Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Advice on buying a repaired write-off NSW

G'day all,

I am looking for a bit of advice on buying a repaired write-off in NSW. I have done a Vehicle History Check on the RTA website and verified that the car has been a 'write-off' previously

The car I am looking at is a 2004 VZ Calais V8, with less than 30,000km and in 2006 it was written off because of a rear end impact. The car has been continually registered, and issued with a clearance certificate to clear the 'write-off' status.

I have had the car inspected and the repair was reported as imperceptible, with no obvious shut line issues, wrinkling of the underlying sheetmetal (rear bumper was removed for inspection) or areas of concern. The odometer reading that I was wary of has been verified by the original owners, the logbook and the servicing dealer.

Because of how the new FBT laws will affect Novated Leasing, I can't viably afford a new car anymore along with a mortgage and investments. I have budgeted 15k for a replacement for my current leased car.

It is my understanding that prior to the new NSW laws regarding repairable write-offs, that there were an unbelievably high number of vehicles being "written-off" as repairable to claim high salvage values. Some vehicle were being written off for simple things like stolen wheels or key scratches. Some even at the request of the owners! (im some cases fair enough).

I am looking forward to obtaining some guidance on whether or not buying this Calais could turn out to be more trouble than I really need to obtain a good car at an affordable price.

Cheers.

calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Advice on buying a repaired write-off NSW

Insurance company would rather repair a car than write it off, it is more cost effective to repair the car. So car's being written off for scratches and wheels is untrue unless the car was older and the cost to replace the wheels, repair the scratches was higher than what the car was worth.

The reason why insurance company's will try and write a car off as a economical write off rather than a statutory write off is because they do get a higher salvage value when the car is a economic write off.

The reason why they changed the law in NSW for write off's was to stop re-birthing and people putting unsafe cars back on the road.

IMO I would never buy a written off car, who knows what problem's can happen down the track, plus it will be in the back of your head that it was a write off.

There are a few VZ Calais in your price range around, here is one.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=10584441&keywords=vz%20v8&tsrc=allc arhome&__Ntk=CarAll&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode%20matchany& __D=vz%20v8&silo=1011&seot=1&__sid=12CBDBE0B0D4&__ N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965857%20 4294965739&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceS ort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_Stri ng|0&__Qpb=1&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Cr=11&__ Ntt=vz%20v8&trecs=13
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
MattSAU2XR8

If it was only hit in the rear and there was non damage to the C pillars I reckon you might be alright - much better than if the car had a frontal impact or got T-boned. And to be realistic it doesn't really matter if the boot is slightly out of whack if the rear axle and everything forward of this is perfect. Certainly if its cheap enough I'd look at it given it has such a low mileage. Did you get a panel shop to look at it, or a mechanic? Perhaps if both said it was OK then buy it?
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
snowcone

I bought a 2005 Honda Accord Euro Lux Pack for 10k under market value that had been hit up the clacker and was a repairable write -off. This was nearly 2 years ago when rego wasn't an issue. The car is brilliant and it is nearly impossible to see where the back end was cut out and replaced.
If anything, it is stronger now than when it was built as there are a lot more welds.
Drives like new. just have to have a good look at it before you buy, but one with a rear ender is the best one to find, especially with a FWD car.
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post