Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Don't Be A Jackass With Jacks

http://www.productsafety.gov.au/cont...dontbeajackass

Under your car - DIY vehicle maintenance

DON'T BE A JACKASS WITH JACKS. People have been crushed or severely injured when they have not used jacks, support stands or ramps properly. The ACCC is leading a joint campaign with state and territory fair trading agencies to raise awareness about your safety when doing DIY mechanic work. Follow the safety tips and read the information to stay safe when working under your car.

Don't be a jackass with jacks

Over the past decade, at least 46 Australians have been crushed and killed when working under a vehicle.
In addition, an average of 160 injuries are associated with jacks each year. Injuries have ranged from amputation to fractures and crush injuries.
Most of the deaths were men and involved the vehicle being lifted or supported in the wrong way. Home mechanics are most at risk of this type of death or injury.
The correct use of jacks can prevent death or injury.
Never
  • get under a car that is being supported by a jack
  • place any part of your body under a vehicle unless it is sitting securely on support stands or ramps
  • allow a person or pet to remain in the vehicle whilst it is being jacked
  • exceed the weight capacity of the jack.
Working under your car - safety tips

Follow these tips and stay safe when working on your vehicle.
  • Park the vehicle on a hard level surface such as a concrete driveway.
  • Before you raise the vehicle, chock the unlifted wheels and engage the park brake.
  • Refer to the workshop manual for your car to locate the lifting point to position the jack under your vehicle. If the incorrect lifting point is used, the jack could slip or tip.
  • Watch carefully whilst raising your vehicle. Check that the head plate of the trolley jack is sitting squarely on the point you are lifting, and make sure the jack is able to roll slightly to allow for the change of angle as the vehicle is raised.
  • If you are planning on working under your vehicle, always use support stands or ramps. When using support stands, ensure you locate the correct position for them before slowly lowering the jack so the vehicle is resting on the stands. Ensure that your vehicle is secure on the stands before getting under it.
Do you sell jacks, ramps or stands?

Suppliers including retailers are also reminded that there are mandatory standards for vehicle jacks, trolley jacks, support stands and portable ramps. You must comply with the mandatory standards if you are selling these products within Australia, at any part of the supply chain.
Get more facts and tips

There are many ways you can learn more and stay informed about DIY vehicle maintenance safety. For general DIY safety information you can read the page DIY—home handyperson.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
ray38l

Default Re: Don't Be A Jackass With Jacks

So i wonder if me working under a car supported by a jack and two old rims is safe? I don't trust most stands. I have seen cars fall off stands before
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

I generally always have the car on ramps, and stands under the chassis rails incase the ramps fail....
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seen a dude at the ford forum drags with the front on a car trailer and him under it spannerin something. Ya do what ya gotta do. I would have done the same. there was a bloke in the raaf when i was in that got crushed n killed by collapsing stands. just cant remember what base it was at.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
So i wonder if me working under a car supported by a jack and two old rims is safe? I don't trust most stands. I have seen cars fall off stands before
Im not a fan of stands, and usually (if no wheel needs to be removed ie: doing a clutch) place a steel wheel (no tyre) under each wheel (laying flat obviously) and lower it on them. I only use wheels off older large cars, not jap light cars etc. They are made to handle all that weight at speed going round a corner (so the load is lateral not just upright), I cant see how the weight of the front or rear of a car will make them fail.

I also recall years ago people made stands from rims anyway. If youre worried, you could always get a pipe welded from the centre of the rim down to a flat bar at the bottom to support it.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Zero_PSI
Banned

I hate being under cars. But I always use stands and leave the jack under with the pressure off but still jacked up so it's touching the jack point., so if the stands fail the jack is there to catch it (I hope).
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

I really did prefer the other one, something along the lines of "Take a stand when using Jacks". This one sounds a little offensive I think?

But other than that, I always place two steel rims underneath the car when ever I'm under it, there is just no way my muscular arms could lift almost 2 tonns!
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that`s a pretty good page, it covers most of it , i`ve used stands for most of my work(34 years) and not had a problem except for using the odd hand me down cheap old bit of junk stands, it`s good to have bigger rated stuff if you can afford it, i might add once i think the car is secure i stand at arms length and give it a shove, better for it to fall if it`s going too while i`m not under it than the other way.
i have 3 ton stands....no problems at all strength wise..... nice wide base on them , and it`s good to have a redundancy in case the worst happens, a tyre or 2 and or a block of wood on top if your not confident, (even if you are), anything to stop you getting crushed is good thing, if in doubt don`t get under............. re position the stands and try again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner
I really did prefer the other one, something along the lines of "Take a stand when using Jacks". This one sounds a little offensive I think?
!
I agree - it gives me the irrits when someone thinks it's a good idea to insult me to change my behaviour.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

I follow mik's procedure also.

Get the stands set, and then give it a heavy push from every angle..
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Don't Be A Jackass With Jacks

If anyone is taking offence to the campaign then you are exactly the target audience.

It's not that hard really.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I use to work with the stands and jack as support... Now with access to a hoist I refuse to use the stand and jack!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
DRM ON
~trim taut terrific~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
I use to work with the stands and jack as support... Now with access to a hoist I refuse to use the stand and jack!!!
Show off haha

I use stands and the jack as backup too.

I have had a jack let go as I was putting stands under the car. Car dropped in an instant and the rear 1/4 actually landed on the car stand and punctured a hole straight through it. I was furious to start with but then was just glad I was alive.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
THE CADBURY KID

Always use axle stands and when they are where you want them lower the jack slightly to take the weight and shake the hell out of the car to make sure its safe and then leave the jack there anyhow for insurance.
No stands ever broke that were being used properly,and they dont fall off either if they are positioned correctly.
i knew a guy who got killed when he was underneath a forklift on blocks of wood and it fell on him.
i also know a car mechanic who will freely go under without stands and thinks it will never happen to him
THE CADBURY KID is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
If anyone is taking offence to the campaign then you are exactly the target audience.

It's not that hard really.
ummmm nope. Human psychology would indicate that those you offend are more likely to ignore your advice, whilst also undermining your credibility with the target population.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 07-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
PHANTMXR6

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 

Why you think it is offensive or insulting is something I can't understand.

The terminology is in jest, but the meaning behind it is still the same.

If you think it is quite safe to work under an unsupported load then go right ahead. You may end up another one of their statistics.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner

But other than that, I always place two steel rims underneath the car when ever I'm under it, there is just no way my muscular arms could lift almost 2 tonns!
Yeah I liked that one as well, 'jackass' is an American word/term, it annoys me how people try do dilute our 'English' English with yank terms and phrases

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Where do the stands go under the car? Looking in the car manual it reckons where the crappy spare wheel Jacking point that came with the car, but last time I did that the weight of the car damaged it
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chassis rails
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
Why you think it is offensive or insulting is something I can't understand.

The terminology is in jest, but the meaning behind it is still the same.

If you think it is quite safe to work under an unsupported load then go right ahead. You may end up another one of their statistics.
Definition:• JACKASS (noun)
The noun JACKASS has 2 senses:

1. a man who is a stupid incompetent fool
2. male donkey

I would call either definition an insult.
I do not think it is safe to work under an unsupported vehicle, and i have had a car fall off stands while i was 1/2 way under it. Luckily it fell away from me as i was trying to jack it back up to get it squarely on the stands. I also treat people who have been lucky enough to survive - - so i think i am qualified to comment.
The issue is whether insulting someone will change their behaviour. I argue that it will not. If anything, the target audience will be turned off. Preaching to the converted (as you will deem yourself to be) is useless and achieves nothing apart from allowing you to attain an air of superiority, resulting in you thinking it is alright to insult those who are not quite so enlightened.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 07-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #21
PHANTMXR6

Fair enough. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #22
Aussie.Battler
Starter Motor

Here is an expensive mistake

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvNKBe6DZhk&feature=related
Aussie.Battler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #23
LTDHO
The one and only

I have never had or seen stands give way. Everyone has heard of someone who know some that heard something.
I have however seen both Hydralic and scissor jacks give way.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #24
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I hate getting under cars…

I’ll have ramps, stands and some wheels under it as well haha. Better safe than sorry! Only because once I jacked a car up, walked off to get a drink before getting under it, heard a loud bang and the car dropped off the jack.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #25
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I have never had or seen stands give way. Everyone has heard of someone who know some that heard something.
I have however seen both Hydralic and scissor jacks give way.
I was working on a VH commodore on 4 stands (small type). I was trying to get the door back on and wriggle that stupid pin back in place by myself. Levered door and myself against the car and the whole lot shifted so they jacks were crooked and up on two legs at the back of the car. Got the jack under the diff to lift it to put the stands back square. I was half under the back using the jack when the whole lot twisted off the stands away from me and crashed to the floor. Scared the life out of me, so i shut the shed door and went somewhere else for a while.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #26
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i borrowed some ramps, only to find the xr8 is too low at the front to use them. damn. get the garage to do it.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #27
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be very careful if using old x series jacks. My 1974 Xb jack snapped in half while I was jacking my coupe up to changing a flat. Luckily no damage done. I now use my BF jack on my xb
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post