Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #61
Mr H

Default Re: Limited Edition G6 Falcon Ecoboost $37490 driveway price.

well, don't think of it as a mundane taxi, but for arguments sake, think of it as Australias answer to Germanys BMW, (yes I know the quality is different, but look at it from a niche market point of view) An equivalent size bimmer would probably be the 5 series. You can get all different size motors options, etc. Now think Australia, traditionally Australia only gets a choice of 2 motors, now ECOBOOST, ECOLPi, 6s, 8s, turbo (and talks of a diesel) are available for consumers. Wouldn't you think thats a step in the right direction? ECOBOOST, still rear wheel drive, seats 5 real adults and the FACT that its made in Australia should be points to consider. And don't forget about spare parts which are readily available and relatively cheap too. Kia Optimas are nice but cmon, G6 TURBO 4 banger with a bit of fruit for $36-$37k......thats good value in my books!!
Mr H is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #62
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

I wouldn't mention the Falcon and 5 Series in the same sentence. Very, very different cars.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #63
Mr H

i never said they were they same, Im saying Fords adopting overseas ways of trying to capture audience from a broader spectrum and not limiting themselves to just 6s and 8s.......and in saying that Id still pick an $85k FPV over a $85k BMW anyway...
Old 31-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #64
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
I wouldn't mention the Falcon and 5 Series in the same sentence. Very, very different cars.
I would disagree with that!!

Funny enough I actully cross shopped an XR6T & 5 series, but ended up with XR6T becuase I thought it was better bang for the buck!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #65
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
The only real world test I've seen is in the lastest wheels or motor, can't remember which one. Other then that I haven't seen any other tests or owners telling us what they have been getting.
The June 2012 issue of Wheels has an Ecoboost G6E test. They take it for a Sydney to Melbourne cruise and it got 7.6L/100km on test. Wheels also had a G6E 4.0L with them and it got 8.6L/100km (but this was mentioned more as an aside than anything).

Note the XT has an official 8.1L/100km figure, then G6/G6E have 8.5L/100km as they miss out on the low rolling resistance tyres and some other low aero underbody work apparently.

Wheels massively rate the Ecoboost Falcon and wish it was here from the beginning of FG. They also bag the Commodores 'already torque deficient V6 and reduced capacity' at trying to be eco efficient but not. The turbo 4 pot Falcon surfing on a wave of low rev torque. The Commodore needs to harshly kick down to be still be slower.

The EcoBoost Falcon is a winner in their eyes, they wish Falcon sold more. I hope so too.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #66
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I would disagree with that!!

Funny enough I actully cross shopped an XR6T & 5 series, but ended up with XR6T becuase I thought it was better bang for the buck!!
If you're looking at a new 5 series and bang for your buck is one of your selection criteria, then I would suggest you cannot afford the car in the first place.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #67
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Yes, because people buying an XR6 go down the road to the BMW dealershp and test a car two and half times the price....

Seriously, next you'll say you shopped the XR6T against a 911 and 458..
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #68
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, because people buying an XR6 go down the road to the BMW dealershp and test a car two and half times the price....

Seriously, next you'll say you shopped the XR6T against a 911 and 458..
I dont get a stuff what you think!!! I crossed shopped an XR6T with a series 5.. Test drove both & costed both up. I finally went with an XR6T. It does happen, am PROVE fo that!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #69
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I had the $$$, it would be the 5 series..game over...
Old 01-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #70
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I dont get a stuff what you think!!! I crossed shopped an XR6T with a series 5.. Test drove both & costed both up. I finally went with an XR6T. It does happen, am PROVE fo that!!!
If you were serious about the 5 series to begin with, cost would not have been a factor. If you have $80k + options + on roads to spend on a car, value for money hardly comes into the equation.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #71
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
If you were serious about the 5 series to begin with, cost would not have been a factor. If you have $80k + options + on roads to spend on a car, value for money hardly comes into the equation.

I knew someone many years ago who crossed-shopped a Mitsubishi Verada XI with a 5 series. He ended up with the Verada as he couldnt see the value of spending 60% more on a car he thought was only 10% better. Nevermind he could probably afford a dozen BMWs.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #72
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I knew someone many years ago who crossed-shopped a Mitsubishi Verada XI with a 5 series. He ended up with the Verada as he couldnt see the value of spending 60% more on a car he thought was only 10% better. Nevermind he could probably afford a dozen BMWs.
Thankyou, this explains it much better than my posts.. This is what happened with me!!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #73
drpopper

Wife's old X5 .... $15k in service costs over 4 years ....
drpopper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #74
Mr H

Dollar for dollar ford still wins hands down!!! Take a brand new fpv gt-p around $80k brand new vs a brand new $80k bmw 520i.......im not talking about engine capacity or anything purely dollar value bang for buck but still within same auto class...who in there right mind would buy the bimmer??? Now if u compare a gtp equivalent which would be the m5, of course its a better car but is it going to be 90-100k better??? The argument here is finding the best value car for the money you can afford. With the way the economy is budget concious consumers cant afford to run a 6, do they look for an alternative ie optima/i45/camry/etc. how many times have you heard people say "but its a front wheel drive" now the alternative available is a falcon turbo 4, rear wheel drive, seats 5 adults.....so before people start bagging a 4cycl falcon, look around and see whats available and u will soon realise its a smart move.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #75
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I'm also fearful that the EB will cannibalize sales of the I6 instead of adding to them, as the EBs biggest competition isn't other 4 cyl Camrys/6s/Accords/Optimas or i45s but the six cylinder Falcon.
Its actually been the opposite, 6 cylinder builds have increased by 10 a day since Ecoboost was released. Ecoboost doesn't sell in high enough numbers to make a dent in 6 cylinder sales. Ford seriously need to get some 4 cylinder only fleet sales and soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
G6 LE is available in ecoboost and I6 petrol (no cost option for ecoboost) also available in LPI at a cost. Do you mean are they struggling with ecoboost or Falcon in general?
So they have dropped the price on all engine variants of the LE? I thought you were referring to a price drop on only the Ecoboost variant.

And I was referring to the Ecoboost as struggling.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #76
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr H
Dollar for dollar ford still wins hands down!!! Take a brand new fpv gt-p around $80k brand new vs a brand new $80k bmw 520i.......im not talking about engine capacity or anything purely dollar value bang for buck but still within same auto class...who in there right mind would buy the bimmer??? Now if u compare a gtp equivalent which would be the m5, of course its a better car but is it going to be 90-100k better??? The argument here is finding the best value car for the money you can afford. With the way the economy is budget concious consumers cant afford to run a 6, do they look for an alternative ie optima/i45/camry/etc. how many times have you heard people say "but its a front wheel drive" now the alternative available is a falcon turbo 4, rear wheel drive, seats 5 adults.....so before people start bagging a 4cycl falcon, look around and see whats available and u will soon realise its a smart move.
and the thing i find funny about it is alot of people who bag the four cylinder falcon have cars that it would beat in drag race or keep up with it. its quicker then most falcons pre BA!!!! so whats so bad about it??? the falcons always evolved it cant stay the same in this day and age!!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #77
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Its actually been the opposite, 6 cylinder builds have increased by 10 a day since Ecoboost was released. Ecoboost doesn't sell in high enough numbers to make a dent in 6 cylinder sales. Ford seriously need to get some 4 cylinder only fleet sales and soon.

So they have dropped the price on all engine variants of the LE? I thought you were referring to a price drop on only the Ecoboost variant.

And I was referring to the Ecoboost as struggling.
yes i thought that the fleets would of gone mad with these by now as alot of fleets have four cylinder only policies now. ford doesnt really have high expectaions on the ecoboost yet as it still sees its six as its main seller.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post