Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0

Quote:
Yes, here it is - the worst-kept secret of 2011: the new 493bhp Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0. But who cares about the leaky Porsche information machine when the company gives us what is effectively a GT3 RS with an RSR motor out back.

It will come as a disappointment to those hoping for a full-spec RSR for the road that this car was never meant to be anything more than an engine exercise. Yes, there are some notable tweaks in other areas, but the significant change is the motor.

This has been stroked to 80.4mm (from 76.4mm) because the bore is already at it limits. Inside, pretty much everything is different, with the crowning glory being the crankshaft from the £300,000 racing RSR. Power is 500PS (493bhp in old money) and torque is now 341lb ft. Increases over the 3.8 are 23lb ft and 49bhp. And this is finally an RS with something to look at in the engine bay, even if it is just a pair of reddish intake filters lurking in a carbon surround. The transmission is the same - yes, the rumours of PDK were nonsense - but the clutch has been strengthened.

The chassis has benefited from lessons learned in the GT2 RS project, and the RS 4.0 runs the same helper spring at the rear, uni-ball joints on the lower-rear arms (the tops remain rubber) and new spring and damper rates. The aim is an even more precise chassis than the 3.8’s.

The rest of the car is existing, extra-cost items from previous RSs. The expensive plastic front wings with integrated wheel-flares are standard, as is the GT2 RS’s carbon bonnet. The rear screen and rear side windows are plastic, leaving a weight of 1370kg – only 10kg less than the old RS, but combined with that extra slug of power it gives the RS 4.0 a power-to-weight ratio of 365bhp per ton versus 329 for the 3.8.

Standard colours are white or black, the wheels are painted white, and a new sticker-set leaves no-one unsure of the swept capacity of your new 911. Inside there are 4-litre logos everywhere, and a new steering wheel, which is the metal-covered PDK wheel from the Turbo, but minus the paddle-shifters.

Lastly, the aero package has been upgraded with a pair of front dive-planes that provide enough additional downforce at speed to warrant the rear wing being set with extra rake.

The UK list price is yet to be confirmed, but Porsche has advised that £128,000 is likely to be the figure. There are only 600 cars being built, and fewer than 50 will come to the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXHNJGf3A5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO3usApt-x4

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/26...and_video.html

Old 02-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0

Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thank god Porsche still persist with a proper gearbox.

Has to be the best performance brand around, although the amount of specials they produce is crazy, but every one of them are desirable.

Id prefer the "whale tail" for a spoiler, but Im sure that one is there for a good reason!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

sex on wheels
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Buntz
Straight Eight

Yeah.... cause Ford, Toyota and Porsche know.... that 4.0L's of six, is better than less.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My pants just got tighter.

Always had a soft spot for Porshces. They have always been the "practical supercar", with a useable back seat (for kids, but what a way to turn up for school) and without the "fragile" reputuation of makers like Ferrari, which means that you could, if you so wished (and a lot of people do) use it every day.
I would wager more Porsche 911's have been spotted by people on this forum in supermarket and shopping center car parks than have Ferraris and Lambo's.

In the words of one guy I was parked beside in Rockhampton who had a late model yellow 911 Carrera who was unloading a pram from the rear seat where his little girl was strapped in as his wife got a trolley, "We paid damn good money for this car and we're not going to polish it and look at it and only drive it once a month". They were from somewhere down near Brisbane and were on holiday. I later spotted them heading west along the Capricorn Highway through our little town.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Id prefer the "whale tail" for a spoiler, but Im sure that one is there for a good reason!
Remember the car is basically a race car for the road. That spoiler probably has a larger area then the 'whale tail', would weigh less and might even be adjustable?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
My pants just got tighter.

Always had a soft spot for Porshces. They have always been the "practical supercar", with a useable back seat (for kids, but what a way to turn up for school) and without the "fragile" reputuation of makers like Ferrari, which means that you could, if you so wished (and a lot of people do) use it every day.
I would wager more Porsche 911's have been spotted by people on this forum in supermarket and shopping center car parks than have Ferraris and Lambo's.

In the words of one guy I was parked beside in Rockhampton who had a late model yellow 911 Carrera who was unloading a pram from the rear seat where his little girl was strapped in as his wife got a trolley, "We paid damn good money for this car and we're not going to polish it and look at it and only drive it once a month". They were from somewhere down near Brisbane and were on holiday. I later spotted them heading west along the Capricorn Highway through our little town.
I use my Porsche everyday and they hold up well. 2km of dirt from my front door to the road and it still looks and goes like new. Fast, reliable, practical, and the handling is epic.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

What a car, I love seeing Porsche push the envelope with naturally aspirated 6's.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I'm surprised theyre still pushing for more displacement from the 6. All credit to them for still getting massive figures, but any other supercar maker would be using an 8 cylinder i'd imagine.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

An eight is not going to fit unless they want to go to Lemans, plus 500HP from a NA 6 is outstanding.

I love the fact that most of the supercars, proper track focused supercars, are still naturally aspirated.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I've always loved Porsches. This one is fantastic. Makes a mockery of the recent limited edition Speedster by Porsche.

This GT3 RS 4.0 is just unreal. N/A 500hp 4.0L 6. Sounds the business and just looks so purposeful.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I'm surprised theyre still pushing for more displacement from the 6. All credit to them for still getting massive figures, but any other supercar maker would be using an 8 cylinder i'd imagine.
The flat 6 keeps the centre of gravity really low. I'd imagine a V8 would ruin that and effect the handling.

Although RUF have been shoehorning Cayenne/Panamera V8's into 911's.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
kinksta
Luxojet

Is that the new beetle?
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
Is that the new beetle?
yeah that's Volkswagens performance devision.
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post