Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Default PPQ not so personalised anymore?

So I was just browsing on personalised plates Qld for some new plates. Pretty much everything I entered was 'sold out' as in they have been issued as regular plates. Even in the list of suggestions usually they have a heap of similar ones but they were all sold out aswell. There were a few that said not available and had suggestions that were still available but it was very few and far between. How is one meant to get a personalised plate now? Is there any dedicated sites or pages that people post up on to sell their plates?

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
GTP 290

Default Re: PPQ not so personalised anymore?

have a look on EBAY, also go grab yourself a copy of ust cars magazine and look in the back. The only other decent choice is to look in the for sale sections of forums.

e.g.----> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GT-FURY-Q...item415f8c54bb

Last edited by GTP 290; 20-11-2011 at 11:16 PM.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So your after 3 by 3 plates then? 3 number and 3 letters will be very hard to get as they are used as the standard combo for regular plates, hence why not many are available.

why not try 3 by 2 ? or 2 by 3...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
kenz
BOSS Pilot

never even thought of ebay, thanks.
Yea I tried the 3x2 2x3 aswell and nothing that suited is available. It needs to be suited to a person more than a type of car etc, which makes it alot harder to get something that works

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 20-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have a look at the PPQ site they have a "Sale & Auctions" section which could have something that might interest you.
Old 21-11-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
GULL
TuRbO

Sell you my 2x2.( DJ 17 )FOR 2000. COST 995
Old 21-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple reason for it...the personalised plate system has been out for a long time now, and all the popular ones are gone. Not to mention there are people who seem to horde the damn things and wait for someone to really want a plate. I'm not sure if you can do that in Queensland though.

I remember the days before personalised plates, when if you were in a smaller rural city and got on good terms with the local Main Roads Department (as it was then) you could ask someone behind the counter to keep an eye out for certain plates to come up in the cycle and snap them up. That's how two workmates of mine, a pair of brothers, on a farm I worked on back in 1982 got great plates for their cars, an XY panel van and an XY ute. They got standard plates that said "HOT-351" and "HOT-302". This was before the letters and numbers swapped places to the numbers first and letters last.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can get a email from ppq (personalised plates qld) of new releases,i bought HEMI01 yesterday for $435
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau
you can get a email from ppq (personalised plates qld) of new releases,i bought HEMI01 yesterday for $435
so you were offered $2395 plates for $435?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
3 number and 3 letters will be very hard to get as they are used as the standard combo for regular plates, hence why not many are available.
one of the main reasons is if the 3x3 combo resembles anything close to someone's 3x2 custom combo then you cant have it.

eg, QIK 01 is taken, so therefore QIK 001 becomes unavailable too
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
so you were offered $2395 plates for $435?

one of the main reasons is if the 3x3 combo resembles anything close to someone's 3x2 custom combo then you cant have it.

eg, QIK 01 is taken, so therefore QIK 001 becomes unavailable too
I just went to buy a whole pile of plates for Xmas presents and they were ALL $435......until I went to pay for them.....

Strangely all of a sudden they were over $2k each again.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I was very surprised to get my 3x3 combo.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

like i said ppq emails you and tells you of new releases if your on the mailing list,they released HEMI## plates on saturday.they bring out new releases every now and then but if you not on the ball someone will get them before you its that simple.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau
That's a great score!
Old 21-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
red80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends what combo you are after but you may be able to comprimise using numbers as letters, My missus got me 083NNO (Benno) as every conceivable BEN combo was out. Also Got my Daughter (6yrs old) 004BBY (Abby) for when she gets a car so I may be one of those hoarders I also get really lucky with my 1966 XR falcon as you can imagine all of the XR6 XR8 combinations have been nabbed
red80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn't aware you could just go and buy plates and not put them on a car!

I thought in Queensland that you could only buy them to register a vehicle, not to give away or just horde for later or to try for an investment value.

Just had a poke around the PPQ website, and saw I could get one of the new "2x2 flexi" plates for the Celica..."RA60" (the model of the car) is available! For the low low price of $995 for a stamped and printed plastic plate! Wow! I'll fricking rush straight out and order that one...

The prices are just ludicrous for even the most basic metal 3x2 or 2x3 plates...they're stamped out by the thousands, and at least with the metal ones someone has to make sure the press does it correctly. The plastic "prestige" ones are just printed out and should cost a few bucks at most.
As for "keeping thems exclusive" that's just to keep the price artificially high...what do they care if everyone has personalised plates? And once all the popular ones are gone, too bad. People would just get more creative.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 21-11-2011 at 04:33 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
red80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You basically just order them on line then you can put them on your car or give them as a gift etc or leave them in the cupboard. I have a mate with a pile of plates at home, the ones on ebay etc are ridiculous, you would be pretty keen on just the right plate to pay some of the dollars they are asking
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW...item1c1f4d3cf0
Old 21-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

I thought in Queensland that you could only buy them to register a vehicle, not to give away or just horde for later or to try for an investment value.

Just had a poke around the PPQ website, and saw I could get one of the new "2x2 flexi" plates for the Celica..."RA60" (the model of the car) is available! For the low low price of $995 for a stamped and printed plastic plate! Wow! I'll fricking rush straight out and order that one...

The prices are just ludicrous for even the most basic metal 3x2 or 2x3 plates...they're stamped out by the thousands, and at least with the metal ones someone has to make sure the press does it correctly. The plastic "prestige" ones are just printed out and should cost a few bucks at most.
As for "keeping thems exclusive" that's just to keep the price artificially high...what do they care if everyone has personalised plates? And once all the popular ones are gone, too bad. People would just get more creative.
In QLD you own them and can do whatever you like with them including hoarding.

Do a bit of research into who actually owns PPQ and a lot of things including the pricing will become a lot more understandable.......
Old 21-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FPVBOSS-Q...item3a6cfa9759

rediculous isnt it...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In QLD you own them and can do whatever you like with them including hoarding.

Do a bit of research into who actually owns PPQ and a lot of things including the pricing will become a lot more understandable.......
Aren’t they owned by a mob called Power Industries Pty Ltd....? property developers amongst other things....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Aren’t they owned by a mob called Power Industries Pty Ltd....? property developers amongst other things....
Unfortunately any answer to this question would breach the T&C with regard to posts of a "political" nature.......
Old 21-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #21
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

The plates i have here for the XC ,"302 OXC " (kinda matches the username )are on the car , not registered to any car just on the XC (its unreg in the shed)
Ive had them for a few years maybe,i paid $415 for them and have been offered a fair wack more , but theyll never be for sale
The main problem with custom or prestige plates, is those with alot of time try different combos , buy for cheap and unload.If a combo is avaliable its only held for a week or two ,then if payment isnt received there back on the open market,not like other states, where you can hold a combo and pay a yearly fee for it to be held
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #22
red80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember the good old N, O, P black and white plates, $120 from memory
That is any combo you want as long as it started with an n,o or p for non QLders, that was about 6 or so years ago now.
Old 21-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #23
kenz
BOSS Pilot

There was a guy that used to live near me that had about 6 or 7 little stickers made up of the various plates he owns and had them stuck on his back window with his phone number...

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 21-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #24
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I just went to buy a whole pile of plates for Xmas presents and they were ALL $435......until I went to pay for them.....

Strangely all of a sudden they were over $2k each again.
How does one make it onto your Christmas list?
Old 21-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #25
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I picked up Prestige plates for the Wife's BMW Z4 (W1LD 1) about 6 months ago. Was suprised they were still available. They do come with a good price!!
Have a set of 3x3 on the EB (NOW666) and 3x2 on the AU(AUV08).
The BM & EB are registered & I just deregistered the AU as I've started doing some work on it and will take a while to get done, but when it's finished it will be registered and have the same plates. I've just left them on the car.They might cost a few dollars to get but at least they are yours and there are no annual fees.
Old 21-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #26
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
The main problem with custom or prestige plates, is those with alot of time try different combos , buy for cheap and unload.
that would be fantastic if it worked like that, but the reality is that all the people asking anything more than 30% of their original purchase price are dreaming unless it has something to do with a HO GT

theres plenty ways to make a combo, just need a little imagination

AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #27
red80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
that would be fantastic if it worked like that, but the reality is that all the people asking anything more than 30% of their original purchase price are dreaming unless it has something to do with a HO GT

True, I don't know about you but I don't have $435 to throw at a set of plates in the hope someone wants them so bad they will pay $500 odd for them.
Old 21-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #28
myxr6
Banned

These are still available.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 49xc.gif (4.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: gif 58xc.gif (3.6 KB, 59 views)
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #29
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red80
Remember the good old N, O, P black and white plates, $120 from memory
That is any combo you want as long as it started with an n,o or p for non QLders, that was about 6 or so years ago now.
I got one of these plates for my WRX. Cost me $180 back in about 01 I think. Now they want something like $495 for the same plates!

The plates that came with my WRX are now also mine as I wanted a slim line plate for the front. First I had to "own" the plates, then I could get a slimline. These plates are now just sitting in my shed as they haven't been used since I got the black and white plates. Thought about putting them on the XR50 as they were 333... but the XR50 came with 222... so they're easy to remember too
Old 22-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #30
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Exactly right, imagination helps
There are plenty of combos still avaliable
The minister wanted a certain combo for years,seen the exact combo on a car in town , well swap the letters and numbers around and she was happy
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post