Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Space saver spare tyres - speed limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
I see plenty of Dunlop 200E's fited to them. I also see Wanlis, Sunny's and retreads fitted to them. 215/60X16 to be precise. Oh and they're not directional. Any more info you want over them?

El cheapo tyres. Mate, some elcheapo tyres are a hell of a lot better than the high quality Banglop garbage they put as OE stuff on Fords. Even people on this forum hate the high priced Banglops that are OE on Fords. So perhaps you'd better read some more before opening mouth.

Now why mention the other brands of cars and bike YOU did? Won't answer that one will you
So some if not most or the original tyres fitted to FG Falcons are directional then.

Why did I mention all my cars and bikes? Well because all of them have directional tyres and since last posting I have wandered up the esplanade this morning and more than half of the cars parked along the road had directional tyres.

Your replies are getting a bit agressive. If you have information then please pass it on but I strongly recommend you tone it down.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #32
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They can do the same thing with a space saver fitted too
not likely if its been fitted as per manufacturer's instructions.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #33
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
not likely if its been fitted as per manufacturer's instructions.

Same applies with directional tyres fitted to the car when it was the spare.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #34
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So some if not most or the original tyres fitted to FG Falcons are directional then.

Why did I mention all my cars and bikes? Well because all of them have directional tyres and since last posting I have wandered up the esplanade this morning and more than half of the cars parked along the road had directional tyres.

Your replies are getting a bit agressive. If you have information then please pass it on but I strongly recommend you tone it down.

Again you're quoting from what is a small portion of what is available on this car. However because you read magazines and owners manuals, you have to be right and my regular observations are wrong. What more information do you need?

Your comments relating to my personal choice of cars is neither warranted, nor appreciated. Everyone is entitled to have their personal preference as to their mode of transport and still be part of this forum. So I would suggest you respect that and then you'll get the respect back.

Enough said????

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 20-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #35
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Why are the Falcon spare tyres only limited to 80km/hr?
Any vehicle using these would need to be limited in speed.
The difference in diameter may confuse ABS and/or ESP settings?
The width doesn't do much for cornering or braking grip - up to 3 car lengths in stopping distances from 80km/h in emergency braking situations. And, going off appearance only the basic strength of one of these looks as cheap and nasty as a Valiant.
Old 20-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #36
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
And, going off appearance only the basic strength of one of these looks as cheap and nasty as a Valiant.
Ooo...the them's fightin' words...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #37
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Ooo...the them's fightin' words...
You saying spacesavers aren't that bad?
Old 20-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #38
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
You saying spacesavers aren't that bad?
i think he his view on valiants is different to most of us
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #39
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Again you're quoting from what is a small portion of what is available on this car. However because you read magazines and owners manuals, you have to be right and my regular observations are wrong. What more information do you need?

Your comments relating to my personal choice of cars is neither warranted, nor appreciated. Everyone is entitled to have their personal preference as to their mode of transport and still be part of this forum. So I would suggest you respect that and then you'll get the respect back.

Enough said????
Do you actually read other people's posts before replying?

The topic is about ORIGINAL space saver spares and ORIGINAL tyres that come with NEW Falcons. It has NOTHING to do with other brands or types of tyres fitted to Falcons or anything else at a later time.

If your personal choice of car is not a late model falcon then it has very little relevance to the thread. I only included my non Falcon cars as a demonstration that your comment about most tyres being of a certain type may apply to your local area rather than the whole of Australia.

Now keep your replies on topic and not aggressive.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #40
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Wifies MB Mondeo has a space saver spare, have no issues with it. As with all of this type, 80km/h limited with the required rim sticker. Old 1994-5 and on SEATS have them too.

Will not run with directional tryres 'backward' as described.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #41
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

I love Valiants also ( just trying to lighten the mood a bit )

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #42
buggo
[BU66OS]

As well as a speed limit, is there a recommended max distance you can use a space saver before having to put the original back back on?

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #43
HSE2

A member contacted me expressing concern at the tone of replies in this thread. If you can't conduct oneself with respect to your surroundings, your input is not warranted or welcome here. You could be the world's biggest expert in the field but if you don't conduct yourself with some dignity and self respect you can't expect it to be returned to you. I have had enough of people that think a forum is a place to big note themselves at the expense of others, wearing attitude as a badge of pride out of ignorance. Users bragging about being abrasive.
Specifically here.
SVO, collectively in this thread alone, you are on notice. One more indulgence is such conduct and it won't be a temporary ban if I see it. Enough is enough!. Stick to the topic and state opinions in the required manor please.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #44
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The steel rim that Ford use to supply was speed limited to 80. Doesn't matter as the longest it stayed on my car was a couple of hours.

Also most FG Falcons aren't running directional tyres.
Old 21-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #45
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
..how often do you really need every possible single cubic centimeter of load space in the boot? .
they are not only space savers, but weight savers. every pound of dead weight you carry costs in fuel consumption.
Old 21-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #46
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
As well as a speed limit, is there a recommended max distance you can use a space saver before having to put the original back back on?
I know there used to be...one would assume tyre technology had advances would mean they last longer than a certain distance nowadays.
I can recall the first ones of those stupid wheels I saw had limits something like "80kph for a distance of 140km" or similar to that, and those of us who actually drove outside capital cities and had travelled the distances out to Longreach, Winton, and beyond, all looked at one another knowingly...

Weight savings? The difference would be literally unnoticeable to all but the most dedicated motorists with some very fine measuring equipment. Your economy would vary more noticeably by turning on the air con or having a dirty air cleaner than having a full sized wheel or a useless space saver.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #47
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Space savers come in various sizes. From very skinny ones to larger sizes.

The skinner ones, which are generally found these days in smaller cars, are only recommended to be used for a very short travel distance, due to the narrowness of them, along with the lack of tread depth. They also recommend these tyres be pumped upto 60 PSI, rather than the normal car tyre pressure. (which is between 32 and 40PSI, give or take a few PSI)

The larger sizes (which start round the 215/60X16 in the Ford range) can be run right out until they are bald, providing they are used with another 3 tyres of the same size. When you use all 4 the same size, the car speed can be right upto the speed limit, with no ill effects to the car or your insurance/roadworthiness of the car.

The reasons they place the speed limited sticker on these space saver spares in the Falcons (plus others which is irrevelant to this particular thread), is because the space saver tyre is smaller than what is actually fitted to the car. So it will cause the car to handle alot differently and also upset various computer controlled systems fited to the car (which another member has previously pointed out). So the manufacturers place warnings on the rim, to save them from any potential legal action that might occur as a result.

So should anyone with a Falcon wish to upgrade their space saver spare to a spare the same size fitted to the car, they can onsell that particular tyre to another person who has the same size already fitted to their car and there will be no issues about running it until it is totally worn out.

The reason I suspect manufacturers are using space saver spares is cost cutting. ie put a smaller, therefore cheaper tyre in as a spare and save a few bucks. it also allows more useable boot space, which we all like from time to time

So I do hope this helps a fewe people in the long run

Last edited by svo supporter; 22-11-2011 at 12:01 AM.