Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
menil
fg pursuit

Default Re: A man needs a shed!!

As I have previously said on here I build sheds for a living. I have had a go at most but am almost to the stage where unless its a Ranbuild I wont take the job.There kits may be a little dearer but you get every thing you need and its all Australian steel.they are a reseller arangement so the service you get from one agent to the next will vary. While some companies may supply all parts needed their designs make them time consuming to build others use ****** steel and the purlins and sheets are all twisted and curved .So best do all your homework b4 buying also go as big as you can I do heaps of extensions
menil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #32
BIGTRAV

Have a look at trubuilt. I bought one in kit form (very easy to build yourself) about 8 years ago 20x30x10ft high for $2300 inc door,window and double rollers with removable centre piece back then and you can hang clevos with autos off roof beams no probs (very strong) but i also had to extend it too 38ftx30ft as i ran out of room
70 XY FAIRMONT, 6,AUTO. SOON TO BE V8.
05 BA FUTURA, 6 AUTO.
74 F100, 302.
95 CR 500 DIRTBIKE.
96 CR 500 DIRTBIKE.
78 PE 250 DIRTBIKE.
78 XL 250 DIRTBIKE.
BIGTRAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #33
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I'm in the process of setting up my shed. It's 5.2 x 9 x 2.4m. It's that size because it's fitting in the corner of the boundary fences and a retaining wall. 5.2m was as wide as I could go.

The shed I bought was from Shed Strong. Nowhere near the cheapest kit around, but I liked the fact that they had won Australian Design Awards for their design and the fact that the footings are embedded into the slab.....I live in a windy area and I didn't want my shed to fly away....!!!!

The shed cost me about $8.5k, that includes the 5m wide roller door, gutters. flashings, everything needed except the glass sliding door and window as I can purchase those cheaper locally (as advised by the shed reseller himself..!!!). That price also included delivery.

My slab is going to cost me about $6k, but because the slab will be hemmed in on three sides and I want a rebate, there is a lot of work needed to get the framework all set up. If it was a simple slab, I would hav just done it myself. Oh, and that price includes colouring of the concrete in a cream colour which is about $10 a square extra. I did that to match in with the shed itself and also to try and brighten up the inside.

My advice is to watch out for the hidden costs. On top of the shed and the transport thereof ($8.5k), the slab ($6k), you also have to cater for power (doing a lot myself, including digging the trench etc approx $0.5k), water (none for me this time), any buidling approvals needed (approx $1k), approval to build over easemeents (approx $0.5k), plus owner/builder registration (just under $1k). I thought I had to get approval from the local water authority to build over the easement so I had that processed (and they took my money) but then found out that I didn't need that as it was a council approval I needed.

As for owner/builder, in Vic if your total construction cost (including any labour that you supply) is over $12k then you must be a owner/builder unless you employ a registered building practioner to undertake the work. In our area, their are no shed erectors that are registered, so essentially you need to become an owner/builder.

So the total cost of my shed (as I currently have it planned) is around the $18k mark. All for a shed that cost $8.5k! It soon adds up.

I started out this project nearly two years ago, and I currently have the shed sitting in pack form on my back lawn and the slab will go down in the next couple of weeks, weather permitting. So it is a long, time consuming process. Also be aware of that!

If anyone wants any more info of what I have gone through, just sing out.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #34
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

for me its a L 18.5m x W 9m x H 3.5m divided into 5 bays with four W 3.1m x H 3m doors on the front wall and one on the back wall. had the flooring done for a 6m x18m awning to go on both the front and rear. just need to save a few more $$ for the awning kits. Ranbuild kit.
shop around, when i bought mine there was $4000 difference between the 2 nearest ranbuild shops for the identical kit ?

as others have said 6 metres is only just going to fit for a falcon. you will nearly need the roller door open to be able to walk around the car. try to get 7. 5 or 8 metres deep if you can. i would also be looking at 3metres or more in hight incase you ever want to park a 4x4 or caravan in there.

see your council first of all to find out what you can and cant put on your block. will save you a lot of time getting quotes if you know straight up what you can build.
look for a kit that has the stirrups that hold the shed post set into the concrete. some sheds are just dyna bolted onto a flat slab. = big wind, bye bye shed.

if you are a bit of a handy man you should be able to erect it yourself . a shed that size would be pretty easy. my brother and i put mine up by ourselves and it is a big shed. the extra hight of mine made the job harder . i ired a sissor lift for a few days.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post