Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #31
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: VW Golf GTD...

Can I ask how you went with three car seats in the back? Did you do the same to the Golf?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #32
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never saw much point in the GTD. Same engine, only a slight increase in power and torque, but $10k more expensive than a 103TDi. By the time you put a couple of options on the GTD and pay on roads etc it'll be $50k. Complete rip off, IMO. The GTi is the same. I almost bought a GTi last year. Test drove one, liked it, went to talk price and the $42,990 RRP with leather, wheels and Bi-Xenons, plus onroads etc came to $58k. I mean, huh??
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #33
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would consider new Mazda CX5 diesel which comes with 6 speed auto - quite nice..
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #34
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
I would consider new Mazda CX5 diesel which comes with 6 speed auto - quite nice..
Good call. The Mazda will have more equipment and probably work out cheaper, have a much better engine and gearbox.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #35
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Matty if this is to far off topic then sorry, but Im in the same boat as you when looking for another run about for the missus.

Is this Audi basically a Golf with a "better" badge?

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...5&sort=default

Also if your interested I cant seem to go past these pugs for value for money.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...rice:Min,Max~1

I like the styling and the specs are good, seems to be heaps of room and some have massive sunroofs too.

You can get 307 tourings for alot less aswell. Pug TDi's go for a long time when looked after from what I can tell.
This Audi only has the 1.9 TDI engine which although it goes well and is frugal on fuel it doesn't have anywhere near the grunt of the 2.0 Golf which in comparison for the standard TDI you're looking at 103 kw / 320 Nm and the GTD is 125kw / 350 Nm. Before anyone buys one of the new diesels it is important to realise that they need to be driven for reasonable distances at fairly regular intervals as well due to them being fitted with DPF's (diesel particulate filters). If the majority of your driving will be around town and short commutes then I would recommend going with the petrol variants, but if you are doing a lot of highway mileage then you can't go past the diesels for economy and torque. I owned a Golf GTD prior to buying my petrol Focus and although I miss the power and economy at times the petrol is the better option now for my type of driving.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #36
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Can I ask how you went with three car seats in the back? Did you do the same to the Golf?
My kids are 13, 10 & 8.............all well out of car seats and boosters
We will never use this car as a family of 5, it is purely for school runs and suburban driving, and when my wife needs a bigger car she can take mine and I'll take the Focus to work.

I do 100k a day to and from work with 50% of that at freeway speeds. Was well aware of DPF issues so a trip to work once a fortnight or so will clear it.
It's approx 10k's to my kids school also, so no issues there.

Last edited by Matty4; 22-03-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo's (dodgy keyboard)
Matty4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #37
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

One thing with the Mazdas ... to consider.
As I was considering one ... they use a new "enviro-friendly" wet on wet paint system.

Which means .... it's crap ... the first bird dropping (even if cleaned off immediately) ... ruins the paint. The clear is that soft that when machine polishing you have to be careful otherwise damage can be done to the clearcoat.

The Euro vehicle has a much better paint system and is much harder than our Ford as well. Better finish and durability.

The Mazda paint is not suited to our climate and conditions .. full stop.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #38
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

Did you consider a diesel Jetta? Our Jetta has a bigger boot than my falcon. My Jetta is a GTI in disguise. All the same running gear, engine and gearbox, except in a sedan body! Goes like stink and isn't that bad on the juice. Sitting on 117km/hr out on the freeway, I get about 7.2L/100km. That's pretty good considering the acceleration potential. The diesels are the same as in the Golfs. My Jetta is a 2006 model and I think the brand new ones are a touch smaller in the boot, but they are known for having a large boot if that is one of your requirements. Just food for thought.

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #39
Matty4
Banana

Well it's done.................
just put a deposit on a brand new Focus Titanium diesel with the Sport Exec pack (sunroof, HID's, adaptive cruise)
White was the colour of choice too...
Hopefully pick it up early next week.

Thanks to all who advised....

Pics will be uploaded when we get it.
./now just gotta detail and sell the Volvo, anyone want one??...hehe...
Old 23-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #40
GYRKIN GT

Well done Matty4. Look forward to the photos. Volvo? Uhmmm, no thanks
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #41
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Nice ... looking forward to seeing it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post