Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #61
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Videos: Ford straps engineers in 2013 Taurus SHO with Carl Edwards, hilarity ensues

Drop the Falcon in 2016, Ford Oz instead builds Mustangs for the RHD market.

A V6 Mustang for about $35k, V8s $40k+. FPV can also stay in business by doing their own.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #62
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Videos: Ford straps engineers in 2013 Taurus SHO with Carl Edwards, hilarity ensues

Not sure on that one.

The US would be pretty keen to keep as many units coming out of American plants as possible. The main reason to go global on Mustang was to keep the build numbers up. Moving RHD units offshore might slip past them as its a pretty small slice, but they might feel that every bit counts. Its probably also the cheapest solution. They might feel that way so strongly that, in any given scenario for Falcon post 2016 that 1. Falcon survives 2. Local production ends, they may prefer to build it in the US than somewhere closer such as Thailand. Not many people talk about such a scenario though. It seems a given by most that Falcon is less secure than local production, not vice versa.

As for FPV, i dont see what work they could do for a locally produced Mustang other than assembly of an already developed SVT kit. They surely wouldnt waste the effort developing their own stuff with SVT holding more resources.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #63
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Drop the Falcon in 2016, Ford Oz instead builds Mustangs for the RHD market.

A V6 Mustang for about $35k, V8s $40k+. FPV can also stay in business by doing their own.
No thanks.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #64
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Maybe it's time to recap what was actually saaid by Joe Hinrics in January on the subject,
he says a lot and it's worthwhile reading the lot to take in just what Ford is thinking:

Quote:
Regional boss insists that Ford Australia’s manufacturing future is not yet decided

9 January 2012

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS in DELHI

A SENIOR Ford executive has admitted that the future of the company’s manufacturing operations in Australia is not confirmed beyond the current model Falcon and Territory.

Ford Asia Pacific and Africa president Joe Hinrichs, whose region includes Ford Australia, revealed to GoAuto at the Delhi Auto Expo in India last week that a clear direction has yet to be fully determined.

It appears that Ford has delayed deciding what the Falcon replacement will be, as well as the future of manufacturing at Broadmeadows, amid a tumultuous 12 months of a skyrocketing currency, freefalling large-car sales, shifting consumer tastes, fragmenting vehicle segments and environmental catastrophes.

Mr Hinrichs told us that Ford is far from being alone in such decision-making processes.

He said the rapidly changing landscape over such a relatively short period of time means no firm anywhere in the world is now able to plan too far into the future without massive risk.

However, he expects recent and upcoming new model releases such as the Fiesta, Focus, Territory diesel, Ranger, Kuga and EcoSport will turn Ford Australia around, and also reiterated the vital role that Australia plays in the ‘One Ford’ strategy from a design and development point of view.

Ford is thought to be investigating at least three likely Falcon replacement scenarios – manufacturing the next Taurus (due in about 2016) in Australia for local and export consumption, importing the next Taurus and switching the Broadmeadows vehicle line to another model, or ceasing local production completely (but not local engineering).

“We haven’t said anything about D/E vehicle platforms globally,” said Mr Hinrichs.

“We’ve got Mustang, we’ve got Falcon and we’ve got Taurus, but we have time for it to evolve and see we’re we are going to go with that.

“We are moving to global platforms and global scales, but part of our challenge is that we have a business plan in cycle. And we don’t really ever have good/bad/indifferent talks about the business plan. We don’t go in and say ‘Plant X is going to stay open for the next 15 years’ because we don’t know what will be 15 years from now.

“Trust me, I understand the interest in the future of Falcon and Broadmeadows. Believe me, I do.

“At the same time, we don’t talk about any of our manufacturing plans beyond a certain time frame, so you guys might draw certain conclusions right or wrong.

“That’s why we get so anxious sometimes because we’re saying ‘we’re putting EcoBoost in Falcon, we’re putting LPI into Falcon, we’re putting diesel into Territory’, and we’re in that phase, but people are saying things (regarding Ford Australia’s) longer term (future) and drawing up conclusions.

“We’ve already said that if we do another platform, it won’t be unique to Australia – and we’ve said that repeatedly – but we’re not there yet.

“In the meantime, Broadmeadows production has dropped, which concerns us … but that doesn’t mean we come to a conclusion that is pre-determined to an outcome to the future of manufacturing. I don’t think we have made that decision yet.

“We plan for alternatives – we’re a business – but we’re still investing in the (current) Falcon and Territory.

“Do you go to a global rear-wheel-drive platform for large cars? That’s a decision that needs to be made.

“The Falcon name, large car segment, rear-wheel drive versus other alternatives, global platform, manufacturing – all these things are related, but they’re also part of the decision-making process.

“The choice we’ve made in the near-term is to continue to invest in Falcon and Territory and continue to make that business equation work – and it does today.

“Tomorrow we start planning for the future. We have started studying plans and alternatives for the future, as we’re expected to be, and there are different scenarios and different options.

“We’re also seeing the large-car market in the US decline … so there’s a lot to this.

“We’re not going to tell you now, but there will be the right time to say it whenever that is, and at the same time it is a lot more complicated.

“We’ve said we’re doing global platforms on B, C and D, but that implies we’re not going to do global platforms on D/E. I won’t give you the answer to that, but there are two alternatives.

Quote:
“(Ford CEO Alan Mulally said) ‘if or when we do another large car it will be on a global platform’, but we have Mustang that today is on its own platform and it’s a very important car in our portfolio. That’s why it’s complicated.
“We have a strategy we’re trying to adhere to, but at the same time we’re trying to make business decisions.

“I’m sensitive to the issues and all the interest in it. There’s a lot of passion around Falcon in Australia – believe me, I get emails. I appreciate it. We love that.

“We’ll tell people of our plans when we’re ready to tell them … but it is fascinating to me that the people draw the conclusions that all these decisions have been made, when we’re sitting here asking the same thing.

“We’re playing it year by year, but at the same time we’re looking to where the business is going.

“One thing that’s changed lately is that the (large-car) segment has shrunk faster than we expected this time last year, and that’s a new dynamic we have to deal with. We weren’t expecting just 20,000 Falcons in 2011.

“Of course, the Australian market itself is a very important market for Ford and has been for a very long time. Especially now with the product portfolio we are putting in the Australian business, we have high expectations for our performance in the market there.

“There are three important components (to Ford Australia) – it’s a very important market, it’s a very important product development centre (one of the largest ones we have in the world) and of course very important is the manufacture of the Falcon and Territory.

“But the Australian (market) is changing … It’s expanding to include more smaller vehicles, as well as more fuel-efficient vehicles. Consumer needs and desires are converging around the world and that’s true for Australia as well.”

Mr Hinrichs championed the design and engineering facilities in Broadmeadows and Geelong, stating that the considerable investment Ford has undertaken over the last few years has created a world-class team in Australia.

“Part of the value (to Ford) are the facilities and test tracks in Geelong that already exist because land and facility investment is significant, so that experience base in Australia – though it is getting more expensive because of the appreciation of the Australian dollar – is very valuable to us.

“Our product development is growing full-bore globally because we have so much new product coming that we’re leveraging that experience that is critical to us … in Melbourne and Geelong.

“However, we’re also seeing significant growth in our engineering facilities in China. China is an 18 million unit market so it can obviously support a development centre on its own in conjunction with the rest of the world. Don’t underestimate how important all those facilities are to the Ford product portfolio.”

In reaction to rumours that Ford Australia is leading development of a large-car program for China, Mr Hinrichs said: “Within the region, Ford Australia’s development centre is very important … and is working on other products in conjunction with our engineering centre in Nanjing.”

Asked if the Australian government’s decision almost a year ago to phase out the Green Car Innovation Fund was a major setback affecting the decision on the future of the Broadmeadows and Geelong facilities, Mr Hinrichs said Ford has “a very good relationship” with the government.

“I can tell you in all sincerity that when we’ve brought Ford projects to discuss with the Australian government, we’ve had a receptive relationship and a good response.

“I value manufacturing, and so does Alan (Mulally). It is an important part of the economy. But at the same time we have to deal with the individual government policies and the competitiveness of markets.”
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #65
viper237

I can't see myself buying a Taurus ever..If the Falcon does get the axe I hope they bring the Mustang here at least. I wonder if FORD US had/have considered importing the Falcon I6T instead of releasing a new Taurus could've worked well...Mustang for two door V8, and Falcon for the bigger four door with turbo I6.
'05 BAII XR6T (Manual T56) Power-460whp/342.5rwkw, Torque-850nm, Boost 14psi - Crow Cam Valve Springs, Deka 60lb Injs, NGK Irridium plugs 0.8mm, XForce S/S Exhaust/4" Dump/3.5" cat/Quad 2.5" Tips, Rapid V3 IC kit, TS Kompact BOV, Rapid 3ltr Surge Tank w/Bosch 044 pump, Malwood Opt3+ Clutch, Short shift, Autometer SportComp gauges, Konig Kontact 18"x8.5"/9.5" Rims
viper237 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper237
I can't see myself buying a Taurus ever..If the Falcon does get the axe I hope they bring the Mustang here at least. I wonder if FORD US had/have considered importing the Falcon I6T instead of releasing a new Taurus could've worked well...Mustang for two door V8, and Falcon for the bigger four door with turbo I6.
Reading between the lines of the article i posted above, it sounds like Ford hasn't finalised plans like people are suggesting.
While a FWD/AWD Platform shared between Fusion-Mondeo-Taurus-Falcon may seem logical to some onlookers, there a fly
in the ointment - Mustang needs to remain a RWd sports coupe and therefore stays outside that product envelope.

If however, Falcon-Taurus-Mustang-Territory come under a global RWD/AWD platform/ strategy, then it could skew the scales
of economy back towards Taurus-Mustang in the USA and Falcon-Territory for Australia with design done once, done right
and various models sharing all the important parts.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #67
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I6 will never fly in the US. Theres no parts support and its no longer doing anything the V6 isnt.

That article is speculating RWD is not part of the post 2016 plan, despite no quote supporting that.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I6 will never fly in the US. Theres no parts support and its no longer doing anything the V6 isnt.
Who said the I-6 has to be part of the US plan?
Either FoA makes provision for it, or they use the V6 or skip the 6s altogether and just Use EB I-4 and V8 versions..

Quote:
That article is speculating RWD is not part of the post 2016 plan, despite no quote supporting that.
Exactly, they are drawing conclusions and making assumptions that decisions have already been made.

Food for thought, Hinrichs clearly says no decision has been made and also asks the question,
“Do you go to a global rear-wheel-drive platform for large cars? That’s a decision that needs to be made."

Quite clearly, the US is waiting for FoA (and China) to decide what they need with a big car before looking at how the
various business cases stack up....

Remember that the previously halted GRWD was to be a heavy evolution of E8 Falcon.....
Old 08-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #69
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just wish they make the mind up & get on with it. 2016 isn't getting any further away!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The longer this goes on for, the better for a local car...waiting for govt funding
possible for developing a global RWD would be a huge feather in FoA's cap...
Old 08-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #71
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Looks like a progression of the FG styling, and with a 365 hp (270kw) V6 turbo, and AWD, what a package. Of course, the lower powered, FWD model will be the base that most would buy.......
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #72
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Who said the I-6 has to be part of the US plan?
Either FoA makes provision for it, or they use the V6 or skip the 6s altogether and just Use EB I-4 and V8 versions..
viper237 asked about I6T going to America, that was my response. Preferably I'd go with the no 6 cylinder plan. Much better front end backaging with a shorter engine bay with a maximum of 4 cylinders forward and a low bonnet line with either a wide angle V8 or the I4 hanging the ancillaries off the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I just wish they make the mind up & get on with it. 2016 isn't getting any further away!!
They will need a few years if FOA takes on a large chunk of the responsibility. But if youre looking to combine Falcon, Taurus and a chinese large car together, there will likely be at least 2 distinct bodystyles, but you can spread everything around. Once you get Geelong, Detroit and Beijing working together they will get it done.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #73
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
viper237 asked about I6T going to America, that was my response. Preferably I'd go with the no 6 cylinder plan. Much better front end backaging with a shorter engine bay with a maximum of 4 cylinders forward and a low bonnet line with either a wide angle V8 or the I4 hanging the ancillaries off the side.
All good mate, didn't mean to come the heavy.

Quote:
They will need a few years if FOA takes on a large chunk of the responsibility. But if youre looking to combine Falcon, Taurus and a chinese large car together, there will likely be at least 2 distinct bodystyles, but you can spread everything around. Once you get Geelong, Detroit and Beijing working together they will get it done.
Interesting times ahead, even Ford is not sure which way to hop with this one,
that means the plan whatever it is will be thoroughly investigated and sound when delivered
and which ever car we get will be backed by Ford Motor who will bank roll development costs.
FoA wins regardless of what happens as costs get defrayed onto other regions leaving more
room for profit and regular updates paid for by assistance from other locations, that has to be good news.