Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #91
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Go Tracey, ACA for the win

The cop: "research has shown...." Proof surrogate fallacy!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #92
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funniest line I've ever read..."3kph over is more than adequate" and you should be able to keep that under control easily. Really? Honestly?
I just went and had a quick look at the speedo on the G6E...by the spacing on the speedo figures, 3kph would be about a speedo needle and a half or maybe two needle widths wide. It's only calibrated in 5kph increments anyway. That's assuming it's dead on spot on accurate...and it isn't. By the sat nav it's approximately 3 or 4kph fast, so on a highway run I set the cruise control to 103 or 104 and I know I'm actually doing 100 to 101kph.

...erm...

...that's assuming the GPS is dead on accurate...
Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #93
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When are people going to get over the fact they are an avoidable tax. I would rather have revenue raised from pea heads rather than an unavoidable tax from my pocket. All the habitual speeders Ive come across deserve every thing they get and some more.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #94
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
When are people going to get over the fact they are an avoidable tax. I would rather have revenue raised from pea heads rather than an unavoidable tax from my pocket. All the habitual speeders Ive come across deserve every thing they get and some more.
GST is an avoidable tax too if you import everything from overseas, but people seem to be up in arms about that (IM LOOKING AT YOU GERRY HARVEY).
Old 10-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #95
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
GST is an avoidable tax too if you import everything from overseas, but people seem to be up in arms about that (IM LOOKING AT YOU GERRY HARVEY).
but don't you get stung with a tax of some form if the value of your items goes over around $900
Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #96
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Funniest line I've ever read..."3kph over is more than adequate" and you should be able to keep that under control easily. Really? Honestly?
I just went and had a quick look at the speedo on the G6E...by the spacing on the speedo figures, 3kph would be about a speedo needle and a half or maybe two needle widths wide.
...and if you own a Porsche...

Old 10-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #97
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

My FG is probably the easiest car I've had so far to maintain speed at the limit, where I'm most confident not to get pinged by a camera. The large digital speedo in front of me is easy to glance at and is precise, which I've checked with my accurate GPS, showed pretty much the same speeds at 80, 90, 100 an 110kph, and 2 over at 60kph. Coupled with the cruise control with the set speed readout, which I use just about all the time when not following anyone doing under the limit, if I get caught by a camera its because I was pushing the margin.

But then I get into my 1972 MGB. Firstly I need to mentally convert any speed limit into miles per hour. Then there is no cruise control and the accelerator is sensitive at speed. So I need to constantly keep an eye on the speedo but I wouldnt really know how accurate the speedo is anyway, I havent been able to check it with my GPS as there is no power to plug it into. I get an idea of the speedo accuracy from other cars around me, but not sure really. And then the speed check on the Calder nearby hasnt been working for a few years now, so I cant check it with that. Despite the fact the speeds showing on that check tended to vary each time, when it was working. All these factors get combined so there is a bigger risk of accidentally going over the limit. 3kph margin is just nonsense with that car.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #98
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Different states different rules, Vic no longer has the 10% tolerance (I dont beleive we have offically been advised what the new tolerance is, however I believe its 3k's)
Yeah well IMO thats a valid complaint, 10% always seemed fair to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I just went and had a quick look at the speedo on the G6E...by the spacing on the speedo figures, 3kph would be about a speedo needle and a half or maybe two needle widths wide. It's only calibrated in 5kph increments anyway. That's assuming it's dead on spot on accurate...and it isn't. By the sat nav it's approximately 3 or 4kph fast, so on a highway run I set the cruise control to 103 or 104 and I know I'm actually doing 100 to 101kph.

...erm...

...that's assuming the GPS is dead on accurate...
actually 10% is fair (for issuing fines), but 3km is adequate (for checking speedo). The statement is in reference to checking the speedo and knowing at a glance that you are over. No need to stare at the speedo to calculate how far over, its easy to see youre over. 60 is pretty well marked and 2-3km is clear to see the needle is past that mark. So, seeing it should be quick, not requiring you to stare at it as is claimed to create the so called danger from inattention to the road due to checking it.

Might want to be careful highlighting how certain vehicles are much harder to do so in, all it says is the cars are inadequate for driving within the law. Some people have no idea what sort of rod they create for their own back.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #99
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

fmc, the point I'm making is people don't intentionally go over the limit, and when they do it usually means they're just driving to the conditions - not racing or driving negligently. The very high percentage of those fined at just 10km/h over is proof that these people weren't speeding, because that's not "SPEEDING", because speeding is when you get fools think they're on a racetrack and start doing 30km/h over.

My point earlier is people should be encouraged to drive without an added pressure of potentially losing their licences. "Just drive to the limit and you'll be fine, you won't be fined" isn't the answer, because guess what, people still stack it due to countless other reasons.

If they REALLY wanted slow people down at least use speed humps in 50 zones, not hidden cameras. The reason they don't is obvious.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:38 AM   #100
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
fmc, the point I'm making is people don't intentionally go over the limit, and when they do it usually means they're just driving to the conditions - not racing or driving negligently. The very high percentage of those fined at just 10km/h over is proof that these people weren't speeding, because that's not "SPEEDING", because speeding is when you get fools think they're on a racetrack and start doing 30km/h over.

My point earlier is people should be encouraged to drive without an added pressure of potentially losing their licences. "Just drive to the limit and you'll be fine, you won't be fined" isn't the answer, because guess what, people still stack it due to countless other reasons.

If they REALLY wanted slow people down at least use speed humps in 50 zones, not hidden cameras. The reason they don't is obvious.
I agree driving to the limit and thats it, is not a safe message and lulls people into a false sense of security. Much like that idiot campaign of bubble driving years ago. But these are different issues to what I responded to posted by Gecko. It was simply the issue that they require you to stare at the speedo which creates danger, I dont buy it due to other things that require far more scrutiny from the person behind the wheel. If you cant manage the simple task of a speedo glance and know what it says, you shouldnt be driving. (not you personally, the generic you) There are much bigger challenges required to be a safe driver.

And the speed cameras as revenue raisers? I dont know anyone who thinks otherwise. They also dont care as its an idiot tax. They would prefer them placed in black spots and outside schools etc, but in the end they dont care that people get done at them. But again, this is a separate to whether they agree with any given posted limit.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #101
spebgtsprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

You are 100% correct mate - Top Post.

The only realistic way that will make people adhere to the designated speed limit at all times is actual Police Presence on the roads.

And we all know that is always in the too hard basket.

XR8 SPRINT
FREE HO
MERC C55 AMG
AUDI A4
Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #102
MAD
Petro-sexual

I've said before, for behavioural changes to occur the punishment needs to be made at the time. Getting a letter in the mail 2-3 weeks later is akin to video taping your dog during the day and giving it a whack when you get home.

More police on the roads more of the time is the best solution.

I have a camera I go through everyday that is just after the crest of a small incline. Trying to manage speed and watch everyone around me is a tough task in this section of road. It's way too easy to creep over after you reach the crest and the road is flat again. And if you drove with the people I drive with around me, you wouldnt want to take your eyes off the road for a second either.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #103
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
I agree driving to the limit and thats it, is not a safe message and lulls people into a false sense of security. Much like that idiot campaign of bubble driving years ago. But these are different issues to what I responded to posted by Gecko. It was simply the issue that they require you to stare at the speedo which creates danger, I dont buy it due to other things that require far more scrutiny from the person behind the wheel. If you cant manage the simple task of a speedo glance and know what it says, you shouldnt be driving. (not you personally, the generic you) There are much bigger challenges required to be a safe driver.

And the speed cameras as revenue raisers? I dont know anyone who thinks otherwise. They also dont care as its an idiot tax. They would prefer them placed in black spots and outside schools etc, but in the end they dont care that people get done at them. But again, this is a separate to whether they agree with any given posted limit.
Not staring at a speedo, but a quick glance (less than a second) if you are travelling at 80k's per hour your car will still travel approx. 20 metres.

There was an ad compaign down here (in Vic) awhile ago (not sure if it aired in Queensland) But it was based on distracted drivers and how they are more likely to be involved in an accident (things like changing a CD etc) So by the same token anything that takes your eyes off the road is going in increase your chances of being involved in an accident (even checking your speedo, however it would be a marginal increase)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 11-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #104
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Not staring at a speedo, but a quick glance (less than a second) if you are travelling at 80k's per hour your car will still travel approx. 20 metres.

There was an ad compaign down here (in Vic) awhile ago (not sure if it aired in Queensland) But it was based on distracted drivers and how they are more likely to be involved in an accident (things like changing a CD etc) So by the same token anything that takes your eyes off the road is going in increase your chances of being involved in an accident (even checking your speedo, however it would be a marginal increase)
At the risk of repeating myself, it takes a shedload more time to check a rear view mirror, side mirror, then headcheck to change lanes. Maybe we shouldnt be allowed to change lanes or overtake either. Its all part of driving, and should be easily manageable.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #105
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
At the risk of repeating myself, it takes a shedload more time to check a rear view mirror, side mirror, then headcheck to change lanes. Maybe we shouldnt be allowed to change lanes or overtake either. Its all part of driving, and should be easily manageable.
as I said in another thread, for those that cant chew gum and walk at the same time, perhaps they should catch the bus.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #106
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Some here must really love the look if their own posts, very repetitive

What happens when a thread goes around and around in cicles?

It gets locked down, we are done here.