Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

Default Young Driver Safety discussion paper...

Hi All! The Bracks Government has just released its Young Driver Safety
and Graduated Licensing Discussion Paper which outlines the issues facing
young drivers and proposes a range of initiatives to reduce fatalities
and injuries among young road users.

Just wondering what evreyones thoughts are on the proposed licencing system down the bottom of the paper... lets just say im glad ive already got my P's thats for sure! :

Heres the link...
http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/fo...ety_1_form.php

Cheers Shan.

5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Doesn't go far enough if you ask me. I reckon you could fit in a rule whereby a P plate driver must have a wierd old unattractive person who would attempt to fondle you if you break the speed limit or have a drink before driving. You could probably even fit a clause in there to have them dress in a clown suit too!
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 07:52 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

120 hours-OK
restrict passengers-no
Alkahol BAC.05- no way, it should be ZERO like NSW for all P platers.
restrict after hours-no
12 months learners-OK,need that long for 120 hours.
3 year P2-no,2 is enough like NSW.
Ban mobile phone use? WHY THE F**K IS IT LEGAL NOW?
Ignition interlocks _too hard,expensive,easy to get around,inconvenient for others.
And last but not least WHERE THE HELL IS THE DRIVER EDUCATION.
Old 31-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

BAC of 0.05?
When i got my P's, which im still on, i had/have to maintain a 0.00 reading, since when is that going to help prevent deaths?

As for passenger restrictions, i can see what they are trying to do, but you have to remember that not all the passengers they are going to carry are young hot blooded friends who want to drag anything with 4 wheels and a lion/Ford badge.

Sam again for after hours restriction. Its my god given right to be out on the street at anytime, im over 18. Just because im out in a car after 10pm doesnt mean im a hoon or potentially a hoon.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #5
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Ban mobile phone use? WHY THE F**K IS IT LEGAL NOW?
They mean the banning of anykind of hands free kit.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have to agree with Deesun... its all well and good changing things to maybe, just maybe make safer drivers of the young... but for goodness sake, shouldnt it be compulsory to educate them on how to drive...
Mind you, there are quite a few full licensed drivers that seriously could do with some driver education too :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #7
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is all a huge waste of time in my eyes. Before people go off ranting and raving, something more needs to be done. I have recently been involved in a car accident which was quite clearly not my fault. The old hag drove into the left hand side of my car. Now the insurance company is trying to pin the blame on even though we were travelling side by side on an unmarked road. Before crappy rules like this are implemented, something needs to be done with insurance companies and following the correct road rules also. Why should they be able to make up the law. Whats the point of implementing rules to stop young drivers from doing things, when insurance companies arn't following them either?
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Eh, got that rubbish in the mail and threw it out. What a waste of money printing the crap.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

i would prefer to be driving around p platers than old people

XLS Falcon Ute
Full Sick 2.5 Inch -> To Double 3 Inch Tips Exhaust Sports System
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims
Altezza Tail Bling Bling Lights
Kenwood Head Deck + Amps + Bling Bling Sub
Bright Orange BLING BLING Fordforums.com Sticker

OOoooohh Yeah! Bling Bling
XLS99 Ute man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #10
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS99 Ute man
i would prefer to be driving around p platers than old people
agreed!!!!
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
They mean the banning of anykind of hands free kit.
Good,but they should say that.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #12
EL_futuraistic

I would definately prefer driving around young P platers than Old Farts. I am 23, however most P platers I have seen (excluding P platers driving WRX or Hi-Po imports) are better drivers than some old people.

1.) Insurance companies rub their hands when anyone under 25 rings them.... its clean-up on the $$$ time
2.) giving P plates a 0.05 rating...... BAD NEWS
3.)Mobile Phone Use........ WTF should be Illegal for Everyone (except hands free "bluetooth" incar kits)
4.)Those interlocks for drink drives are a good idea... cost $$$ but hopefully ppl will learn lessons (though experience tells us they wont)

I honestly think the goernment has no-idea when it comes to road safety and driver education. ESPECIALLY in Victoria.... for Mr Bracks its all about revenue, yet his campaigne "is 46 too many" is doing nothing as our road toll is still rising.

Before it can fall, our driver education and attitude need to change..... And b4 it sparks much critisism i am the 1st to admit my driver attitude needs to change. Whilst wiping off 5 mightn't save a life... not cutting infront of a 22wheeled Semi might.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #13
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Alkahol BAC.05- no way, it should be ZERO like NSW for all P platers.
The 0.00 BAC limit is stupid. 0.02 was fine, as having a light beer even would put you over. 0.00 means you can get booked for using mouthwash like listerene.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 01:02 AM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Fairmont
This is all a huge waste of time in my eyes. Before people go off ranting and raving, something more needs to be done. I have recently been involved in a car accident which was quite clearly not my fault. The old hag drove into the left hand side of my car. Now the insurance company is trying to pin the blame on even though we were travelling side by side on an unmarked road. Before crappy rules like this are implemented, something needs to be done with insurance companies and following the correct road rules also. Why should they be able to make up the law. Whats the point of implementing rules to stop young drivers from doing things, when insurance companies arn't following them either?
Huh?? Insurance companies do. Well more so than the police! Which I'm concerned about..

Also I agree 100% with P platers being banned from any mobile phone use.

Most importantly, as deesun said "WHERE THE HELL IS THE DRIVER EDUCATION"
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #15
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The 0.00 BAC limit is stupid. 0.02 was fine, as having a light beer even would put you over. 0.00 means you can get booked for using mouthwash like listerene.
As stupid as we like to call Mr Plod when he books us I'd like to think he knows the difference between the smell of alchohol and mouthwash. Don't remember seeing a front page story here in NSW about the P plater booked for swigging mouthwash. A secondary test at the station would surely show a negative by the time you got there if it was mouthwash.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:28 AM   #16
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

This Victorian paper merely adopts by in large the NSW graduated system, L's RED P1, GREEN P2 over the same timescale.

South Australia also uses the NSW (national) system, this is now underway in that State.

One program variable given, relates to log book hours. No real probelm with the system providing costs are minimised and affordable for candidates.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #17
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wondered when you were going to come in on this Keepleft.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #18
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
One program variable given, relates to log book hours. No real probelm with the system providing costs are minimised and affordable for candidates.
*BZZZ* WRONG ANSWER. If you cannot afford to run a log book, you cannot afford to run a roadworthy and SAFE vehicle when you get your licence. That simple. No questions to be entered into. Story over.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #19
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
You will never get booked for using mouthwash. NEVER EVER. You *MIGHT* get asked for a secondary test which should clearly show that you your BAC is 0.00 assuming you have not been drinking.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #20
gozza

i agree with alot of points
phones.....maybe passenger restriction could be good in the sense that alot of hooning happens when dudes wanna show off there ebats to there mates....but that condemns the sensible people.....i can see how a time restriction would work as theres less cars on the road at late times thus leading to the open road speeding syndrome

but in reailty theres just as many bad open licensed drivers on the road as "hoons" that are good drivers...just using there skills in the wrong place...the amount of times i see middle to older aged men and women driving like they own the road is rediculous...especially when they see you in a slammed car notorious for hoons...i think they try to **** you off
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #21
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

As in america they start driver education in school, giving some lead up training before getting close to a licence. captive audience considering everybody attends school. Implementing it might take some thought, but an add on tv costs (30sec) from 300 thousand so money well spent i would say.
After all you dont get on a forklift, crane, etc without solid training.

As original from showroom floor with all options
Additions - Pacemakers turbo400 3" exhaust
Custom cai prototype No 4
Stage 1 shift kit with neck brace
Still to come DIVORCE
KEV EB XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

WOW!! These laws are going to reduce so many deaths!! NOT.

How bout making the driving test much harder to pass. Not putting so much emphasis on the stupid simulation testing. Make the road rule testing more comprehensive. Also every L plater much attened a defensive driver course (the cost would be subsidised by the government) before they go for their P's.

I know it wasn't in the report but I like the Hoon laws in NSW. You want to drag? Go to calder (or whatever track is in your state).
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #23
gozza

i wish i had defensive driving subsidised for me
something i really wanna do anyway
this should be a must
Old 01-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #24
buickman
buickman

A ******** will always be a ******** young or older & no amount of rules & regulations will help that type of person from being foolish.But most young drivers learn from their 1st hopefully minor accident.
If you keep having accidents you have to look at your mental ability to judge & drive a vechicle either car, truck,forklift or any other machinary.

A young driver will alway's critise an older one & vice versa. Only differance is that there is more younger drivers on the road driving faster & taking a few more risks but their relexes are sharper than an elderly person. I would'nt imagine anyone over 65yo driving fast & doing burnouts with a bunch of mates would happen to often.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #25
XR6turbo
Great EF XR8

i think its all sh*t . Talking on a hands free kit is fine, holding a mobile to the ear while driving is not. They talk about the fact that most accidents happen within the first 6 months of drivers recieving there P-plates, this is because they don't have any experience. I don't care who you are, but driving around on your learners for 100hrs, to a 1000 hours is going to make didly squat of difference, because just driving a car isn't going to teach you how to control it. There are many older people out there that i believe wouldn't know what to do if there car got away from them, as there is younger people as well. I believe that driver education is the main issue here, learners need to be taught how to control a car once they have had some hours driving, in a safe course that would have to be set up. I also believe that if we made it mandatory for all drivers to require a manual licence instead of taking the easy way out and getting an automatic license, this would help bring more control to the people.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #26
gozza

its been proven that hands free kits don't do jack.....its cos the peeps are concentrating on the convo...not concentratin on holding a phone...hell i drive around with a smoke drink and fries but can still manage to watch the road and drive safely.....im sure i could hold a little phone to the side of my head...if i was talking to the smoke drink and fries than maybe i would be dangerous...but then again food can't talk to id have nothin to think about
Old 01-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #27
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesn't matter the age, do you realise just how many people (all ages) that simply can not tackle a roundabout without causing havoc???

:Reverend:
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post