Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Default Stupid freakin' cracked block!

Okay, so taking the heads off my 351 Clevo has revealed slightly more cancer than I believe it had when it rolled out of the factory 27 or so years back. This wouldn't bother me quite so much if I had not have found two pinholes coming through the cylinder wall.

I'm now unsure of what to do with it. Do I scrap it? Do I try to sell it? Do I dig a hole and bury it?

Before I decide which of the above three will be the quickest and least painful (okay, so we can forget digging a hole), I want to see what else I can do with it.

It's cleaned up alright on the outside with a bit of degreaser and a quick squirt of the hose, so I reckon if I gave it a real good scrub and maybe painted it, what are some of the ideas you lot have out there?

I've though about finding a heap of speakers to fill each cylinder and running wiring through the block to a cd player and setting it up in my garage just for a different approach to the speaker tower look. I've also seen a few under a sheet of glass for a coffee table, which can look good, but I have no interest in spending any money on it due to the slap in the face it gave me last night when I tore it down. At the minute, I really like the idea of turning it into a ship anchor, but I'd have to find a cheap boat first.

Just to stir up a bit of creativity (yes, I'm quite aware of how dangerous that can be around here, but it's still fun to watch), what else can be done to create a bit of a centerpiece from my rat-eaten block?

A paperweight, just incase my collection of stickbooks aren't quite oily enough already? Fill it with dirt and stick a tulip in it?

Go hog wild, but remember to throw in some description of how your idea might be put together rather than just saying "pez dispenser" and giving me no way in hell of working out how to make that happen.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
I've though about finding a heap of speakers to fill each cylinder and running wiring through the block to a cd player and setting it up in my garage just for a different approach to the speaker tower look. .
Sounds good but why not rest it on one end ( facing you ) and yes speakers down both sides and build in the cd player ( into the centre section ) maybe a small screen and DVD as well, if you could find the parts cheap enough.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Yeah, I planned to stand it on one end so it created the same effect as a speaker tower.

Cutting a cd player into the center section actually sounds like a fair idea. Just not sure how to go about that, but I'll try and nut it out.

That sounds better than my original thought of cutting a player into the sump. Atleast then it's still facing the same way as the speakers.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 09:35 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

lol a clevo speaker tower, I like that idea.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
parawolf
beep beep

Oh brillant idea....!
Old 21-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wine/beer rack, a few bottles of Grange in there & it'd be "the most expensive Clevo around". :the_finge
Old 22-11-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Sleve it..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #8
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Give it to any mates with a 4 cylinder for christmas.....he'll thank you in the long run.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 02:04 AM   #9
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Sleve it..

what he said.. and also that putty that turns hard as metal in 4mins.. that costs $11 a tube from repco.. that will patch up a crack/stop oil leaks..

tried and tested by me and a friend on his honda integra block..... bout 3 months ago and its still going.. no leaks.. we even drilled and tapped into it the hard metal like putty for an oil pressure sender unit lol

and ive got it smeared all over the top tank of my friends radiator that cracked and thats also not leaking and been like that for a while..

i always keep a tube handy for god knows what..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put the heads back on, a tin of chemi weld in the radiator, take out the offending sparkplug and run the engine till hot. Works a treat but I'd not be driving it acroos the Nullaboar )).
Regards,
Tote

PS I had an XC do excatly the same thing, 120 000 KM from new, some blocks have poor castings and as the block wears it exposes the casting flaw letting the coolant in.
Old 22-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
460cixy
burn out king

just sleve it and bring it back to life. use one of those winsor things for ya speaker stand
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 09:19 PM   #12
Sledgehammer
Banned

Donut making device
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post