Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Keyless Entry

Without hijacking another thread, can some one tell me if you have a keyless entry vehicle and your car is unlocked and you are somewhere near by, can somebody else hop in, start the car and drive away?

Is this what Clarkson did to Hammond in the US with his Challenger? Or was that completely staged rubbish?

It seems to me that if it is true then it won't be long before someone loses a car with a full tank and possibly even a baby on board as well at a servo. I always lock up when I pay but I don't while I am filling up so it would not take much for some desperate to jump in and start the car while you are left stunned on the other side of the vehicle holding the nozzle, especially if you were a young mother or an elderly citizen.

My question is, with new technology coming on stream across the range, can this happen?

Bud Bud

Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
IWANTANF6

Default Re: Keyless Entry

I have a car with keyless entry and start. If I am more then a meter away, the car would not unlock so they pretty safe.
Old 31-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
IWANTANF6

Also, once you walk away from the car , It locks it self.
The only problem I encountered is forgetting the keypad in the door pocket and walking away only to return to my car ready to be stolen..
Old 31-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTANF6
I have a car with keyless entry and start. If I am more then a meter away, the car would not unlock so they pretty safe.
Cheers for that, would your car still start while you were standing next to it while you were filling up?

Bud Bud
Old 31-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Cheers for that, would your car still start while you were standing next to it while you were filling up?

Bud Bud
I believe you have to be inside the car to press the start button for the engine to start, so there's no chance of that happening when you're filling up.

I wonder, though, if the car automatically locks when the driver walks away, will it stay unlocked when one is filling up their car?
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keyless entry only unlocks the car. This does not have anything to do with starting the car, unless the chip is on the same part as the keyless entry buttons.

The question I am thinking you are asking, if the car has an imobliser and you do not have the key near the ignition, can a person start the car without this?

The key with the chip, or the chip needs to be next to the ignition to start.

But there is people who can steal a car even with an imobliser.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
I believe you have to be inside the car to press the start button for the engine to start, so there's no chance of that happening when you're filling up.

I wonder, though, if the car automatically locks when the driver walks away, will it stay unlocked when one is filling up their car?
<for keyless entry and keyless starts> Depends on the make of the car, sometimes it's the start button + another button (or gas pedal) to start the engine. Other times it's just the start button with the keyless remote nearby.

What about those who get remote starters installed and start up their cars before they get there? I've seen people use their remote starters, unlock their cars, and remotely pop open their trunk (aka boot) to load up their shopping bags or strollers. Seems this is an easy steal.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN
Other times it's just the start button with the keyless remote nearby.
That is the question, if you are standing next to your car filling it up (or other), and your keyless remote car is unlocked and has a starter button, can somebody else just jump in and push that starter button while you are standing on the other side of the car with the remote in your pocket?

At this stage it seems to be yes. Provided that the keyless remote is within range, then someone else can start your car.

Edit: just thought, if the car can be started like that then does that mean that once the car is out of range from the keyless remote, the engine then cuts out? If that is the case then that is resonable security measure.

Bud Bud

Last edited by Bud Bud; 31-05-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 31-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
IWANTANF6

Quote:

Bud Bud
I have not yet tried it.I am not going to ask someone to start the car while I am fueling.

My car , renault rs250 tro, has a keyless entry and start.
If the car is running, I can walk away with the keypad and the car will keep running but will not be able to shut it down if it does not detect the key.
Many times I stop for petrol, close the door and by the time I reach the fuel door the car already locked itself. The fuel door is on the driver side, so I doubt it will start since the key is not within proximity.
Old 31-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
geehaa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got a mondeo with keyless entry/start.
  • Passenger door will not open even though I am standing on the drivers side with the key.
  • Car cannot be started unless it detects the key in (or very close to) the cabin but I have walked away from the car with the key and it kept on running
  • Haven't fully tested but the only time mine locks again is if I have used the remote to unlock and I do not open the door within a limited amount of time (maybe 30 or 45 seconds)

This may be different to other makes/models
geehaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, wait. I think I'm talking about something different here.

Keyless entry - unlocking the door without a key
Keyless start - turning on your engine without a key
Remote start - starting your engine even before you get close to your car to do a keyless entry.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

If going by original post , he's thinking keyless entry and start ,

My prado needs foot on brake and key inside car to start , doesn't lock auto unless unlocked and not opened ..same as above you can't unlock the opposite doors ( carjacking reasons I imagine) touch opening doors ( just open ) and touch lock ( sensor on top of handle) so no noone can start vehicle no matter how close ( even standing in door opening not far enough in , and car won't lock with second fob in car
Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
RASER
Banned

Quote:
My question is, with new technology coming on stream across the range, can this happen?

Bud Bud
Shreckie and that lot said there are millions of different codes so the remote only works with one matched vehicle.

Sounded good, and seemed fair and safe, BUT i was at the traffic lights a few weeks ago and wifey pointed out that the blondie [see not dumb] pushing the button to lock her Mazda3 and to see the lights flash, unfortunatly it flashed the lights on the Mazda3 on the other side of the road!!, blondie noticed this too and could not figure out what was happening.

Pretty sure that the keys would be different??, but who knows??, so she was able to open another Mazda3 and could have fleeced inside that car if she wanted.

Mazda "You should see us now"

In the early days Falcons use to self unlock in hot weather
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaa
Haven't fully tested but the only time mine locks again is if I have used the remote to unlock and I do not open the door within a limited amount of time (maybe 30 or 45 seconds)
My BF does that, so it's nothing new.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I have done before is had fob in my pocket. Left engine running and had another work mate get in the car and drive off. Apparently half way back the car realized there was no fob and started beeping.
Apparently they got back, but they couldn't lock it or restart it until I got the fob back to them.
I hate them
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTANF6
I have not yet tried it.I am not going to ask someone to start the car while I am fueling.
You dont have to, you can do it anywhere so long as the position of you and the key is right. Your own driveway would suffice.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
IWANTANF6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
You dont have to, you can do it anywhere so long as the position of you and the key is right. Your own driveway would suffice.

I tried last night. Shut down the car and pretended i was filling up petrol.
Asked someone to hope in the car and start it but the car would not start.
LCD on cluster asking for Keypad.