Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-06-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Stereo in 2003 Focus

Hi guys, I put a post in the audio section but havent got any replies so I will try here. I would like to install a sub and maybe upgrade the speakers in the LX Focus. Did the higher models have a sub?? Was it installed in the parcel shelf like the falcons??

Have many people upgraded the stereo to one that still uses the steering column controls - maybe thats a better option??

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Stereo in 2003 Focus

Yes to both questions - the sub was mounted in the centre of the parcel shelf with the amp directly underneath and attached to it.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Rich, I've upgraded from the Factory Single Disc Unit to the one that was in the ST170/Ghia and I haven't looked back. It's a quality unit i.m.o. and I don't feel as though it needs a sub to improve it.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Yes to both questions - the sub was mounted in the centre of the parcel shelf with the amp directly underneath and attached to it.

Cheers
Russ
Not sure which Focus this would have been Russ. Certainly not in models CL, LX or Zetec . The ST170 had a sub woofer in the UK but not in Australia. It was a separate box fitted to the left hand side in the hatch, with a separate amp mounted on the sub woofer box. Wasn't in the parcel shelf. It also used a different head unit, as Eddie has pointed out. So unless the Ghia had one in the parcel shelf, I can't see that any 2003 Focus had a separate sub.

I have installed a 4 channel amp under the front passenger seat, and replaced all the speakers with Boston Acoustics speakers. I have retained the head unit and steering wheel controls. You could install a 5 channel amp to install a sub. There are some from the states that are made for Focus, but not cheap.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ck-Loaded.html
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Not sure which Focus this would have been Russ. Certainly not in models CL, LX or Zetec .
As a non Focus expert I'm simply relaying the information form the WSM which details one. If we were too lazy to amend it for Australia then I'll defer to our knowledge.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The SONY head units can run a sub directly too. The pins are there on the connector. There is a wiring diagram somewhere on here. I think I posted it in fact? Maybe I can find it for you.

Maybe have a look at some of the Mazda oem subs from the 3's and 6's. Their stuff is very nice, and usually quite compact. ForMaz here in Sydney usually have some from wrecked vehicles. Mostly BOSE equipment too.
Old 26-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Starting to think I would just be better off biting the bullet and getting an aftermarket unit that is compatible with the steering control. Had a look at Alpine (Im a pioneer person) and they have units that are compatible. had a look at this one

http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=202

Has all the functions I could ask for and $399 is not a bad price considering the quality of Alpine units. Thinking of replacing the factory front and rears and running the replacements direct from the deck and running a single sub and mono amp in the boot.

Open to thoughts.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post