Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: have you drivn an unroadworthy car for more than a week
NO, I allways fix things as they become unroadworthy 39 29.55%
Yes, i like the car too Low or exessively modded 39 29.55%
Yes, only because i could not afford to fix probs sooner 36 27.27%
Yes, i dont give a stuff, its only a bomb and not worth repairing 18 13.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2005, 07:46 PM   #61
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Whats the go with stone chips in the windscreen, as really tiny ones, are you classed as being unroadworthy for them?? Im talking about ones that are like a stone chip in paint, theres no cracks etc just a little chip in the screen?
If there small enough and not in the way of a drivers eyesight than they can be repaired and the car is still roadworth.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #62
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I remember as a young bloke with buggar all bucks, & driving a 429 BB Cusso, my rear brakes started grinding. Metal to metal .. Oh NOOO!
Answer... Remove brakeshoes & plug brake lines. I drove like that for about 3 weeks until I had enough for changeover brakeshoes.
(the things we do when young & silly)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 07:59 PM   #63
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I cant believe I was getting grief for my AU turbo on this forum. It is a pinnacle of roadworthy mechanakin' compared to some of these.
Many NSW cars on the road are "technically" unroadworthy. If you have an after market cam, intake mods, exhaust mods, almost anything that affects stock levels of power YOU ARE UNROADWORTHY unless it has been engineered.
I know people wont want to hear this, but thats the way it is.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #64
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hate rego

that is all :(
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #65
Danny
GT4.

My ole falc I drove for a month or so without one headlight and an XR car bra on a non XR front so it made the headlights light up even less and i had to have the high beams on all the time. Then the other low beam went, and forced me to get new headdies.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 11:10 PM   #66
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I remember in the XD I complained to my father that the steering was starting to shake really badly, and he looked at my tyres and saw that they were pretty close to blowing out, but he said we could wait a few months until it was due for rego.
So I kept driving it for about a week until the off-side front tyre did blow out on the way home from work. (Belt separation)

Got new tyres the next day.

Also drove it unregistered for a day, but we have Trade plates, and they were on the car at the time.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #67
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just noticed that one of my tyres is waay past its expiry date. Ill get a new one tommorow. So spose that's technically unroadworthy.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #68
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
I remember as a young bloke with buggar all bucks, & driving a 429 BB Cusso, my rear brakes started grinding. Metal to metal .. Oh NOOO!
Answer... Remove brakeshoes & plug brake lines. I drove like that for about 3 weeks until I had enough for changeover brakeshoes.
(the things we do when young & silly)
Yup - I've been there. Didn't actually remove the rear brakes though... just hoped that eventually what was left of the backing-plate and what was left of the rotor would eventually wear down enough to fall out and stop making that noise...

This was going along fine until 347stroker saw it and wouldn't let me leave his place until it was fixed...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #69
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

yep too low, too loud,wheels to wide.nothing i consider dangerous to other road users though....aaah perhaps the driver..
Old 11-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #70
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad handed me his old zl fairlane. We had it up for sale so i just drove it till we sold the thing and had it as my training car. Both tail lights were broken from being hit. A massive crack on the front windscreen. Front left door didn't open properly. you had to push the door in when lifting the handle. The reason was that my mum holds onto the door because of her buggered leg putting all her weight on it. Can't remember the rest. Too much to list. But i regret getting rid of it. I wanted to restore it and never had time to touch it :.

Bill
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #71
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

About a year ago a small rock hit my windscreen, no biggie, just a little crack... It stayed like that for a while, then one morning after a particularly cold night, I came out and that crack now was along pretty much the whole windscreen. Still didn't fix it for a couple of weeks.
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #72
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

Last edited by FPVWEPN; 12-11-2005 at 10:10 PM. Reason: accidently logged in as my mate(remember me feature)
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #73
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just changed the rims on my car. I knew I was up for tyres. Wasn't till we removed the wheels today that I saw just how bad the rubber on the front was. I'd say I've been driving around on unroadworthy tyres for a month or 2. Not intentional, just an oversight on my side. I should have actually checked the inside wear markers of the tyre for wear instead of the outside markers.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 10:32 PM   #74
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

I have... and for well over a year.

Back when I had a TE Cortina, it was considered too low (25mm too low at the muffler) and was canaried. So before the Cortina was canaried, I was apparently driving a unroadworthy vehicle... for well over a year. Pfft.. changed rear springs, cleared with RWC, put rear springs back in.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #75
dvk
running from explosions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
$460 for driving unregistered and $460 for driving uninsured.
That's actually not *nearly* as bad punishment as I thought would be for that offence. Considering, that rego and CTP is, what, 650 or so...

I guess the fine is not the biggest risk. It is johnny riding his treddly into your bullbar and you paying off his family for the rest of you your life... That's enough to scare me out of trying something like that...

As for unroadworthyness, my falcon's horn and cruise are stuffed (same problem, student, cant affort to fix, wah, wah, etc), and all the tires are down past the indicators. But the tyres sucked before they got worn anyway. Got another 30 000 left in em yet! If anyone buy me drove the car, I would have these things fixed. But with just me behind the wheel, not fixing these problems seem somehow justified.
dvk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #76
Falcon Freak
Banned

I drove my BA XT with rear tyres which were almost bald. The Ford dealer wanted to change the rear tyres at the 19,000km mark. I kept driving on them until I had them changed at the 30,000km service. They were so bad that in the wet it was wheelspin and sideways action at the slightest prod of the accelerator. I drove very slowly in the corners as it felt like the car wanted to swap ends in the wet.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #77
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
I drove my BA XT with rear tyres which were almost bald. The Ford dealer wanted to change the rear tyres at the 19,000km mark. I kept driving on them until I had them changed at the 30,000km service. They were so bad that in the wet it was wheelspin and sideways action at the slightest prod of the accelerator. I drove very slowly in the corners as it felt like the car wanted to swap ends in the wet.

FF
thats very...um.... unclever...

you should never let a car get so unroadworthy that it becomes unsafe to drive...

i ALWAYS make sure to have good tyres and brakes..... hell a couple of seccond hand tyres would have got you out of strife there....at what, a cost of $100??

very dangerous and stupid to drive a car in that state of disrepair

you do realise that in the event of an accident your insurance would have been void??
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post