Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Crazy CS
Starter Motor

Default Using E10 petrol in Focus

Hey guys,

As you noticed the petrol price has become rediculously expensive and it's getting a bit out of pocket.

I have a 2009 Ford Focus which i have been running on 95/98 since i got it in Jan 2010 and recently saw in the manual that the car can run ok on E10.

Anyone out there using E10? / Should i consider using E10?

Crazy CS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Using E10 petrol in Focus

You can use it. Ford okay it. The engine loses a touch of power and torque and your fuel economy reduces say 6.3 on 95 highway moves up to6.6ltrs/100kms on E10.Bear in mindm Caltex/Shell/Bp/711 E10 is 91 mixed with e10.
The price differential between e10 and 95 (at the independents)is only what 2 or 3 cents now -so all in all 95 is better. 91 Octane is as bad as E10, same result. When petrol was cheaper say $1.04 litre and E10 $1.00 a litre E10 stacked up but now 95 say $1.46 and E10 $1.43 its not worth it.
I buy 95 from the independents in Qld, Freedom/Matilda/United.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

like kevino said there is not mutch difference in the price of E10 & it will probably work out the same in the end with increased fuel consumption when using E10.

Just make sure you use 95ron fuel as this is what your car is tuned for & you will get the best economy.

As far as Ethanol mix fuels go there are many different opinions on if its good or bad, but alot of them seam to be bad.

From what ive read, the reason for this is that Ethanol is an Alcohol & can attract water from the humidity in the air & condensation.

This can effect the consistancy of quality (eg. if it can have decrease the octane if it attracts any water).
The moisture can also cause corrosion to some of the metal parts in the fuel system & motor.

One other thing about Ethanol is that it is a solvent & can cause damage to plastics & rubbers if they are not designed for it.

One thing that happened to a friend of mine had an older fiberglass speedboat that they used e10 in & some fuel spilt onto the fiberglass & it ate away the resin on the fibreglass. Apparently the newer boats now have an ethanol resistant resin to prevent this happening.

Last edited by Neale; 08-05-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

If you can afford 98 - do so.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The united stuff is better for the E10.

But with all fuel, compare it to what your using and see if there are real savings.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tried 10 bux E10 in wifes' LV XR5 drove 5 kms and went OH F%^K NO and topped off the tank with BP ultimate, let me put it this way if what the car was telling me was correct it was HALF as economical as my XR6 turbo... never ever will I do this again

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The united stuff is better for the E10.
The only E10 I'd use would be United. Standard 91 the car runs poorly but the United E10 seems to be good almost feels the same as 98, just used about .5L more per 100k.

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
03 GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
SpasticBus
Indifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
I tried 10 bux E10 in wifes' LV XR5 drove 5 kms and went OH F%^K NO and topped off the tank with BP ultimate, let me put it this way if what the car was telling me was correct it was HALF as economical as my XR6 turbo... never ever will I do this again
You based your conclusion on what your trip computer was telling you from a 5km journey? Does your xr5 have instant fuel consumption?

I'm not sure, because my LT TDCi only does average. If you aren't getting instant fuel consumption, then 5km isn't really going to tell you the full story from my experience. Out of 44L in my diesel, i usually get 800Km. That's about 5.5-5.6L/100Km. After about 3-400Km of driving, my trip computer will show about 5.7L/100Km, but before this point, it's higher. I just filled up the other day and have done 60Km and it is currently reading 6.2.

Oh and before someone says "your fuel consumption is going down because your car is lighter as you use fuel", i don't think 30Kg of fuel results in 10% more fuel consumption
SpasticBus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post