Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #31
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Default Re: Inboard set headlights, dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Honestly have to say that if this is branded as a design flaw, FORD are screwed. Just shows no matter what they do their teeth would still be kicked in. I just cannot see how the design of the headlights can alter the perception when ... as stated already ... with motorbikes to Micra's on the road at night ..... really if this is an issue some should be not driving at night and there are other issues that need addressing.

The only thing I notice about an on coming FG at night is that I can usually pick from a while off that it is an FG. They look different but no way bad ...... IMO

If it aint broke don't fix it? Yep .... the XF was/is bullet proof. Should have stayed with that one I suppose.

Couldn't have put it any better.
Old 16-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #32
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i don't understand your analogy. on a sunny day, sun glasses would be worn. some fog lights and high beams are generally only a problem on a day where it is too dark for sunnies and the lights are effectively brighter because of this
Well maybe so, but not everyone wheres sunnies either.

I just don't understand everyone's fuss over fog lights. I very rarely use mine(only in bad weather), but I don't mind if someone else does.

Most of the time you see cars driving around with fog lights on during the day anyway.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #33
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Well maybe so, but not everyone wheres sunnies either.

I just don't understand everyone's fuss over fog lights. I very rarely use mine(only in bad weather), but I don't mind if someone else does.

Most of the time you see cars driving around with fog lights on during the day anyway.
they can be very bright - the only ones that come to my mind are the rear ones on excel's and the new great wall's. the front ones are not a major problem, but certainly the rear ones on those 2 vehicles are a major pain

some people have different tolerances than others to bright lights. there are a number of reasons, why un-necessary lights can be a pain
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #34
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yeah rear is a whole different ball game. I couldn't care less about front ones, but Rear fog lights are very annoying. They are normally brighter then brake lights.

If its a quite road I will overtake the car with the rear foglights on, then turn mine on as soon as I pass them.
Old 16-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #35
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it looks ******* tough..you take a look at an FG at night with low beams and foggies on..it has an incredible stance.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #36
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I have to elaborate, I dont think its a design flaw (it does help in the looks dept actually, looks better than VE or BA IMO), nor would I say dangerous, only something I've noticed, whether the headlights are the cause for drivers pulling out close in front of me I really dont know, as I dont get out of the car and ask them.
And with regard to the foglights, whenever I see any other FG with their foggies on, to me they look just like another set of headlights, no brighter than the normal headlights. Discussion of foglights on other cars and their use is irrelevant to this thread IMO.
And I do only have the foglights on in the dark when on a highway approaching potentially a dangerous and busy uncontrolled intersection, only to help the drivers on the intersecting road to see me better, once past I switch them off again. Or in poor visibility when they are legally allowed to be on.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Your getting cut off more because the driving standards of braindead drivers is dropping by the day. Too busy screwing around on phones etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
I think it looks ******* tough..you take a look at an FG at night with low beams and foggies on..it has an incredible stance.
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #39
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Your getting cut off more because the driving standards of braindead drivers is dropping by the day. Too busy screwing around on phones etc.
^^^^ THIS ^^^^
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #40
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
I think I know what you mean there. The shape of the lights somehow implies aggressive negative camber.

I think the argument about the headlights is moot in the end, to me its a way of identifying what the car is in the first place. A few years when the VY was new I'd watch myself at night when I saw those little parkers at the bottom of the light behind me in case it was a new patrol car. I'm thankful of the differences of each headlight out there.

Or should we go back to 7" sealed beams?
Old 17-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #41
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

The discussion about fog lights is off topic, no more thanks.
Old 18-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #42
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I dont see why there is such a big deal about this. I dont mind it. It makes the car look different at night.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #43
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess I will have to do a statistical analysis of how many times I get cut off in my EB, compared to when I get an FG, although I drive on Nepean hwy so I guess any car you drive, every result will be the same. Every second car cuts you off -_-
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #44
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive a car with inboard set headlights all the time. I have not noticed being cut off any extra times. I probably get cut off less TBH.
Old 18-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #45
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I really dont get the issue?
My XR5 has inbound low beam aswell (Not as inwards as FG)
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #46
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

They've been around since the 1950's

Old 18-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #47
stevz
Banned

^^^
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #48
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know if is just me but I found after getting out of a BA into the FG the headlights had a much better beam spread than the BA.

So I don't know how some people say they are getting cut off more
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #49
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
lols how some are blaming a so called design flaw as justification for use of dh lights... congrats dh you now get around looking like a dh....
Hahaha, Suppose your one of those Dip S...s who drive in bad weather with just their torch globe sized parkers on, thinking everyone will see them now!

As for the OPs theroy of people pulling out in front of you, it's nothing to do with the headlights, They do it during the day time too!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #50
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I dont find this an issue at all. And Im failing to grasp how it could be. I find 4x4s sitting on my **** at night with their low beams shooting straight through my window more annoying. But im not about to call it a design flaw....
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #51
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

By the looks of it ... people are looking too much at headlights ... and not enough at the road in front of them.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #52
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

The next thread will be that the difference in the distance between tail-lights/brake-lights, causes more tailgating and rear-end crashes, because they can not judge their distance behind them.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #53
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi
Didn't they have this issue with motorbikes year ago, alot of manufactures were having dual headlights on the bike and at a quick glance, looked like a car way further down the road then what the motorbike was. Hence why all motorbikes are only a single lowbeam.

Yes I have noticed this, some bikes (with two side by side lights can appear to be a car some distance down the road)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #54
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Yes I have noticed this, some bikes (with two side by side lights can appear to be a car some distance down the road)
And it could get confusing (for some) if two Motorbikes were riding side by side but not keeping the same distance apart all the time.....
Old 22-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #55
prydey
Rob

i'm glad there doesn't seem to be the same issue with brake lights!! i can just imagine the defense of running up the back of someone!! but your honour, i thought it was a larger car further away...
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post