Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #31
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Beating temptations

Something to consider ... Manual NA XR6 are very hard to sell on the private market afterwards, as its not a real sports car the type of family buyers who go for them only want an Auto ... if you want an NA XR6 then I suggest to get an Auto, otherwise for for a Turbo XR6T with a manual transmission.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Beating temptations is easy for me. If it's cars, if I can't afford it ( in up front funds) then I walk away. I am dead against car finance, what a waste of money on a depreciating asset! Wants generally come at a higher cost than needs. A slick, whining supercharger on top is a want, not a need. And I don't need one to get from A to B. However now that I am mortgage free it's probably time I re-valuated those needs!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #33
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every month there is a different type of car I want. A lot of them I can afford, but then part of me says NO, you have a car you don't need two.

I have many wants right now, but buying a house has put me off. I said after I buy a house I will look at a second car I can afford. But by then I will start having 'wants' for my house as well.
It's never ending!
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #34
blk6t

Look at it this way, if you wait until your older, you will be in a far stronger financial position and instead of a FG XR6 you may be able to look at a used or new FPV instead....

There will be always newer models and the current models will always depreciate.

Personally I resisted and almost bought a XR6T ute when I got my first job. The ute would have taken my pay for years. But instead I saved solid for a few years, got a house with a small mortgage, now have both a GT 335 and SSV ute. I'm glad I waited.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #35
AcidTrip

If you have a car that gets you from A to B already, buy a motorbike. Can pick up a LAMs approved Duke 620 for less than $8000. The freedom and enjoyment you get from riding far outweighs any enjoyment, in my opinion, of anything you can have in a car.

Of course there comes the risk that some fully sick hektic habib ******** P-plater in his hotted up XR6T will knock you off by jumping the give way sign and T-bone you in a roundabout, sending your bike into a flying fury of plastic and metal and putting you in hospital. Can't let that stop you doing what you enjoy though!
AcidTrip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #36
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

save coin
by the time you have enough money your taste will have changed and something better will be around that takes your fancy
youre young
you have plenty of time
work your *** off and dont **** money up the wall and you will get what you want
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #37
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

@AcidTrip

Not a fan of motorbikes or I probably would have one by now

@MercurySilver

You probably have some merit to what you're saying. If that's the case, I will probably just buy what my taste has changed to at the time. I'm saving until I get onto my opens so I should have a bit saved by then to have a play and see what tickles my fancy.
Kable72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #38
AcidTrip

Fair enough, they're not for everyone.

I financed my XR6T 2 years ago for two purposes. 1 was to buy the car, the second was to help with all my finances for uni. Trying to go through uni without any assistance from the parents was far from easy and the loan allowed me to redraw when I needed to, during exams when I couldn't work for instance.

If I didn't need the loan, I wouldn't have done it. In the 2 years I've paid about 3.5k in interest, which means I could have spent an extra 3.5k on the car had I waited to buy it. I would have got my car for cheaper or found a better one with the extra cash.

Given that I'm not much older than you, I advise AGAINST car finance of any sort. Just save till you can get what you want. I sure as hell won't be financing a vehicle ever again.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #39
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Was the finance worth the extra money paid in interest? Would you have it any other way?

I agree, people can get themselves trapped and in a lot of trouble with financing cars, but as long as you have stable income, a safe and secure job, I don't really see a problem with Financing cars.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #40
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I'd really love a FG G6ET. I can afford one now. The mrs will let me get one if I wanted after I build her a house (which should be done by end this year early next year) but I dont like the fuel consumption and the temptation to mod it like Jack's car (G6ET8U) would be too strong which is a road I no longer want to head down

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #41
AcidTrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
Was the finance worth the extra money paid in interest? Would you have it any other way?
For me the interest has been worth it, because without the loan I would of had to drop out of uni. My parents refused to help financially, so if I didn't have the loan to assist with rent then I'd either have to be kicked out of my apartment or leave uni to work full time.

The car cost me $15k, the loan total was $28k. If it was just the $15k then interest would have been a heap less and it wouldn't have bothered me that much. It's an awesome car and, truth be told, I'd have happily paid an extra $2k on the cost of the car if the guy was asking for it. I would have ended up paying $2k in interest as a comparison. Now that I'm working full time I'll have the remaining $12k of my loan paid back by December, and in that time I'll probably pay another $1k in interest.

It really depends on how soon you can pay back the loan and, as you said yourself, your financial security. If its a huge amount, can you say with 100% surety that there's no risk to your job? That's where you'd need to consider loan insurance as well.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #42
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Yeah I'm scared to be bitten by the modding bug with them. I know I will. It happens to everyone. My uncle has an '04 XR8 and he always swore that it will remain stock...

Full Xforce exhaust, 19's, CAI later and now he is looking at a new set of Cams. He wants a new color, a blower and wants to get the internals strengthened. It happens to everyone whether it be cosmetic or power. Everyone has the itch to mod their cars.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #43
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Everyone has the itch to mod their cars.
no
some people just simply enjoy stock
like me
Old 08-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #44
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Yeah I have my XT on finance but I had a different situation in the fact that if I got laid off, I would have some financial security in that department with some assistance from my parents. Though, when I was laid off, I got a pay out which kept my head above water for about 3 months so I had security there even if my parents hadn't helped.

I now have a new job, full-time traineeship at Ford and my boss thinks I'm the bee's knee's. I dare say I have some pretty solid security in this job and even so, I still have some help from family to fall back on if I was really desperate and in need.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #45
AcidTrip

Quote:
I now have a new job, full-time traineeship at Ford and my boss thinks I'm the bee's knee's. I dare say I have some pretty solid security in this job and even so, I still have some help from family to fall back on if I was really desperate and in need.
Well in all honesty, I'd say go for it then. If it's what you really want and you're financially secure and are capable of meeting all the repayments plus your other commitments just do it. We're on this planet for a good time, not a long time. You're only young once!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #46
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Yeah, just going to save some cash so I have some for a deposit, trade in the sextee and have some left over so I can go from the dealer to the tuner and pull some more numbers out of her.

Plus I have to wait till I'm on my opens. No point purchashing a car that I can't drive.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #47
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
no
like me
But we know your 'special'

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #48
AcidTrip

Quote:
Yeah, just going to save some cash so I have some for a deposit, trade in the sextee and have some left over so I can go from the dealer to the tuner and pull some more numbers out of her.

Plus I have to wait till I'm on my opens. No point purchashing a car that I can't drive.
Sounds like a good plan to me! Not worth the risk of driving out of class these days, not with the Automatic Number Plate Recognition traps the police roll out everywhere.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #49
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK my 2 cents.

You are a trainee so I gues earn jack (like we all did once)

Worst thing you can do NOW is buy a brand new Falcon. It has the worst resale, will be expensive to insure, and is thirsty.

Have you checked insurance prices yet?

IMO buying this car would certainly rate as one of the dumbest things you could possibly do.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #50
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Stefan, I have moved on from the new falcon. I didn't intend on purchasing it anyway. I do, however, intend on buying a BF 6T. Saving up for about a year and see where I stand in terms of money and see how we go then.

I'm not going to do anything stupid. I have done those. This thread was about dealing with your temptations. Not acting out on them.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #51
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good decision, and the BF will be a nice ride!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #52
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
This thread was about dealing with your temptations. Not acting out on them.
An A++++ from me...

Hats off to you

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #53
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
no
like me
That VH of yours is a prime example. Very nice car and can be appreciated for being 'original'.

Not many around now that haven't been turned into either burnout cars or had fully hektic rims with makita springs.

I am one of those mod bug diseased individuals however, 310kw+ and I still want more
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post