Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 28-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #61
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Re: vicious dingoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Call the police if they are up to no good? Or understand they are just trying to knock on my door, and Id talk to them and probably tell them Im not interested in their better phone deal. See Im a human, not a dingo.
I can only assume you don't understand what I'm saying, you have the ability to rationalise, a dingo/dog does not...

Quote:
I can only assume based on your analogy that its their home, that your view is we dont have any right to elevate our needs over those of an animal. Then I can also only assume youre a vegetarian? Because if youre not, then you have to recognise you see yourself as a species above the other species you share the planet with, that is you dont live by a standard youre now setting for others. If that were not true, you wouldnt eat them. If you dont eat them, well good for you, however I do as do millions of others. Point, humans are the ultimate predator on this planet, and I have no qualms with entering the habitat of other animals, and protecting some habitat for said animals, and hunting them to manageable numbers and protecting some animals.
When did everyone become so obnoxious about 'their' rights as top of the food chain? Just because I'm at the top of it, it doesn't mean I have to kill everything if I'm threatened by it.

Vegetarian or not, I don't eat dingo...and I hardly see what that has to do with me believing that a protected species should not be put down because a person has willingly gone into their environment and suffered the consequences of being irresponsible.

Fishermen don't just catch everything and kill it, they understand and respect the animals of the ocean, and understand that every day they go out fishing, they could come across an animal that has the 'potential' to kill them, sting-rays, sharks, saw fish, sword fish, jelly fish, the list goes on.

But with a dingo, it doesn't seem to matter.

Why is that so hard for a person to understand?

This article was never about hunting to maintain numbers, it was about killing an animal that behaved as a wild animal would...ergo, our rights are more important. You believe that they are, because we're top of the food chain - I believe you're selfish to think you're that important. But I guess my belief isn't important, because yours is.

You don't see every day people walking into a lion enclosure do you? A lion is just a big cat isn't it? What's the problem there, oh that's right, the lion will kill you - a dingo is no different.

Quote:
'Conditioned' at varying times means different things. The animals that stay away from humans and their campsites would not be conditioned, those who are less human averse are seen to be 'conditioned'. At other times, only an animal that has approached a human, not simply the campsite, would be seen as conditioned. That definition will change depending who is in government, who is running the Parks and Wildlife Dept and what pressure groups have the most clout, not to mention if there is no current public awareness (out of the peoples minds) then the issue will be ignored while if attacks are recent its more likely to be in the peoples mind and a hot potato a government will have to juggle. Youll have business groups in the area, family groups, animal welfare groups, and simply opponents of whatever the current government happens to be all vying for some angle.
I'm not sure where you got that from, but conditioned means the same thing every way you say it, there's no double meaning.

Humans are conditioned to believe they are more important than anyone else, I don't believe we are.

I don't have to agree with you, nor do you have to agree with me.

Quote:
Sometimes the issue will be ignored, and sometimes a government will need to please all groups, all with opposing views. Like it was mentioned earlier, some animals were relocated from the Island to the mainland due to high populations of Dingoes, an act that is illegal as they are a declared pest on the mainland. Sometimes, the number of animals on the Island is found to be too high for the ecology of the Island and a set number are targeted, sometimes culled, other times relocated.
I don't know how much you've read about dingoes, but according to Fraser Island's Dingo Management strategy they will 'humanely' destroy, any dingo that is seen as aggressive or dangerous...so according to that logic, there is a potential for all of them to be destroyed, at some point.

Funnily enough, most of the attacks that have occurred on Fraser are; in line with Dingo breeding season, so of course they're going to be more territorial...but no one seems to take that into consideration, because Easter is a lucrative time of year on Fraser, there are $$$ to be made...

Quote:
Your past numbers wont mean much.
Animal control is about that. They feed on not only what they can catch, but what they scavenge. Oh, and they've been reported to have brought down horses too. Not that Im avenging horses, but the idea they only take small prey is so uninformed its funny. In large enough numbers, they will take down almost anything, including cattle. Another reason to cull SOME, the size of the prey is determined by the number in the pack.
I'm fully aware of what animal control is - this isn't animal control, this is revenge, plain and simple.

Quote:
I wont argue that people have not done the wrong thing, they have, nor that the parents of this young girl should have been more vigilant, they should have and I bet they know it. But Im also not going to attack the parents as its easy enough to do, and I highly doubt it was intentional. As someone else said, kids are quick and sometimes a parent has too much on their mind.
I'm glad you won't, I've got nothing against this family, but responsibility really needs to start being taken by people, especially as we go into their natural habitat.

Quote:
But Im also not going to cry when a few dingoes are shot. It isnt their Island, its ours being the dominate species. And Im not saying all Dingoes should be removed, it should be shared, they are part of the allure of the Island. However if it comes to a choice between animal and human, Ill choose human every day.
You just supported my reasoning that more people I meet, the more I like my dog

Quote:
You seem to think tourism on Fraser is new.

Where do you live? In a bark hut built in the canopy of the trees so as not to disturb the native habitat? Or do you live in a house, on land cleared at some point in time. Do you swing from the trees so as not to need roads that also result in dead animals? Or is your car and the wider economy more important than some animals?

Youre being silly, and spouting a double standard. They are not killing off all Dingoes on Fraser. They SHOULD be trying to manage the numbers. Unfortunately, its a hot potato, and the government wont please everyone.
So because I don't agree with you, I'm being silly? There's no double standard to what I'm saying...

The two biggest threats to 'purebred' dingoes, hybridisation and the human race...I think you'll find most of the dingoes on the mainland, are hybridised.

edit: I'm not begrudging you an opinion, I just have a different one.

I'm not a tree hugging hippy either, I believe that animals have their place - Fraser is theirs, not mine. The same as the rivers in the top end belong to the crocodiles, I therefore don't swim in them.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 28-04-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 28-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #62
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

common sense is not so common

Last edited by thefargo; 22-10-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 28-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #63
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Why can't they just kill all the dingos on the island? Then no one would be attacked because there are none?

Same with Kangaroos they're useless bastards and they don't even taste that good.
Old 28-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #64
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, we were just on Fraser yesterday. The last report says pretty much what our tour guide was saying to us. That the last couple of attacks happened in behind the dunes where children had wandered unsupervised.

Yes, there is plenty of warnings about dingoes and other wild animals. Parents are foolish to believe they can enter the bush land in complete safety. As our tour guide even said "This isn't Dream World, or Seaworld". We were informed about the common belief about size in relation to the dingo, but also warned to be careful, just the same.

We, however, didn't see a single dingo during the whole day. We were hoping to, but it never happened. Even though we never saw any dingoes, we did not allow our children to be away from us. The had to hold our hands at all times, and if a dingo was seen, our plan was for us to return our kids to the bus immediately. Our children are 5 and 2 and half.

The other thing is that we have 2 blue heelers. This is actually the breed that is linked to the most attacks on family children. Again, the problem comes down to complacency. The dogs show loyalty to the master, therefore they are believed to be loyal to the children. This is so wrong. There is no room for complacency regarding animals. We don't allow our children near our dogs alone, despite the amount of training they have had. (Both dogs and kids). We are constantly watching the dogs body language. And if we need to go inside (even just for 30 seconds), the kids go inside too.

Simple rules to protect the children and the dogs.

@ Sezzy. An animal that attacks a person once, and gets away with it, will attack again. The next time it will be more bold in its approach. I do agree with killing the 2 dogs that attacked, as opposed to blaming all the dogs on the Island.

According to our guide, the committee and experts invovled believe that Island would comfortably support up to 200 dogs. Past numbers and breeding at times of feeding bans have supported this number.
Old 28-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #65
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Ban unarmed humans from Fraser. Problem solvered!
Baby jesus hates greenies...
Old 28-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #66
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Animal control is about that. They feed on not only what they can catch, but what they scavenge. Oh, and they've been reported to have brought down horses too. Not that Im avenging horses, but the idea they only take small prey is so uninformed its funny. In large enough numbers, they will take down almost anything, including cattle. Another reason to cull SOME, the size of the prey is determined by the number in the pack.

Last time I looked horses and cows are introduced species, and are in very low numbers on Frazer island.
Old 28-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #67
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Baby jesus hates greenies...

Dunno about that - the typical JC image kinda looks like a hippie to me.
Must be the long hair and sandals .....

Old 28-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #68
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Last time I looked horses and cows are introduced species, and are in very low numbers on Frazer island.
There used to be brumbies on Fraser which the dingos fed on. I don't know about them bringing one down but the brumbies got sand colic which did make them very sick and kill them. Easy food for the dingo in the day.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 28-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #69
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

News reported that 3 more dogs where shot today because they showed aggressive tendancies?????

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 28-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #70
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
I can only assume you don't understand what I'm saying, you have the ability to rationalise, a dingo/dog does not...
No, your analogy was poor. Its because we can rationalise that we should be able to see reason and the necessity to cull some animals, and remove those that are dangerous. If we cant legally move them to the mainland, what otehr method of removal is there? Yeah yeah, leave them and close the island. Again, no-one is officially trying to wipe them out on the island. And people have been running businesses there for a long long time.

When did everyone become so obnoxious about 'their' rights as top of the food chain? Just because I'm at the top of it, it doesn't mean I have to kill everything if I'm threatened by it.
Umm, we've pretty much always been that. We hunt, we eat, we control, we farm, basically we domesticate.

Vegetarian or not, I don't eat dingo...and I hardly see what that has to do with me believing that a protected species should not be put down because a person has willingly gone into their environment and suffered the consequences of being irresponsible.
Oh I see, thanks for that admission, its only animals you think are tasty. Theyre all animals, either you dont put yourself at the top, or you do. If you eat meat, you do put yourself at the top at least when it suits you.

And a child was bitten, not the parent. Lets not place responsibilities on her and spout understanding of a Dingo instead. Its a child, not in the sense of oh the nasty dingo bit a defenceless child, but in the sense the dingo likely has more cognitive ability than the child, unless it was a pup. Much of the dingo population will stay well away from people.

Fishermen don't just catch everything and kill it, they understand and respect the animals of the ocean, and understand that every day they go out fishing, they could come across an animal that has the 'potential' to kill them, sting-rays, sharks, saw fish, sword fish, jelly fish, the list goes on.
LOL.

But with a dingo, it doesn't seem to matter.
And a cow doesnt matter to you when you eat a steak. I suppose they grow on a Woolworths tree along with all the other things we like to eat. Again, they do matter because no-one is trying to eliminate all dingoes from the island.

Why is that so hard for a person to understand?
Why is it so hard to understand the need to balance the needs of the Islands and regions economy, with the needs of the public, and the animals themselves?

This article was never about hunting to maintain numbers, it was about killing an animal that behaved as a wild animal would...ergo, our rights are more important. You believe that they are, because we're top of the food chain - I believe you're selfish to think you're that important. But I guess my belief isn't important, because yours is.
It seems to me at least part of your belief is covered in that the dingoes will survive there. Apparently you cant see how your belief is impacting everyone else. I want to use the island, and protect wildlife HUMANELY, and protect children who also use the island and see the people whose livelihoods depend on it to do well.

You don't see every day people walking into a lion enclosure do you? A lion is just a big cat isn't it? What's the problem there, oh that's right, the lion will kill you - a dingo is no different.
Yet people live in Africa. Secondly, you wouldnt go into a dingoes enclosure either. However we do go where snakes, dingoes and many other critters live, we generally live among them.

I'm not sure where you got that from, but conditioned means the same thing every way you say it, there's no double meaning.
I told you where that comes from. The politics of it all. For it to be deemed 'conditioned to humans', will depend on the entire political climate. You know, people who believe as you do to shut the island off and leave it to Dingoes, or to let people take the risk, and those like me who dont see a problem with management. Its a park, and governments need to be involved in what happens there, and they must please as many as they can, or just play politics with it, along with an opposition and anyone else that wants to shove their face in the issue to point score.

Humans are conditioned to believe they are more important than anyone else, I don't believe we are.
No, not anyone. But when it comes to other species, yep up to a point. We do farm for the express purpose of killing. How is that not, making us more important?

I don't have to agree with you, nor do you have to agree with me.

I don't know how much you've read about dingoes, but according to Fraser Island's Dingo Management strategy they will 'humanely' destroy, any dingo that is seen as aggressive or dangerous...so according to that logic, there is a potential for all of them to be destroyed, at some point.
You might want to see above, re: politics. Its been going on up here for years, and still dingoes exist on the island. Theres potential for lots of things to happen, but nary a skeric of evidence to support them.

Funnily enough, most of the attacks that have occurred on Fraser are; in line with Dingo breeding season, so of course they're going to be more territorial...but no one seems to take that into consideration, because Easter is a lucrative time of year on Fraser, there are $$$ to be made...
And lives to live, just like yours, but yours doenst involve the complexity of Dingoes.

You drive on roads, or receive goods driven on roads, many of which kill roos and other wildlife. I see them, and smell them often enough. But apparently that human benefit at the expense of animals is irrelevant to the double standard you want to set.

I'm fully aware of what animal control is - this isn't animal control, this is revenge, plain and simple.
No, its preventative measures. Once its bitten a child, it will likely do so again. At which time a government is held responsible for failing to take action earlier. Yes, they could ban tourism, and suffer that wrath too, not to mention damage the lives of many who live not only on the Island, but in the region as a whole.

I'm glad you won't, I've got nothing against this family, but responsibility really needs to start being taken by people, especially as we go into their natural habitat.

You just supported my reasoning that more people I meet, the more I like my dog
What does that prove, it could be thats more a statement of you, than of anyone youve met.

So because I don't agree with you, I'm being silly? There's no double standard to what I'm saying...
Yes there is, youre fine with killing a cow (if you eat them), but not killing a few Dingoes.

And no its not your disagreeing with me that makes you wrong. Its being wrong that makes you wrong.

The two biggest threats to 'purebred' dingoes, hybridisation and the human race...I think you'll find most of the dingoes on the mainland, are hybridised.
I think youll find the current understanding of island dingoes differs from the one just a few years earlier. You may want to consider the motivations of those making the claim these are purebred, against the position a year or so before where they were said not to be pure.

They may be the MOST purebred, but that doesnt mean they are purebred. Not that that is any reason to kill them.
Old 28-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #71
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
It wasnt a comment re: poor horses etc, or protection of horses. It was to address the misconception about size and dingoes attacking. They will pull down a horse, and will for example pick out a small buffalo from a herd despite the large ones trying to defend it. I say a small one because Ive not got any evidence to support them pulling down a large one, but it is widely believed that if there are sufficient numbers in the pack, they will bring down an adult buffalo or horse. It takes hours, and they swap roles with some animals resting while others join the attack (kind of like a footy match with interchange), and it goes on for hours until the prey animal is tired and can no longer fend them off.

The concept was likened to hyenas, of which there is footage of large packs bringing down very large animals. One hyena on its own, or just a few, no they wont they will stick to smaller prey. Dingoes behave similarly.

How much is accurately describing dingoes, and how much relates to hybrids I cant say.

Straight out of wiki
Quote:
Dingoes often kill by biting the throat and adjust their hunting strategies to suit circumstances. For bigger prey, due to their strength and potential danger, two or more individuals are needed. Such group formations are unnecessary when hunting rabbits or other small prey.[8]

Kangaroo hunts are probably more successful in open areas than in places with high densities of vegetation, and juvenile kangaroos are killed more often than adults. Dingoes typically hunt large kangaroos by having lead dingoes chase the quarry toward their waiting pack mates, which are skilled at cutting corners in chases. In one area of Central Australia, dingoes hunted kangaroos by chasing them toward a wire fence which would hinder their escape.[27] Birds can be captured when they do not fly or fail to take off fast enough. Dingoes also steal the prey of eagles and the coordinated attack of three dingoes for killing a large monitor lizard was observed.[28] On Fraser Island, dingoes supposedly hunted and killed horses in coordinated attacks.[29] Additionally, active fishing has been proven on the island. There are also reports which state that some dingoes virtually live entirely on human food through stealing, scavenging, or begging. In fact dingoes are well-known for such a behaviour in some parts of Australia. It is suspected that this might cause the loss of hunting strategies or a change in the social structures.[30]

During studies at the Fortescue River in the mid 1970s, it was observed how most of the studied dingoes learned to hunt and kill sheep very quickly, even when they never had prior contact with sheep. Although the dingoes killed many sheep at that time, they still killed and ate kangaroos. During the early 1990s, wild dogs were observed to have an extraordinarily high success rate when killing sheep and did not have to hunt in a coordinated manner to achieve this. Often a dog only chases and outruns a single sheep, just to turn away suddenly and chase another. Therefore, only a small proportion of the hurt or killed sheep and goats are also eaten which seems to be the rule and not the exception. The dog probably falls into some kind of "killing spree", due to the rather panicked and uncontrolled flight behaviour of the sheep, who run in front of the dingoes time and again and therefore cause one attack after another. Dingoes often attack sheep from behind during the sheep's flight, which causes injuries on the sheep's hind legs. Rams are normally attacked from the side – probably to avoid the horns – or sometimes on the testicles. Inexperienced dingoes or those who kill "for fun", sometimes cause significant damage on the sheep's hind legs, which often causes death.[31][32]

Nearly all dingo attacks on cattle and Water Buffalo are directed against calves. Hunting success depends on the health and condition of the adult cattle and on their ability to defend their calves. The defense behaviour of the mother can be sufficient to fend off an attack. Therefore the basic tactics of attacks are: distracting the mother, rousing the herd/group and waiting (sometimes for hours), and testing of the herd to find the weakest members. While locating a cattle herd, it could be observed how the dingoes made several feint attacks, at which they concentrated on the calves at first and, later on, attacked the mothers to distract them. Thereupon, the dingoes retreated and waited at a distance from the herd, until the rest of the cows had gathered their calves and moved on. During another occasion of an attack, "sub-groups" of a dingo-pack were observed to take turns in attacking and resting, until the mother was too tired to effectively defend her calf. It was also observed how dingoes hunting a water buffalo with an estimated weight of 200 kg took turns in biting the buffalo's legs during the chase.[8]

Last edited by fmc351; 28-04-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 28-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #72
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys if your going to use part of my sig could you please get it right.

Seriously though I think this is a debate that no one can win as has been said,its politics. Its going to be a case of everyone taking responsibility to ensure as far as possible that neither human nor dingo cause problems for each other.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 28-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #73
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Just because we've always been that way, it doesn't make it right to continue in that fashion...

Like I said, you have your opinion, I have mine...

Because I don't agree with your opinion doesn't make it any less valid than yours, and you twisting words to suit your argument does you no favours.

If you want to keep stuffing it down my throat, that I'm wrong and you're right, well you go right ahead...I couldn't give a rats if you think I'm wrong, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world, or on this forum with this opinion.

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com....sitor-numbers/

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226046070071

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 28-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #74
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Just because we've always been that way, it doesn't make it right to continue in that fashion...

Like I said, you have your opinion, I have mine...

Because I don't agree with your opinion doesn't make it any less valid than yours, and you twisting words to suit your argument does you no favours.

If you want to keep stuffing it down my throat, that I'm wrong and you're right, well you go right ahead...I couldn't give a rats if you think I'm wrong, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world, or on this forum with this opinion.

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com....sitor-numbers/

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226046070071
You should read your links. they say exactly what Ive already said.

The three 'other' dingoes killed, were all before this incident, not a result of it. Not related, and as a result of aggressive behaviour. Just as I said, controlling them, as has been the case for decades. Yet they still exist. No-one is trying to eliminate dingoes from the island, which was part of your objections. Theyre killing all the 'dingoses'. No, they arent.

The other article is the politics of it. And there is no agreement, just an uproar, and people suggesting talks, and well the same crap that has been going for years. Why else would there be, groups for business operators, and a group to save the dingoes and government departments already geared towards 'action'? Because its nothing new.

Quote:
``In 2002 there were 15 dingoes destroyed. In more recent years the average has been around five or less,’’ she said.
Hardly seems like theyre devastating the population.

You say Im stuffing something down your throat? Grow up. Yeah yeah, you just dont like being called out on your double standard. Cows are food, dingoes are special, I get it.
Old 28-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #75
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You should read your links. they say exactly what Ive already said.

The three 'other' dingoes killed, were all before this incident, not a result of it. Not related, and as a result of aggressive behaviour. Just as I said, controlling them, as has been the case for decades. Yet they still exist. No-one is trying to eliminate dingoes from the island, which was part of your objections. Theyre killing all the 'dingoses'. No, they arent.

The other article is the politics of it. And there is no agreement, just an uproar, and people suggesting talks, and well the same crap that has been going for years. Why else would there be, groups for business operators, and a group to save the dingoes and government departments already geared towards 'action'? Because its nothing new.

Hardly seems like theyre devastating the population.

You say Im stuffing something down your throat? Grow up. Yeah yeah, you just dont like being called out on your double standard. Cows are food, dingoes are special, I get it.
Bollocks.

My objection is that people aren't taking responsibility and animals are dying as a result.

Cows aren't facing the decimation of numbers that dingoes are...when they do...I bet you still won't stop eating meat. Cows are bred for human consumption, if you're trying to make an argument out of that, you're barking up the wrong tree. You're trying to argue about food consumption versus an animals survival as a species...there's no correlation there, and never will be. Ergo, NO double standard. Get over it.

And as I also said earlier, autumn is breeding season...once again, a little bit of knowledge of animal behaviour during these seasons suggests that perhaps during this period, tourists should be banned from the island, to ensure both the safety of the visitors and the inhabitants, ie the dingo.

The 'other article' is about the problems these dingoes face - 500 vehicles in one day? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that there's no viability for a dingo in that situation, further exacerbated by the following comment;

Quote:
"The dingo's diet is 40% fish and they need access to the coast,” Mrs Kilpatrick said.

“At the moment they are just not getting that due to the amount of traffic.”
Then go through and read the comments underneath. You might just be surprised.

And the article that you seem to base it on - look at the photo. Does that honestly look like a well fed dingo to you?

Look at the crowd of onlookers, yeah, they sure look like they've got the dingoes best interest at heart.

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 29-04-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 29-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #76
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Bollocks.

My objection is that people aren't taking responsibility and animals are dying as a result.
Youre mixing things up. No-one is defending the clowns in the picture in that article you linked. They are defending a little girl, and taking the responsible steps to remove that particular animal or pair, while maintaining a viable population of said animals.

Cows aren't facing the decimation of numbers that dingoes are...when they do...I bet you still won't stop eating meat. Cows are bred for human consumption, if you're trying to make an argument out of that, you're barking up the wrong tree. You're trying to argue about food consumption versus an animals survival as a species...there's no correlation there, and never will be. Ergo, NO double standard. Get over it.
There is if you stick to the original concept of animal rights over human activity which was your beef, no pun intended. I dont know what youre trying to change your argument to now.

And as I also said earlier, autumn is breeding season...once again, a little bit of knowledge of animal behaviour during these seasons suggests that perhaps during this period, tourists should be banned from the island, to ensure both the safety of the visitors and the inhabitants, ie the dingo.
Yeah yeah, ban tourists, in tourist season. Again, not your lifestyle, livelihood and investment at stake. Meanwhile youll keep benefiting from the effects your lifestyle has on the environment.

The 'other article' is about the problems these dingoes face - 500 vehicles in one day? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that there's no viability for a dingo in that situation, further exacerbated by the following comment;
Mrs Kilpatrick speaks from where the sun dont shine. They do fish, and they still can, in fact they wouldnt be eating fish if that were true, yet they still are, they find it in the scat. You might want to consider the other thing the island is famous for, Tailor, and they are seasonal, July to Sep/Oct). They also have access to the lakes, which also have fish.

But yeah, there can be a lot of traffic, and maybe that can be dealt with. I never objected to measures to control peoples behaviour either.

Then go through and read the comments underneath. You might just be surprised.

And the article that you seem to base it on - look at the photo. Does that honestly look like a well fed dingo to you?

Look at the crowd of onlookers, yeah, they sure look like they've got the dingoes best interest at heart.
you should go back and read. I never said no-one deserves to be bitten. Or that the dingoes are never provoked, or that some people dont bring this on themselves. Theres too many ******* in Aus, I cant help that, but that doesnt mean the people of the region should be made to suffer.

But I did say that whatever mistakes her parents made, they werent bitten, the kid was. She is not responsible at all, despite her mistake. Regardless, the dingo in question has now, and obviously had prior to, got the idea of attacking a human. Bye bye.

Should people be fined heavily for breaching rules, absolutely. Just like the tools in the picture, or the ones who leave food unsecured, or feed the dingoes.
Old 29-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #77
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously?

You might want to re-read my posts, because you keep coming back to cows. It's not about cows - if it were some wierd and wonderful species of cow that there were less than 500 of...yep, I would be saying the same thing. But it's not...it's Dingoes - who on that island, are protected. We as humans, willingly enter their area, and continually do the wrong thing. The innocent people who don't do the wrong thing, suffer as a result (ie those that do feed the animals walk away, and the dingo attacks someone who didn't feed them).

I'm not responsible for what those before me did, and to try to push it to that is asinine to say the least, but if you feel that makes you win, go right ahead.

See, I have a big problem with the suggestion that I don't care that a child got attacked. But it happens all too frequently, that a child suffers as a direct result of their parents actions, and not just in these situations.

The problem is people AREN'T being fined heavily. They haven't stopped feeding them, and to me it honestly seems that are doing nothing to prevent this kind of incident from occurring. Aside from putting the dingo responsible down - that's not good management.

Perhaps you can go back to the main point - post on page 2...

Quote:
All animals have the potential to be territorial, hell my dog goes ballistic if he even hears something in our yard. He's trained to understand that he's not allowed to attack anyone who comes in my house though, a dingo is not.

I'll be honest, I like animals, and I really hate to see this happen regardless of whether they are territorial. We as a society seem to kill anything that behaves as a normal wild animal.

I don't condone animals attacking children, or anyone for that matter, but the dog is behaving as it would in it's natural habitat.

I get that these animals have shown to be dangerous, but given that Fraser is a World Heritage area, and the dingo's are protected species, it seems that killing them because they're behaving as a 'wild animal' would behave ordinarily, seems a little contradictory to the scheme of things.

If Fraser is such an important place, as we're all led to believe, it seems that as humans, we're in the wrong, and Fraser should be a no-go zone...

Elsewhere in Australia, they're poisoned with 1080 as they're seen to be a pest, because they're doing what wild animals do...hunt...

We're going to end up with nothing left if we just keep killing it all when it behaves in it's normal fashion. We take their habitat because we want somewhere to live, and animals pay the ultimate price. We want new houses, the animals have to pay the price.

In an environment such as this, I don't think there's an option for anyone to not take responsibility for what happens on the island. If this country is serious about conservation, perhaps the tourist dollar should be at the back of our mind, not the front.
What I said, and what I believe hasn't changed, and it won't.

Why you've twisted it to be about cows beats the hell out of me - you're trying to compare apples with onions, not apples with apples.

From where I sit, everyone is concerned with what the dingoes did, yep, they behaved like the wild animal they are. The only way you're going to prevent that, and I do say prevent, not stop completely; is to tame them, particularly if people are so insistent on going out there, and if the money is that important. It's either that or close the island to tourists completely, which, as you have repeatedly said, is unfair, as the human's suffer.

You twisted it to be about maintaining numbers - which was also not what it was about - the crux of it is that a child was attacked by dingoes and subsequently the dingoes were put down.

So if you're insistent on twisting it, to be something it's not, I'm sorry, discussion's over.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 29-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #78
burnz
VFII SS UTE

why stop at killing dingo's??
croc's, sharks, drop bears, koalas, roos, wombats, box jelly fish, stingrays..
KILL EM ALL...

oh and those pesky humans, have you ever seen those humans attack??
better start culling them too..
Old 29-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #79
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

News flash - The Royal Wedding was tragically marred today by a ravening horde of warrigal devil-dogs.
Hundreds of Australian mongrels tore through Westminster Abbey snarling, drooling, and snapping, and savagely bit anyone at reach. One guest was taken to the vets for treatment inadvertently due to her horsey appearance.
An anonymous queen was quoted as saying "we are thoroughly disgusted that the corgis have not done what they were designed to do - that is, cause any attacking animals to choke on their overstuffed carcases".
Prince Harry's father has escaped injury because he wasn't invited.
Old 29-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #80
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Here is a dingo with a baby. It doesn't look vicious.

This thread is going around in circles.
Old 29-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #81
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Geez Louise
This thread is going around in circles.[/QUOTE]

Agree. Though it may be spiralling downwards .....
Old 29-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #82
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I just posted that pic to lighten the mood.

It is sad a little girl got hurt but you can debate your point only so much...I think it has all been said.
Old 29-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #83
burnz
VFII SS UTE

killer dolphins
http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/61945/detail/
Closed Thread