Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #31
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Default Re: 4x4 Australia Ute of the year: Amarok!

I wonder how many of you bashing the Amarok have driven it over a great distance? I have, in fact, when they first came out, i had the pleasure of driving it over a 1000km trek. I have to say, it was the most comfortable 4x4 dual cab ive ever driven over sustained period of time. As for the Horsepower, learn to drive it and it will never be lacking, proven by me getting a speeding ticket overtaking near Yea..oooppps. Honestly, the Hilux and Navara are just pretenders in this game now, the only two that are worth a look are the Amarok and Ranger. The Ranger is good, but even a Ford Engineer who i Know (and shell remain nameless) explained to me the Ranger is simply left behind next to the Amarok on and off road.

btw, check out the rear leaf springs on the Amarok compared to the rest, they are much thicker and also have far more room to travel than the competitors.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Judging by the VW in your username i'll guess you work for VW?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #33
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_060606
I wonder how many of you bashing the Amarok have driven it over a great distance? I have, in fact, when they first came out, i had the pleasure of driving it over a 1000km trek. I have to say, it was the most comfortable 4x4 dual cab ive ever driven over sustained period of time. As for the Horsepower, learn to drive it and it will never be lacking, proven by me getting a speeding ticket overtaking near Yea..oooppps. Honestly, the Hilux and Navara are just pretenders in this game now, the only two that are worth a look are the Amarok and Ranger. The Ranger is good, but even a Ford Engineer who i Know (and shell remain nameless) explained to me the Ranger is simply left behind next to the Amarok on and off road.

btw, check out the rear leaf springs on the Amarok compared to the rest, they are much thicker and also have far more room to travel than the competitors.
no ones saying the vw is bad..not one little bit...but the ranger was voted the best comfortably in more than a couple early comparos and then all of a sudden this mob say the vw. Wierd. Oh and i learned yesterday you have to opt the higher end models to even get lowrange with the vw...what the
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #34
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
no ones saying the vw is bad..not one little bit...but the ranger was voted the best comfortably in more than a couple early comparos and then all of a sudden this mob say the vw. Wierd. Oh and i learned yesterday you have to opt the higher end models to even get lowrange with the vw...what the
Bzzt, wrong. The Ultimate is the only one that can be optioned with the Constant 4wd or the Dual Range Part Time 4wd.

The lower models are all RWD or the Dual Range Part Time

Links to these comparos where the Ranger was voted the best?

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #35
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Nope, dont work for VW, but know the product well. 4Motion is on all of them bar the base model, and yes, low range can be selected on all of the 4Motions.

Should Clarify, I use to work for VW, I use to Own a VW GTI that was made on the 06/06/06, hence the name.

Last edited by SS_01; 04-01-2012 at 12:29 AM.
SS_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #36
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Bzzt, wrong. The Ultimate is the only one that can be optioned with the Constant 4wd or the Dual Range Part Time 4wd.

The lower models are all RWD or the Dual Range Part Time

Links to these comparos where the Ranger was voted the best?

Wrong, you can select between RWD, 4WD, and 4WD Low range on all models bar the base 4x2
Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #37
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just cant see a vw ute that is as reliable and tough as the falcons, highluxes, tritons and navara's.

It would make for a awesome street ute though.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #38
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
I just cant see a vw ute that is as reliable and tough as the falcons, highluxes, tritons and navara's.

It would make for a awesome street ute though.
Fair call, time will tell, but right at this minute, there isn't a competitor in the market place for this truck. Don't get me wrong, I love the power of the new ranger, but amarok is well set up for every occassion. One review I read, passed judgement on the jacked up hiluxs they had as rescue vehicles incase the amarok got into trouble because the amarok had to tow one of them out of trouble. should try and find that article again, was a good read.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #39
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you actually driven one though? I have not so i cant really pass judgement.

I wonder how these ameroks will be in 10-20 years time and how they will hold up against the test of time... Will be interesting.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #40
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
Have you actually driven one though? I have not so i cant really pass judgement.

I wonder how these ameroks will be in 10-20 years time and how they will hold up against the test of time... Will be interesting.
read his post at the top of the page...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #41
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Ranger is good, but even a Ford Engineer who i Know (and shell remain nameless) explained to me the Ranger is simply left behind next to the Amarok on and off road.
That's interesting, the Ford Engineer I know who is involved in the Ranger development said that he considered the Amarok to be a good vehicle but it just wont stand up to the bashing that a Ranger will.

He quoted the front end protection on the vehicles as an example, the Ranger has a fairly hefty bash plate that has been designed to take heavy impacts and protect the radiator and engine front. The Amarok has a grill system which only works when it impacts against larger or flat objects.
Anything with a point will just push the grill bars apart or bend an individual bar to the point that the stuff that is supposed to be protected, isn't anymore.

He also said that the Amarok just doesn't cut it as a tow vehicle as that little engine is working its heart out with a load. This has been born out by a few comparisons that actually compare the vehicles in their environment, loaded, towing, highspeed and accelleration, not just a drive around the block and cursory look over of the vehicle.

Now for the record I have a Wildtrak on order, but I can tell you all I have shopped it against the Amarok and I do like the look of them. The things that convinced me on the Wildtrak was the Amarok's small engine, the very poor packaging inside the cabin, (yes it's wide but rear leg room isn't much better than my current PJ Ranger and the the gap between the door pillar and the seat base is just as poor; there is also not much in the way of storage space either), and finally, the price. I get a pretty good ford fleet discount and the Amarok was significantly more expensive and still missed things that the Wildtrak had.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #42
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wrong, you can select between RWD, 4WD, and 4WD Low range on all models bar the base 4x2

Well, then the VW Amarok brochure in front of me is wrong then...

Selectable 4Motion is Standard on all models apart from RWD.

Permanent 4Motion is Optional on 'Ultimate' only.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post