Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Auto exterior vinyl wraps

Right now i'm going through a whole bunch of ideas on how to spend the LEAST amount of money and dress up my newly acquired DC LTD at the same time.

What i've just thought about is instead of having the paint fixed up etc i'd use vinyl instead.
For example, the roof has a few small rust pimples developing, easily sanded off but I suck at spray painting and no doubt i'd screw it up but with vinyl it shouldn't be as much of a problem.
Do you know of any companies which sell plain black or white vinyl sheeting for automotive purposes? Would i be best seeing a sign writer?

I was also thinking a camo printed vinyl wrap over the front quarters, roof and boot would be pretty cool lol

I know its a much cheaper alternative to painting and you can have some good fun with it. Shouldn't be that hard to apply with minimal bubbling - i'm not looking for a show finish, just something different. Perhaps Camo patterned vinyl on the bonnet, roof and boot. Black vinyl on the sides and i'll just spray the bumpers black as they'd be too tricky to do. I'm looking at doing this all myself

Last edited by Fev; 20-04-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
vp920b

Default Re: Auto exterior vinyl wraps

It's a popular trend in my hometown right now(Indonesia).

Even Audi R8 in my hometown or Lambo LP640 has been wrapped of with stickers/Vinyl whole body, because it's cheap($500-1000 equivalent to OZ).

But there is some issue. From my friend who owns the shop said, 5% clear coat will be peel off using the factory paint if you peel off the vinyl. 50% clear coat will be peel off using the repainted from repairer if you want to peel off the vinyl.

I don't dare if there is an issue like that.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks
vp920b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah i'm not worried about that. I won't be peeling it off - or if i do it will be to re-apply a different vinyl.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a thread on boostcruising with info!
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
craigxr8

"Shouldn't be that hard to apply with minimal bubbling"

Lol you have no idea how hard it is unless you have wrapped a vehicle before. Coming from a signwriter trust me you're better off getting a professional to do it if you want it to look good (no joins, bubbles, creases) But it will be pricey as it's a good solid day or two work let alone the supply of whatever vinyl.

And if the paint is from factory there will be no issues when it comes time to peel it off. Yes if it's been resprayed you have to trust they have prepped it correctly before they laid down the paint
craigxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I emailed these guys in Sydney

www.Carbonwrap.com.au

The carbon stuff they use has a weave through it ... making bubbling not as bad as a perfectly smooth finish.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
casabonka
You can call me Chris

also in signage - very easy to stuff up laying up vinyl on cars. Its not too bad if you have an 'easy apply' vinyl on a flat surface, but still a pain in the ****!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
craigxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
also in signage - very easy to stuff up laying up vinyl on cars. Its not too bad if you have an 'easy apply' vinyl on a flat surface, but still a pain in the ****!
not to mention you will be forking out a few thousand bucks for the "Avery Easy RS" vinyl and even then i can assure you an armature will get creases. Curved panels aren't as easy to conform as you might think
craigxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigxfute
not to mention you will be forking out a few thousand bucks for the "Avery Easy RS" vinyl and even then i can assure you an armature will get creases. Curved panels aren't as easy to conform as you might think
haha, very true!!!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post