Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default What are the odds....????

Hot rod is hot item: Chevy Camaro stolen 36 years ago turns up 3,000 miles away on eBay
By Daily Mail Reporter
7:31 PM on 12th May

Quote:
When a car has been missing for 35 years, you would hardly expect it to turn up at all let alone 3,000 miles away on eBay.

But the New Jersey owner of a 1969 Chevy Camaro SS got the shock of her life when a police officer told her that the car she had stolen almost 36 years ago had been recovered in Santa Maria, California.

In February, Keith Williams bought the car on eBay for $28,000 from a private seller in Tennessee but said he noticed there was something not quite right about it and it had features that did not match the original.
When he contacted the police, he discovered it was stolen.
Speaking to KSBY 6 he said: 'I saw some video of it. It looked pretty good. It was quite eye catching. But you research a car long enough, you kind of know what to expect and there were things missing.'
He said that certain features seemed inconsistent with a 1969 Chevy Camaro SS. Closer inspection confirmed that the car had been completely restored and its body was a complete collage of parts, with the six cylinder engine replaced with a 427 V-8.
Officer Chuck Johnes with the California Highway Patrol said: 'There's identifying numbers on the car in several locations and through those numbers, we were able to rebuild the original VIN number.' When they ran a check they found the car had been stolen on July 8, 1975. When it was stolen it was yellow.
Officer Johnes said that when he contacted the owner Janice Maffucci in Jersey, she hung up several times thinking it was a crank call.
The car had been stolen from the post officer where her father worked 36 years ago.
She told KSBY 6: 'Being we're in New Jersey and this was recovered in California, I couldn't believe it, and I still can't believe it, but I think it's just great!
'I had given up hope and I never thought that this would ever happen.'
According to the police, Ms Maffucci was not going to bother arranging for the car to travel across the country thinking it was now 'just an old car'.
But when they explained to her that it was worth a substantial amount of money she changed her mind and now plans on selling it.
Mr Williams had fortunately insured his $28,000 eBay purchase and will get reimbursed for everything but the $875 transport fee.
But he told KSBY 6 that it was a 'modest price for a timeless tale'.
The CHP says this is one of the oldest vehicle's it's ever recovered and are investigating the car's registration history to find out who might have stolen it.

Recovered: Officer Frank Lewis, left, pictured with Officer Chuck Johnes with the 1969 Camaro Stolen 36 Years Ago from New Jersey

Fixed up: Closer inspection confirmed that the car had been completely restored and the six cylinder engine replaced with a 427 V-8

And better than original............

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Re: What are the odds....????

Wow! Miracles do happen?

Fantastic for the owner!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

quite a few cars could tell this tale....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol free upgrade. Awesome car
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

How nice, someone went to all that trouble to do a full resto and drop a big block Rat in there for her...ahhhhhhh.

Win win for her, not only does she get her car back but one that has had all the fruit done for her.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
The guy on the right, I reckon he's an enthusiast, just by the way he has his hand on the car, not leaning on the paint too much.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

That is awesome.
Old 14-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #8
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: What are the odds....????

Just one thing doesnt sound right
doesnt the Camaro SS have a V8 not a six?
I thought all SS models were V8s
could be wrong though
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I would sell it to the guy for $15000 ..fair price ?
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Wonder if the owner was paid out way back when it was stolen and if so what happens seeing as it's now returned?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Wonder if the owner was paid out way back when it was stolen and if so what happens seeing as it's now returned?
Yes, if it was insured it would belong to the insurance company if they are still in business and can quote the policy number it was paid out on.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
Just one thing doesnt sound right
doesnt the Camaro SS have a V8 not a six?
I thought all SS models were V8s
could be wrong though
John
Yes you are right....

I think the car was originally a Series 23 6cyl and it's just the way it's been reported in the storyline....
The way the word “restored” has been used confuses things, even though it's also incorrect it probably should read “restored into an SS clone”....
(Like the fully restored XY GTHO replicas that pop up now an again....)
Sounds like the guy who bought it of eBay thought he had the genuine article but twigged to the fact it wasn't a genuine SS and this is how the story came to light....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 15-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Lol free upgrade. Awesome car

There are plenty of panel shope around that will take this long to restore a car when you are paying them!

XB GT Restoration - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281881

LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
What are the odds....????
1 in 2 - Car gets found vs. Car doesn't get found....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

So he bought a stolen car on Ebay and insurance paid him out for it when the cops too the car:

"Mr Williams had fortunately insured his $28,000 eBay purchase and will get reimbursed for everything but the $875 transport fee."

I assume this was the Ebay / purchase protection insurance and not his car insurance .... good thing to have, pity its not offered more widely with car insurance, a lot of people get caught out with this.

XB GT Restoration - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281881

LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #16
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Spare a thought for the seller. He may have bought the car in good faith some years ago and spent a mozza on it not knowing it was stolen.

If the seller was the thief or had some other involvement then

My XA GT Sedan was stolen just on 25 years ago. It's possible it may be someones pride and joy sitting in their garage, having no clue of what occurred on 5th June 1986!! I'll let that sleeping dog lie......

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #17
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Question Re: What are the odds....????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Spare a thought for the seller. He may have bought the car in good faith some years ago and spent a mozza on it not knowing it was stolen.

If the seller was the thief or had some other involvement then

My XA GT Sedan was stolen just on 25 years ago. It's possible it may be someones pride and joy sitting in their garage, having no clue of what occurred on 5th June 1986!! I'll let that sleeping dog lie......
Likewise my 11sec XC i lost in 94' ,the only way of tracking the engine No or other details is by the rego number on file... 304 AHT.. all paper work was in the glovebox, police were not very helpful back then because it wasn't currently registered and i have always wondered if my engine may have ended up in an Elite class street machine where No's don't matter much?
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #18
THE CADBURY KID

Can someone arrange to steal my eb and put a blown coyoye engine in it,trans to match.Cheers
THE CADBURY KID is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Fixed up: Closer inspection confirmed that the car had been completely restored and the six cylinder engine replaced with a 427 V-8
Not sure that a close inspection was required to confirm this
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #20
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another article.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/13052011/36...6-years-0.html
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #21
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

So who now has actual right to the car?? the original or the poor bugger coned into buying a stolen vehicle??
Old 16-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #22
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the original owner.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #23
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Considering she's only going to sell it, she should come to some agreement with the bloke that bought it off ebay - if he still wants it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
If you buy a stolen car, and spend tens of thousands doing it up, and it's then found by the authorities...tough luck, you've done your dough. And you'll be facing a few pointed questions about whether you knew the car was stolen in the first place or not...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Considering she's only going to sell it, she should come to some agreement with the bloke that bought it off ebay - if he still wants it.
The guy of eBay is chasing a "Genuine" one....