Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
letmethinkabout
Starter Motor

Default Wiper Blades 08 Focus

I had the wiper inserts replaced at the last service and they're still rubbing on the glass unless there is a bucketload of rain but I've put up with it for a few months now.

Dropped by Ford they had a look and suggested new inserts I suggested blades as new insertts didn't seem to help last time and was quoted $180 to supply and fit .

Now that seems a bit much for something I can essentially do myself. Any ideas if I am being ripped off or maybe they've made an error?

What's a good non-genuine replacement I can get easily and fit myself?

letmethinkabout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wiper Blades 08 Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmethinkabout
I had the wiper inserts replaced at the last service and they're still rubbing on the glass unless there is a bucketload of rain but I've put up with it for a few months now.

Dropped by Ford they had a look and suggested new inserts I suggested blades as new insertts didn't seem to help last time and was quoted $180 to supply and fit .

Now that seems a bit much for something I can essentially do myself. Any ideas if I am being ripped off or maybe they've made an error?

What's a good non-genuine replacement I can get easily and fit myself?
Go buy a pair of those red silicon insert , should go about $25.00 and fit them your self
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trico make replacement wiper arms but not simply the inserts. TEC650 is the part number for the long (drivers side one) and TEC425 is the passenger side
You should get these and some other brands at Burson, Super cheap etc.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
kinksta
Luxojet

Could also try some window cleaner, like Rain-X, or a $3 can from Supercheap. Stopped my wipers rubbing and the water beads off
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
letmethinkabout
Starter Motor

Thanks kinksta, might try that first.
Old 30-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

$180 for wiper blades... it would be cheaper to replace the windscreeen.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Repco sell their own branded wiper blade replacements. Kit comes with a range of fittings. Have had these fitted for 12+ months with no issues. Only real difference between OEM and these (other than price) is they aren't as streamlined.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #8
letmethinkabout
Starter Motor

Got through 2 applications of Rain -x but the insert was really beginning to look bent. Went into Repco on the weekend and they wouldn't sell me anything!!!! Insisted that there's no decent after market product available and to go genuine. Refreshing albeit puzzling customer service.

Called into a dealer other than where I normally go and got some inserts for $14, seem to be doing the job ok. The blades would be about $90 the set.

They told me there that it's not unusual for some Ford dealer service centres to fit non genuine parts. Reassuring words.
Old 23-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
ConradP

Quote:
They told me there that it's not unusual for some Ford dealer service centres to fit non genuine parts. Reassuring words.
One dealer got in alot of strife years ago for doing that, pretty sure he's not a dealer anymore. Buut he was telling people they were genuine parts, so probably the main reason..
Old 23-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Got a pair of whole blades from ebay UK for something silly, like $20 delivered. Still haven't had the need to open the tube as yet but for that price well worth the gamble.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
dustint89
Starter Motor

i got a pair from costco, $9.50 each for a 24" and 16" if i remember correctly, they come with universal clips and they fit my focus LS fine.
Goodyear Rubber Branded
dustint89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
elgreko

Aldi sells them as well!!!