Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #31
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: When is long too long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Brought to you by the country with the collapsing dollar, economy in the crapper, people being chucked out of thier houses to the tune of thousands a week, and ever decreasing amounts of oil with fuel prices going through the roof...and they actually wonder why thier economy is sinking faster than the Titanic...well done.

These idiots truly don't live in the real world...
Their society values material possessions and status symbols more than we do, it's well known even within the USA itself, hence products like these (which have no real purpose) are on the market.

Although Australia isn't too far off, as I've said before we have a massive middle class where everyone is overweight, overmortgaged and worships the 3D plasma TV and the new Hyundai in the driveway.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #32
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I'm all for making fun of Americans, but these super-duty trucks are almost exclusively bought by people in the mid-west who want to tow 5th wheel horse floats. By the time you've got a 20 foot horse trailer and enough gear for four people and four horses for a weekend event they probably don't look or feel that big.

They're very rarely parked in multi-story carparks in the CBD.

Ps - CBD does not always equal "real world"

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #33
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
these super-duty trucks are almost exclusively bought by people in the mid-west who want to tow 5th wheel horse floats. "
Or by people who want to go drag racing

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funnily enough the majority of huge 5th wheel horse floats I see out here are being towed by Patrol and Landcruiser utes...you occasionally see the odd F-250 bumbling along slurping down fuel like there's a hole in the tank with bits of cheap interior trim dropping off, but mostly it's one of the previously mentioned makes towing them.

Drag racing? I believe if you look closely that guy on the right has an eight day clock behind him...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #35
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But most Americans want American trucks to tow their stuff.
Sure a Patrol or Cruiser would work, but that is not what they want.

Look up worlds fastest diesel pickup om youtube. They do drag race with these beasts, defiantly not what you would call slow.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #36
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Funnily enough the majority of huge 5th wheel horse floats I see out here are being towed by Patrol and Landcruiser utes...you occasionally see the odd F-250 bumbling along slurping down fuel like there's a hole in the tank with bits of cheap interior trim dropping off, but mostly it's one of the previously mentioned makes towing them.

Drag racing? I believe if you look closely that guy on the right has an eight day clock behind him...
The US don't get a Land Cruiser or Patrol ute, plus we all know how patriotic they can be when buying cars/trucks - American made and all. The biggest Jap ute they get is a Tundra or a Nissan Titan.

Plus, that Sierra above was definitely no slouch!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #37
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Search "Are you kidding me" in youtube. Has what looks like a Dodge Ram doing 9.81 @ 138mph.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #38
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Personally love the old F100s (so I am part redneck) but I wouldn't be caught dead in one of these monstrosities.
Give me a Landcruiser over that thing anyday.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #39
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
That Sierra would blow your doors off mate, in more ways than one!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If it got sideways going round a corner it would take out half a block of houses.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #41
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Americans are a LOT more patriotic, and most of these would be bought by farmers and the like to work/drive in the country. They would not be seen dead in a jap truck, that would be like kicking uncle sam in the balls.

And who cares if you don't like it, a lot of people do not like the V8's a lot of us drive, why do we need them, I have two, and often get asked why I need to drive a V8 Falcon when a smart car will get me there.

Let the yanks drive what they want, I am sure they can afford it or they would not buy it.

Or is it pen**s envy on our part, since we can not afford one or get one we better pretend we hate it with stupid comments about compensating for something. What are members here compensating for with their bling cars, 20" rims, loud exhausts, modded engines, etc etc
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #42
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I knew the "why do we need to buy a V8" compareson would eventuate....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

And yet last month 50% of all new F150 sales were V6s, the Ecoboost V6 being the lion's share of those...

When you look at F Truck sales just remember that F150 makes up around two thirds
of the total numbers and that Super Duty (F250 and above) make up the rest.

The Super Duty with 6.7 V8 diesel gives excellent highway fuel economy..

Americans can get a new entry level F150 for around $23,000, who wouldn't jump at that....

Last edited by jpd80; 05-05-2011 at 07:06 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #44
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
You mean Blandcruiser

I agree, LandCruiers and Patrols are right at the bottom of my list of offroad vehicles I want to own.
All the guys at work who have 4x4's pretty much all have landcruisers or patrols.

The amount of Gun Metal Grey GU Patrols in the work car park is depressing.
I don't want the same car as everyone else.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #45
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice car - I look forward to a youtube video of you parking it...

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #46
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is writing comments slandering Americans and their vehicles on forums like this supposed to be cool or something?

Do you even know the fuel economy of the F-Series trucks we had here from about 2001-2006, or what they're like to drive for that matter? You also go on about them being poorly built with parts falling off, but what are you basing your statement upon?

I've seen a lot of positive stories from owners who have them here and I have no idea of how you say "cheap interior trim dropping off". Another about them too is that their value had actually increased from new. In 2003, an F-250 XLT 4x4 was worth $73,000 and by 2006 had jumped to $79,000 and after they stopped selling here there were second-hand ones over selling for over $90,000. How many vehicles these days go up in value second hand?

As for their supposedly bad fuel economy, I've been in one (with the 7.3L Diesel) down from Brisbane to the NSW border and back again and was still 3/4 full. If that's what you call "with a hole in the tank", what doesn't have a hole in the tank?
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #47
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser '81
Is writing comments slandering Americans and their vehicles on forums like this supposed to be cool or something?

Do you even know the fuel economy of the F-Series trucks we had here from about 2001-2006, or what they're like to drive for that matter? You also go on about them being poorly built with parts falling off, but what are you basing your statement upon?

I've seen a lot of positive stories from owners who have them here and I have no idea of how you say "cheap interior trim dropping off". Another about them too is that their value had actually increased from new. In 2003, an F-250 XLT 4x4 was worth $73,000 and by 2006 had jumped to $79,000 and after they stopped selling here there were second-hand ones over selling for over $90,000. How many vehicles these days go up in value second hand?

As for their supposedly bad fuel economy, I've been in one (with the 7.3L Diesel) down from Brisbane to the NSW border and back again and was still 3/4 full. If that's what you call "with a hole in the tank", what doesn't have a hole in the tank?

Agree entirely.
Also, in the USA and especially the midwest they have snow for months each year, and a lowered car or even my G6E-T would be ruined in this kind of environment. Every day you'd have to dig it out, the big trucks just reverse over the snow.
The Americans do get the land cruiser, it just looks small in comparison and is not popular.
BTW, has anyone seen the fuel economy of the landcruiser? Not all that frugal. Check this out for how slow the F250 is down the quarter mile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btSOCd-mrMs

Quote: