Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2005, 01:55 PM   #31
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Quote:
It's so tiring hearing crap like this. It's not just about speed. It's about refinement, handling, comfort, chassis strength, balance, engineering, reliability, style, exclusivity... Sheesh, "you could buy an EA and pour $40k into it and have a Ferrari beater......"
I think your last two points hit the nail on the head. Style and exclusivity. The, `Look at me everyone, I'm driving a refined European sportscar, much more expensive and better than yours'-feeling. Any differing reliability or `accuracy' in engineering is offset by the exorbitant prices charged for both the vehicle and any replacement parts needed, whether due to mechanical wear or human error. I'd be quite happy with a local (ie Ford) or even Japanese vehicle with less social exclusivity and grandeur, but with 1/10th the cost of ownership, and exhibits similar performance characteristics.

I can appreciate the car for what it is- a premium car, but I think if a car costs far more than it should, it's less a car and more an investment or `chain around your neck'.
Despite my short rant though, I like BMWs. If I was in Europe, I'd probably buy one
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #32
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

it's all about living (spending) within your means, every car has it's merits and flaws but if you could afford a lambo, don't tell me you'd settle for a GTR (- or a twin turboed GT Falcon to make the arguement relevant to these forums.) Although I would prefer the Ford over the Nissan anyday!
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #33
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
well thats nice, but I still dont agree with them. It may aswell be a full auto, its such a waste of a good car, especially a new GTi
I've been driving a manual for years, but only because it allows you a greater level of control over what the engine is doing. Other than that, I find having to row the gearbox a chore. Paddle-shift minimises what I have to do while letting me maintain the same amount of control over the engine - something an auto doesnt let you. For me, a DSG should hopefully one day replace manual boxes altogether ;)
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #34
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggoggs
I can appreciate the car for what it is- a premium car, but I think if a car costs far more than it should, it's less a car and more an investment or `chain around your neck'.
Despite my short rant though, I like BMWs. If I was in Europe, I'd probably buy one
Early 3.0 5 speeds are for sale in the mid 30's and the later 6 speed 3.2 Evo's are low 40's.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 08:41 PM   #35
MX837M-GE
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
I dont agree. Which is why I'm test driving a VW GTi with the DSG gearbox this weekend. :o
Awesome car.

Delivery in about 2583 if you order within the next 30 seconds.
MX837M-GE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #36
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
well thats nice, but I still dont agree with them. It may aswell be a full auto, its such a waste of a good car, especially a new GTi
Dont underestimate DSG. From what i have read, it is a full manual gearbox with an automatically operated mechanical clutch (no torque converters here).

There was a BMI vid where they compared the DSG and conventional manual versions of the Golf GTi. The DSG version was consistently 2-3 tenths quicker in straight-line acceleration...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 10:26 PM   #37
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Dont underestimate DSG. From what i have read, it is a full manual gearbox with an automatically operated mechanical clutch (no torque converters here).
I placed an order for a GTi (in red, with leather) today. Test drive won me within the first 5min.

The 2.0 turbo pulls like a train, no dead spots, no lag, very linear power delivery and not the least bit peaky.

The DSG gearbox is brilliant... The gear changes are almost instantaneous - no loss of acceleration between gears. Smooth too, not jerky. Downchanges are smooth too - I think it blips the throttle automatically. Rolling acceleration is excellent, especially when you factor in how much quicker it is to simply paddle down-shift a couple of gears rather than have to use a stick.

Comes with everything. 6 airbags, alarm, traction/stability control, dual zone air con, automatic dimming and heated rear mirror, cruise control, 10 speaker stereo with 6-cd changer, trip computer, brake pad wear indicator, chillable glove box and centre console, power windows front/rear... the list goes on. And the leather seats are heated up front!

Now I just have to wait til it's delivered..... June :(

Oh yes, and it's smooth too unlike my BA - no clunks, vibrations, or other drivetrain annoyances ;) Can't wait.
Old 20-11-2005, 02:57 AM   #38
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The DSG gearbox is a nice box ... until it decides to pack it in. Like it did to one of the guys at work ... it decided it would select N ... not nothing else ... he was halfway to Brisbane from Sydney.

Due to an electronics glitch ... and is a common problem ... you get stranded ... and if out of warranty ... a few thousand dollars worth of replacement gearbox ... cos that's all BMW did ... swap the box out (also took 3 weeks to get one in the country as well).

But I do admit ... the BMs are a sweet car ... have driven the new Z4 and hell it's a beautiful vehicle ... as the motto goes "Sheer Driving Pleasure". Top cruising car that can be pushed quickly ad nimbly through tight mountain roads. It's a totally different vehicle compared to what Australia as to offer (even though my Territory is very smooth and fun to drive for what it is) ... it's a totally different class altogether.

I'd love to own and M3 ... if not ... I'd settle for a 330i
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 03:15 PM   #39
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
The DSG gearbox is a nice box ... until it decides to pack it in. Like it did to one of the guys at work ... it decided it would select N ... not nothing else ... he was halfway to Brisbane from Sydney.

Due to an electronics glitch ... and is a common problem ... you get stranded ... and if out of warranty ... a few thousand dollars worth of replacement gearbox ... cos that's all BMW did ... swap the box out (also took 3 weeks to get one in the country as well).
Are you talking DSG or SMG? Completely different boxes (SMG in BM, DSG in Audi/VW). I've heard nothing bad about the GTi/DSG.
Old 20-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #40
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sorry I meant the SMG box .. mind you I was posting at 3am in the morning while at work ... my brain was in another place.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post