Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-09-2011, 03:34 AM   #31
bseos

Default Re: 07' Focus - 11.2L/100KM Fuel Usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
not trying to be rude or anything but i find when i drive my fg xr6 reasnoable hard i get black carbon around the tip of my exhaust
shell petrol?
-K&N Pod Filter
-XR5 Rims (Late Model)
bseos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #32
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to get around 9.5 in my LS focus XR5 around town. My Mondeo XR5 gets me around 9.7. 11.2 is way to high for a 4cyl. Go get it checked out, have it serviced and maybe they can reflash the computer. Might be a factory setting that needs fixing.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #33
steambao
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I used to get around 9.5 in my LS focus XR5 around town. My Mondeo XR5 gets me around 9.7. 11.2 is way to high for a 4cyl. Go get it checked out, have it serviced and maybe they can reflash the computer. Might be a factory setting that needs fixing.
Thnx man. Although XR5 is a manual, will let the guys know.
steambao is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #34
focus36
Starter Motor

I reset my trip and avg fuel meters everytime I fill up. I use 95 ron
focus36 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #35
steambao
Starter Motor

Woohoo!! Sent my Car to get checked today. Was deemed as not running rich (which i suspected), but the servo was nice enough to give me new air filter, spark plugs, and flash my computer software to newer version cos I bothered to bring it in.

My average fuel per 100km has now dropped down to 10.9 For the first time ever did it drop down past the 11.1L/100km mark. And I believe it still has a bit to drop the more I drove (only drove 109km since getting the car - 70km of which in stop start traffic, and the rest at 80km/h zones on rolling hills)!!!

Pretty exciting stuff
Old 17-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #36
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by steambao
Woohoo!! Sent my Car to get checked today. Was deemed as not running rich (which i suspected), but the servo was nice enough to give me new air filter, spark plugs, and flash my computer software to newer version cos I bothered to bring it in.

My average fuel per 100km has now dropped down to 10.9 For the first time ever did it drop down past the 11.1L/100km mark. And I believe it still has a bit to drop the more I drove (only drove 109km since getting the car - 70km of which in stop start traffic, and the rest at 80km/h zones on rolling hills)!!!

Pretty exciting stuff
What does the factory sticker say for freeway consumption?

Ok, I just looked it up. Freeway it's rated at 5.2L /100 and 8L /100 in the city.

If you are at 10 and 11 you are either thrashing it or there is something wrong.

Pump your tyres to correct freeway pressure or a few PSI above, empty the boot and head to your closest freeway.

Get to about 90-100km/ph, hold her steady and reset the fuel usage gauge.

Hold the speed for as long as you can, 10-15km worth. At the start it will be all over the place, but after a few minutes it will start to settle down and the average will be more constant.

You SHOULD be able to achieve a rating of between 5.5 and 6L / 100 by the end of your little road test. If you are over that, and have followed what I have said above you have an issue IMO.

Before anyone jumps up and down saying you can never match or beat the sticker in the 'real world', I do... all the time.

My auto TDCI Focus will hover at 4.3-4.5L / 100 if I do what I explained above and the ADR consumption figure is 4.8L / 100.

My average is sitting at 6.8L of pretty much total city / stop start driving and the factory urban sticker says 7.9L / 100. And it isn't being babied either.

Post your findings... curious to see how you went.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #37
steambao
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
What does the factory sticker say for freeway consumption?

Ok, I just looked it up. Freeway it's rated at 5.2L /100 and 8L /100 in the city.

If you are at 10 and 11 you are either thrashing it or there is something wrong.

Pump your tyres to correct freeway pressure or a few PSI above, empty the boot and head to your closest freeway.

Hold the speed for as long as you can, 10-15km worth. At the start it will be all over the place, but after a few minutes it will start to settle down and the average will be more constant.

You SHOULD be able to achieve a rating of between 5.5 and 6L / 100 by the end of your little road test. If you are over that, and have followed what I have said above you have an issue IMO.

Before anyone jumps up and down saying you can never match or beat the sticker in the 'real world', I do... all the time.

My auto TDCI Focus will hover at 4.3-4.5L / 100 if I do what I explained above and the ADR consumption figure is 4.8L / 100.

My average is sitting at 6.8L of pretty much total city / stop start driving and the factory urban sticker says 7.9L / 100. And it isn't being babied either.

Post your findings... curious to see how you went.
I'll give it a go tonight Should I just use cruise control???

The guys at the servo said they can't do much about it after what they have done- and put it down to my driving.... I definately don't trash it though, I'm never first off the lights
Old 17-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #38
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yeah use the CC. Just remember, get to speed, then reset average consumption then hold that speed for as long as you think needed. 10 or 15 km should do it. You will know when you hit a reliable average when the number takes more than 30 seconds between changes of .1 up or down. The figure you see when you're about to exit the freeway is your consumption figure.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #39
DeKa

I have a 2009 LV Zetec auto and get around 11L/100km in the city too. I run it on 95 Octane fuel. I wouldn't be concerned. The car's official Urban rating is 11.4 so you're bettering that

Official ratings for the 2L Duratec HE / Auto is
Highway (90km/h) 6.3L/100km
Urban 11.4L/100km
Combined 8.4L/100km
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #40
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I tried this tonight. Got a nice long run at a steady 90-100kph, got down to as low as 5.4. For future reference, LV petrol auto with 2.25" exhaust. I've done something similar once before without the exhaust for 5.7 best at those speeds (down to 5.4 when I came down to 70kph for a stretch), though I remember being held up slightly a couple of times on that "run".

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #41
steambao
Starter Motor

Quote:
Yeah use the CC. Just remember, get to speed, then reset average consumption then hold that speed for as long as you think needed. 10 or 15 km should do it. You will know when you hit a reliable average when the number takes more than 30 seconds between changes of .1 up or down. The figure you see when you're about to exit the freeway is your consumption figure.
Went for a 80km drive today down highway at 80-110km/hour speeds. Reset trip meter and at first was down to 6.9L/100km... but slowly rose to 7.9L/100km.

Continued to drive around country side for another 200km, before heading back home and encountering some city traffic for 30 minutes. Total average was 8.9L/100km - but looks to rise if I go through more city traffic.

Anyway, going for a highway drive after resetting ECU and Trip meter seems to work quite well.

Next Step
=======
1. Add 'Nulon' Petrol cleaner to next tank of petrol
2. Get my fuel injectors ultrasonically cleaned, get throttle body cleaned

I'll update everyone if this improves fuel consumption even more, as it is - in my opinion, taking up 1 litre per 100km more than required
Old 30-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #42
steambao
Starter Motor

Just an update,

After pulling out the resonator and stock airbox and replacing it with a K&N apollo, I now get 8.9 to 9.5 litres per 100km in Urban driving depending on how hot it is or how much I push the car.

These figures seem more like everyone elses above. Guess the original problem was to do with my stockairbox/engine rebreather line being clogged or simply ineffecient!