be getting one.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchoXB
Exactly right, if you earn a decent amount you pay more tax, if you want a decent car you pay more tax, if you work 2 jobs you pay more tax. Thats why the Focus RS costs $65k. Thats the problem when you have a greedy government. I'll bet soon that if you buy a V8 you will have to pay extra carbon tax!!
High income earners already pay more income tax, So why should they have to pay more on products above the standard 10% GST 10% is a lot of tax on $100,000.

One day speeding and other fines will probably be based on your salary tax bracket. Earn more then $100,000 a year, you can pay for your speeding fine plus and extra 50% tax. Would not surprise me at all.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post