Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
CarBroker
Banned

Default U think VIC Gov't is bad? 1984 has arrived!

Check it out: "the most pervasive surveillance systems on earth"

Quote:
A "24x7 national vehicle movement database" that logs everything on the UK's roads and retains the data for at least two years is now being built
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...ment_database/

All they have to do is add facial recognition software, and it's virtually like 1984. Time to drape a towel (or something) around your head (and your car?) when you're driving.

Scary.....

CarBroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Bloody POHMs!
Old 16-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Bloody POHMs!
Its POM (Prisoner of Mother (England))

This was always going to be the case, with technology going as far as it is, this is the next step. I am not condoning this, however think about it this way - you can find if your car has been stolen, and if so, where the car is. Facial recognition can be linked to the owner(s) of the car, and if somebody un-authorized to drive the car is seen driving it, alarm bells will go off, and alert police.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nsw already has a similar system that tracks heavy vehicles, dont know how long they retain the data for though, would be pretty easy to expand it to cover all vehicles. Although the limiting factor would be the placement of enough cameras to make it viable outside metropolitan areas.
Regards,
Tote
Old 16-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

God.. damn.. that's SCARY.

It's only a matter of time I guess.

Better continue planning my move to Fiji ;)
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
Electric
F6 and AU Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by senifx
God.. damn.. that's SCARY.

It's only a matter of time I guess.

Better continue planning my move to Fiji ;)
I remember I went to Fiji for work a few years ago and my taxi driver was ****ed because he had been caught by a police radar trap earlier in the day.

He had to 'give' the cop a carton of fiji bitter to get off....

He was ****ed couse he found out another taxi drive had been caught going even faster but was let of with only a six pack...
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 11:53 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

You think this isn't coming to OZ?

But it's either this or stop and search everyone at train stations etc.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 12:09 AM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
Its POM (Prisoner of Mother (England))
Actually it is POHM which is an acronym for Prisoner of His/Her Majesty.

It comes from the original paperwork of the convicts and military settlers.
e.g.

Bill Blogs RM (Royal Marine)
John Doe RN (Royal Navy)
Fred Nerk POHM (pommy bastard convict)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 08:27 AM   #9
CarBroker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Actually it is POHM which is an acronym for Prisoner of His/Her Majesty.

It comes from the original paperwork of the convicts and military settlers.
That's an urban legend. Check for yourself
here.

Quote:
The best guess at this time is that "pommy" was based on the word "pomegranate" -- either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because (like "Johnny Grant") it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant."
Old 17-11-2005, 08:32 AM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Wow this thread is OT.

I knew it as POHM. Then later POM. Like everything, things change! Still English!!

I hope Bracks does listen to the UK.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 08:47 AM   #11
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Its like out of a movie, this setup....scary big brother is every where..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #12
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBroker
All they have to do is add facial recognition software, and it's virtually like 1984. Time to drape a towel (or something) around your head (and your car?) when you're driving.

Scary.....
That IS scary indeed! And the funny thing is, if you did drape a towel or anything else over your head, rather then achieve the desired effect, no doubt you'd find yourself in much more trouble, if only because they'd be ****ed that you tried to get around the facial recognition system and therefore must have something to hide...

Seeing as this was posted on the register (home of the BOFH) I hope it's not for real, anyone got any links to the same story on a different site for verification?
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
That IS scary indeed! And the funny thing is, if you did drape a towel or anything else over your head, rather then achieve the desired effect, no doubt you'd find yourself in much more trouble, .......................
Yes. They may assume your a terrorist :ticking:
Old 17-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #14
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
Nsw already has a similar system that tracks heavy vehicles, dont know how long they retain the data for though, would be pretty easy to expand it to cover all vehicles. Although the limiting factor would be the placement of enough cameras to make it viable outside metropolitan areas.
Regards,
Tote

TOTE would be referring to the NSW Safe T Cam system, also recently adopted by South Australia.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #15
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

None of this surprises me (except for the pom thing, I never knew that!). They have had the technology to do this for a while now and have tested it.

At this stage its not technology I fear, its the minds that are using it.

Think of it this way. At the moment, your bank card, medicare card, drivers liscense, tax file number, video card, phone etc etc are all seperate systems.

In the next 10 or 20 years I expect them to all be in one database per person. Add the voice and face recognition software to that and, well, you will never be free again.
Old 17-11-2005, 03:18 PM   #16
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
None of this surprises me (except for the pom thing, I never knew that!). They have had the technology to do this for a while now and have tested it.

At this stage its not technology I fear, its the minds that are using it.

Think of it this way. At the moment, your bank card, medicare card, drivers liscense, tax file number, video card, phone etc etc are all seperate systems.

In the next 10 or 20 years I expect them to all be in one database per person. Add the voice and face recognition software to that and, well, you will never be free again.
It's time to buy that matt-black XB coupe and hit the highway before the man gets control, I suppose...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #17
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Actually, this reminds me of that thing I saw on that forensic investigators. They confirmed a suspect by locating him through his mobile phone records. They traced calls he made as he drove down the highway and found he was in the right place at the time of the incident. I suppose it is all that sort of stuff working together. And, as for the link to the site explaining why it is pommy, not pohm, i disagree and think that is a poor argument on the part of the writer of that website. It seems more likely to me that someone would be called a prisoner of his majesty, rather than a pommegranite. Why would you name someone after a red fruit becuase they are incredibly white? Also, who suggested that pommegranite rhymed with imigrant?
Old 17-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #18
CarBroker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
Yes. They may assume your a terrorist :ticking:
Exactly my point. Only muslim women would be unidentifiable. (Yes, of course I realise that the vast, vast, vast majority of muslims are not terrorists)

Quote:
as for the link to the site explaining why it is pommy, not pohm, i disagree and think that is a poor argument on the part of the writer
The website in question does state it's a "best guess at this time". I think we will never ever know for sure. BUT I do believe (as they say) that the words "Prisoner of Her Majesty" never appeared on any documentation because it would be easy to check.