Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Texas allows drivers to go faster if they use toll road.

Texas allows drivers to go faster if they use toll road.

Motorists in the United States could soon be able to drive at a higher speed limit – but only if they pay to do so.

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is reportedly planning to set the speed limit for a new stretch of motorway at 85 miles per hour (137km/h) – the second highest sign-posted speed limit in the world behind Poland which has 140km/h speed limits on some roads.

The new 66 kilometre stretch of road, known as Highway 130, offers motorists an alternative to the current route between San Antonio and Austin, the Interstate 35 – which was named the fourth most congested road in the state in 2011.

Advertisement: Story continues below
TxDOT director of speed management Darren McDaniel says there are tests being run on the stretch of highway prior to the official decision.

“We'll definitely take a look at that stretch, and we will conduct speed studies to see what that speed limit will be,” McDaniel is quoted by Reuters as saying.

The part of the I35 that is already open is sign-posted at 80mph (128km/h), and McDaniel says most motorists are already driving at 85mph anyway.

Those critical of the higher speed limit claim it will lead to more fatal crashes, but McDaniel says the extra speed won’t be a factor – provided everyone obeys the limit.

“The more people we can get to travel a uniform speed, the safer are the conditions that will exist,” McDaniel says.

There’s no information yet on how much the charge will be to drive on the toll road.

The 85mph limit is one of the highest in the world, although some sections of Germany's autobahns do not have posted speed limits for regular passenger cars.
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...608-20038.html
Ads by Google

Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Texas allows drivers to go faster if they use toll road.

French toast...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I already pay to drive at 125 in 100 zones, and 130 in 110 zones in VIC. Usually costs me about a $250 a year tax, plus extra fuel use tax. Think its well worth the price :-)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Texas allows drivers to go faster if they use toll road.

Motorists in the United States could soon be able to drive at a higher speed limit – but only if they pay to do so.

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is reportedly planning to set the speed limit for a new stretch of motorway at 85 miles per hour (137km/h) – the second highest sign-posted speed limit in the world behind Poland which has 140km/h speed limits on some roads.

TxDOT director of speed management Darren McDaniel says there are tests being run on the stretch of highway prior to the official decision.
“We'll definitely take a look at that stretch, and we will conduct speed studies to see what that speed limit will be,” McDaniel is quoted by Reuters as saying.

The part of the I35 that is already open is sign-posted at 80mph (128km/h), and McDaniel says most motorists are already driving at 85mph anyway.

Those critical of the higher speed limit claim it will lead to more fatal crashes, but McDaniel says the extra speed won’t be a factor – provided everyone obeys the limit.

“The more people we can get to travel a uniform speed, the safer are the conditions that will exist,” McDaniel says.
Really, 85mph is not that fast. I wish we were allowed to drive at that speed here in Australia. Lane control, lane discipline and reduced tailgating is what is needed for that to happen. I do actually think that tailgating could potentially reduce as people tend to do so because they feel like they aren't getting to the destination quick enough.

As far as the infrastructure, many of our roads are built to a high enough standard to accomodate the increased speeds.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

In my F6, 110km/h feels like you're doing 80km/h... and 140 feels like 100.

In my Excel, 110km/h feels like you're driving a 4 wheeled rocketship re-entering orbit at 30,000km/h! I'd NEVER I repeat NEVER drive this thing even CLOSE to 140km/h.

Fully support their initiative, so long as the vehicles are safe and the road isn't a shambles like the old sections of the Bruce Highway here in QLD.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Should open up EastLink like this. Would probably become more popular and profitable.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6
In my F6, 110km/h feels like you're doing 80km/h... and 140 feels like 100.

In my Excel, 110km/h feels like you're driving a 4 wheeled rocketship re-entering orbit at 30,000km/h! I'd NEVER I repeat NEVER drive this thing even CLOSE to 140km/h.

Fully support their initiative, so long as the vehicles are safe and the road isn't a shambles like the old sections of the Bruce Highway here in QLD.
This is probably going to sound odd but in the Fiesta and the Focus, same feeling, 100km/h feels fairly slow, I guess its how smooth they sit on the road.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post