Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU3 coolant: use motorcraft branded product ONLY, or a better aftermarket prod?

I'm replacing welch plugs this weekend which means I'll be flushing my cooling system. Should I refill with the motorcraft premixed coolant from ford, and only that, or is there something else that works the same/better?

Thanks.

rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: AU3 coolant: use motorcraft branded product ONLY, or a better aftermarket prod?

You can use any of the green ones to the coolant manufacturers specs - some are pre-mixed & some are concentrated
Just remember to change every few yrs
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU3 coolant: use motorcraft branded product ONLY, or a better aftermarket prod?

yep as FTe342 said , I personally use NULON coolant/oils there top shelf without the price tag

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhell74
yep as FTe342 said , I personally use NULON coolant/oils there top shelf without the price tag
I buy Nulon oils, haven't looked at their coolants yet though.

http://www.nulon.com.au/product_group/Cooling_Systems/

Which one do you use?
Old 13-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

is it green? use it then.
a decade old car don't care what brand coolant you use.
Old 13-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

slightly off topic, but what is the difference between the green ones and other colours?
Old 13-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
is it green? use it then.
a decade old car don't care what brand coolant you use.
It's been running on demineralised water for at least a couple of years due to a slow leak, one of the welch plugs has corroded through and there's probably others that are close to that too, so even though it's a 9 year old car I'd rather do it right. I'm planning to keep this car for at least a couple more years so spending an extra $20 for the right stuff won't hurt.
Old 13-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know about other pre mixes but I know motorcraft coolant is pre mixed with demineralised water
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194
I'm replacing welch plugs this weekend which means I'll be flushing my cooling system. Should I refill with the motorcraft premixed coolant from ford, and only that, or is there something else that works the same/better?

Thanks.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
slightly off topic, but what is the difference between the green ones and other colours?
typicly the green is for iron block's, the red is for alloy block's.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it has green in it before put green back in it, as long as it has corrosion inhibitors it should be ok, i read an article on cooling systems and they went into great detail that you should`nt put green in after red unless it has a very very very thorough flush and flush and a chemical clean, from what i can remember, the red stuff leaves some residue that reduces the performance of the green stuff.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
speedzter

And never use tap water !
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
spending an extra $20 for the right stuff won't hurt make a difference
fixed for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzter
And never use tap water !
I've seen cabs run for 800,000klms with nothing but quarter strength Prolube coolant and tap water.
Old 15-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
WannabeXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
typicly the green is for iron block's, the red is for alloy block's.
We had a tectaloy rep in at work(SCA) and in there range it is just a colour, so kids are less likely to drink it.
And the effects of using tap water is that the coolant is fighting the impurities in the water rather then corrosion in your cooling system. so basically reducing the effective life of the coolant.
Hope this helps
Cheers Jason
05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion
WannabeXP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Tectaloy gold in my xr8 and very happy with it.
Old 17-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #15
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if it has green in it before put green back in it, as long as it has corrosion inhibitors it should be ok, i read an article on cooling systems and they went into great detail that you should`nt put green in after red unless it has a very very very thorough flush and flush and a chemical clean, from what i can remember, the red stuff leaves some residue that reduces the performance of the green stuff.
To be honest I don't recall what was in there when I bought it, I have seen it but with my memory I'd probably be getting confused between this car and my last one.

The stuff that leaked onto my driveway was reddish-brownish but that may just be rust... there's a fair bit of "mud" that came out when I flushed it.

Nulon's web page recommends to use a radiator flush to help remove all traces of the old coolant, but I'm concerned that the flush may work too well, and dislodge a spec of rust here, a bit of gunk there, and start leaking... I can replace the radiator if need be, but given I've spent about $1400 in maint & repairs on this car recently I'd rather not!
Old 17-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

get a bottle of the GREEN NULON concentrated stuff 5L one poor 1/4 of the bottle in and top up with water (i juse tap water) always worked for me and never had a issue Fingers crossed
Old 18-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by POELWYK
get a bottle of the GREEN NULON concentrated stuff 5L one poor 1/4 of the bottle in and top up with water (i juse tap water) always worked for me and never had a issue Fingers crossed
Yeah that's what I ended up getting, except you'd need more than a quarter of a 5L bottle? 16L capacity x 33% = 5.28L of concentrate (I'm just going with a single 5L bottle). A quarter bottle would only be 7.8% concentration which sounds too low?

There's plain tap water in there momentarily but I'll be flushing the system today (twice) then using the nulon concentrate mixed with demineralised water.
Old 18-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I replaced the thermostat and gasket too, I've noticed the engine gets to operating temp more quickly... eg when I used to drive from home (cold) to my daughter's school, the needle had barely moved into range by the time I arrived... now it's sitting at "O" in NORMAL halfway into the trip. That's got to be better for the engine since most of my trips are short.

The old thermostat had flaky black stuff on it, I'm not sure if that's hardened coolant gunk or failing paint? The new one was bare metal.
Old 18-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

Quote:
Yeah that's what I ended up getting, except you'd need more than a quarter of a 5L bottle? 16L capacity x 33% = 5.28L of concentrate (I'm just going with a single 5L bottle). A quarter bottle would only be 7.8% concentration which sounds too low?

There's plain tap water in there momentarily but I'll be flushing the system today (twice) then using the nulon concentrate mixed with demineralised water.

sorry spelling error 3/4 well jsut a tad over
Old 18-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3/4 still sounds too low if you want the recommended 33% concentration... in a 16L capacity system that's only 23%. Even the entire 5L container is a touch below the recommended level (31.2%)

Flushing doesn't completely empty the system so maybe you're thinking the capacity is less?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #21
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read yesterday that EA-EF use the red coolant, while the AU uses green. Judging by a couple of stains that remain from long term minor leaks I'm starting to think that my AU may have had the red stuff in it, which isn't the correct type...

Unless the Motorcraft stuff is red?
Old 07-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I'm using the Nulon Red, from what I've read the Nulon Red is specifically for cars with an Aluminium radiator which my AU1 has.

/shrug had no issues so far with it,but eh it's Nulon of course it's gonna do the job well.

Chris
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #23
Mr Hardware

i've never seen a falcon with red coolant, e-series/au or otherwise

this is the question i ask myself when i think about coolant.
is there rust in it? no.
does it say on the O for NORMAL all day long? yes.

therefore? DO NOTHING.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #24
BHDOGS
Banned

when i checked the coolant chart at motor mate recently it said to use the red coolant for an au series 2 fairmont v8
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #25
LukeyST
ST fan

Whilst we are talking about coolant, how are you supposed to dispose of the old stuff?

After changing the coolant in my bike a few weeks ago i realised i didn't know what to do with the old stuff, which is now sitting in a bottle in the shed. Oil has never been an issue as we have an old 44gal drum at home to collect it.

I plan to drop the coolant out of the AU soon but obviously it holds quite a bit more than the bike does and i'll need to dispose of it.

Cheers.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #26
TheSly1

never leave coolant out where your pets can get to it, im not sure about cats but its deadly to dogs very bad stuff.. i know its common sense but never can be to careful
TheSly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #27
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyST
Whilst we are talking about coolant, how are you supposed to dispose of the old stuff?

After changing the coolant in my bike a few weeks ago i realised i didn't know what to do with the old stuff, which is now sitting in a bottle in the shed. Oil has never been an issue as we have an old 44gal drum at home to collect it.

I plan to drop the coolant out of the AU soon but obviously it holds quite a bit more than the bike does and i'll need to dispose of it.

Cheers.
Just tip it on a part of your garden you don't care about
i don't think it'll kill anything
especially not if you dilute it by hosing it afterwards
Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #28
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Just tip it on a part of your garden you don't care about
i don't think it'll kill anything
especially not if you dilute it by hosing it afterwards

Um, I don't think that's quite right. I changed my coolant one day on a patch of grass where I used to live in NSW and the grass died. The patch was still dead 12 months later.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post