Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 
Default Backyard finds!

was out in the paddock today and when we brought the property a few months ago there was a sand pit in the yard and we havent gotten around to doing anything with it etc as yet so the kids get to have a bit of fun with it for the time being when they come round.

Anyway, was walking past the sand pit and something caught my eye, dunno how it wasnt picked up beforehand due to the kids playing in there etc but i found these!

Glass Bottle Moulds!

Anyway, found a few other goodies around the place too, i found a couple of lengths of 75mm RHS that i used on the new shed build which help cut costs, a new roll of chicken wire hidden in long grass, an old chicken coop which is now a pig pen for the mrs's mini pig, plus a couple of other odds and ends over the last couple of months so was curious as to what you've found in YOUR yard!!

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Backyard finds!

Stubbie bottles???!!

Now growing up in an old (almost queenslander type house) as a kid i found heaps of live .303 rounds. But the best story came from the old bloke who used to live next door. He was in his late 50s/early 60s (I was about 12?) and he was telling me that his house and my parents house were used briefly in WW2 by the yank medical corps.

While digging in his back yard gardening (back in the 1960s) they hit upon a timber box which had some stencilling on it.

Inside... wrapped in an oily rag was a still mint Thompson machinegun.
Being the good citizens they were it was handed in to the local Police.
No way in the world Id do that these days!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Stubbie bottles???!!

Now growing up in an old (almost queenslander type house) as a kid i found heaps of live .303 rounds. But the best story came from the old bloke who used to live next door. He was in his late 50s/early 60s (I was about 12?) and he was telling me that his house and my parents house were used briefly in WW2 by the yank medical corps.

While digging in his back yard gardening (back in the 1960s) they hit upon a timber box which had some stencilling on it.

Inside... wrapped in an oily rag was a still mint Thompson machinegun.
Being the good citizens they were it was handed in to the local Police.
No way in the world Id do that these days!
yeh think its for stubbies!!

pretty amazing find that old gun... or even if you did find it least hand it to the war memorial!

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
Old 28-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hell if i had found it, id buy a violin case for it...

Old 28-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

mostly all i find in my yard here is the nieghbour`s dogs.

but on my father`s old property where i grew up we would often find old coins, bottles, etc. the place had been the site of a large sawmill with about 30 families living there before the second world war.

we would also find a lot of old army gear in the scrub after they had been exercising in the area. would find bags and bags of black plastic dummy bullets about as big as a finger. was a bit of fun putting a hand ful in the old 44 galon drum incinerater and waiting for the bang bang bang.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
old_mate
Smash the Boost

i pulled down an old garden shed and pulled up the slab, it had all cracked and had started to fall downhill (yard is on a small slope)

dug underneath old slab to facilitate new retaining wall and found most of a HQ era statesman that had been cut up and used as fill. all doors, rear quarters, half the roof.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

i dont care what kinda car, that woulda been pretty sweet find... even bittersweet in a way...

Old 29-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard a story about a place in South Fremantle -

A guy owned a cottage and rented it out. Business next door wanted it for a car park, so he sold it on the proviso that he demolish the house for the timber framing that he wanted for renovations elsewhere.
Pulled up the bathroom floor - 'X' amount of gold underneath.
A previous owner had worked in the Perth mint ......
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found a WW2 era brass military uniform button in the front garden once... I've always wondered who lost it all those years ago.
Old 29-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Only thing I ever find in my backyard is barker eggs.

In the first house we ever rented, we cleaned out the bbq and found burnt engagement cards and the engagement ring. Someone obviously didn't want to get married.
Old 29-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

clearing a site for a shed at my parents place (20 + yrs ago) found an old hand operated air raid siren. cleaned and greased it, and it still works today; although we dont seem to have the need!
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Not in his own backyard, but a mate was doing Demo work in St Kilda, and found an old floral tin under the floorboards, opened it up..........BINGO................................. ........enough money to buy a new HK Premier. All 10 and 20 Quid notes.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Not in his own backyard, but a mate was doing Demo work in St Kilda, and found an old floral tin under the floorboards, opened it up..........BINGO................................. ........enough money to buy a new HK Premier. All 10 and 20 Quid notes.
SCORE!!!

Old 30-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #14
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not in the back yard, but when my old Pop was crook I moved in to look after him. When I died I was cleaning out all his stuff and came across an MG34 german WW2 machine gun.
It was tucked away in the corner of his garage behind a whole stack of long handled shovels and rakes. No one knows how he got it into the country or how he came by it. He never fought the germans, he was a RAAF mechanic in PNG.
Handed it in to the war museum, wish I'd kept it now and had it rendered innocuous. Ah well.

Old 30-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #15
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't seem to be a luck i was removing paver's in the back yard the extend the lawn only to fine a massive slab of cement underneath it wasn't fun trying to remove it either.
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Up the back of the property we recently bought was a pair of gates and a large frame of some sort made from large box tubing.
Frame was cut up & pieces added to make gate posts & the gates were altered to suit.
Will be hanging the frames today.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Not in the back yard, but when my old Pop was crook I moved in to look after him. When I died I was cleaning out all his stuff and came across an MG34 german WW2 machine gun.
It was tucked away in the corner of his garage behind a whole stack of long handled shovels and rakes. No one knows how he got it into the country or how he came by it. He never fought the germans, he was a RAAF mechanic in PNG.
Handed it in to the war museum, wish I'd kept it now and had it rendered innocuous. Ah well.

A LOT of things made it back during the war... even Vietnam and yes even now!
(Just think back to MASH and see how Klinger sent a JEEP home bit by bit!)

Old 30-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #18
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
A LOT of things made it back during the war... even Vietnam and yes even now!
(Just think back to MASH and see how Klinger sent a JEEP home bit by bit!)
Someone who I won't name recently tried to send home a polaris motorcycle piece by piece. He got caught, but somehow gets away with it. Rank...
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #19
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl
Someone who I won't name recently tried to send home a polaris motorcycle piece by piece. He got caught, but somehow gets away with it. Rank...

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Yes, it is a bit rank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm
Old 30-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl
Ha dont worry, the lower ranks do get away with it.
I know for a fact one 4 wheeler made back here after the yanks were gonna blow it up for target practise because it wouldnt start.
Its filter was clogged with sand and none of them had a clue about engines etc.

Old 30-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #21
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

found two aboriginal axe heads in my backyard. ones still very sharp.
Old 30-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #22
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ha dont worry, the lower ranks do get away with it.
I know for a fact one 4 wheeler made back here after the yanks were gonna blow it up for target practise because it wouldnt start.
Its filter was clogged with sand and none of them had a clue about engines etc.

Had a high-school girlfriend whose dad was a major in RAEME (a bit terrifying - he knew what a young bloke's mind was on).
When the major was in Vietnam he visited a US base and was shocked to see the workshop manuals in cartoon form as the 'mechanics' couldn't read very well .......

I've been searching for a 2 or 3 gram gold nugget that I found at the tip, and a large gold ring I found in the guts of a washing machine, because I want to photograph and post them here, but I've hidden them somewhere ......
Maybe someone's going to find something nice in a backyard one day.
Old 30-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
Had a high-school girlfriend whose dad was a major in RAEME (a bit terrifying - he knew what a young bloke's mind was on).
When the major was in Vietnam he visited a US base and was shocked to see the workshop manuals in cartoon form as the 'mechanics' couldn't read very well .......

Not to mention the M16 cartoon chart on how to clean and pull it apart for those who were.. um... not good with words and stuff.

Old 30-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #24
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When buying my place I bought the property next door too sight unseen. I went for a walk after I moved in and found a little gully with a garden shed and some fruit trees. I've since been told an old italian guy lived in the shed for years before it was apparently abandoned, nobody around here remembers what happened to him. There's all kinds of junk over there. An old bed frame, drink bottles, cuttlery, etc. I plan to pull the shed down soon and use it as a pump shed for my dam.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #25
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
When buying my place I bought the property next door too sight unseen. I went for a walk after I moved in and found a little gully with a garden shed and some fruit trees. I've since been told an old italian guy lived in the shed for years before it was apparently abandoned, nobody around here remembers what happened to him. There's all kinds of junk over there. An old bed frame, drink bottles, cuttlery, etc. I plan to pull the shed down soon and use it as a pump shed for my dam.
Some of our Latin citizens have been known to store rolls of cash in paint tins, bury jars in concrete laundry tubs turned into planters, etc etc.

Once I found an abandoned house on a cane farm just off the Bruce Highway.
The family were religious nuts who went nuttier and were hauled off to the loonybin / treatment facility (pick one) one by one and never returned, so the house was slowly picked over as years went past.
Inside was every newspaper they'd ever bought.
Old 30-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #26
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
Some of our Latin citizens have been known to store rolls of cash in paint tins, bury jars in concrete laundry tubs turned into planters, etc etc.

Once I found an abandoned house on a cane farm just off the Bruce Highway.
The family were religious nuts who went nuttier and were hauled off to the loonybin / treatment facility (pick one) one by one and never returned, so the house was slowly picked over as years went past.
Inside was every newspaper they'd ever bought.
My pop used to do this, he never trusted banks and kept the majority of his money buried in jam jars in the back garden, hidden away in books, places like that.
Old 30-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #27
cool65
carefactor zero

Smile Re: Backyard finds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT
Ssssh!! Be very quiet or your backyard maybe claimed as ancient burial grounds
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #28
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool65
Ssssh!! Be very quiet or your backyard maybe claimed as ancient burial grounds
may be not may be they just droped them when AUIIPURSUIT scareded them off outta his backyard

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post