Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 14-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
razredge
Starter Motor

Default Engine braking on auto Fiesta

I have a 1.4 WS auto Fiesta and have been using the gearbox's tiptronic function to downshift when going down hills to maintain my speed or to slow down when approaching red lights - to save wearing out my brake pads which apparently wear out quite quickly as on most European vehicles.

I was wondering whether doing this would damage the engine/transmission?

In another issue that may or may not be related, sometimes when I start my car and put it into reverse the transmission shudders for a second and then engages properly and works completely fine with no detectable issues/noises at all during driving - it only happens when the car starts. I'm not sure if this is normal or is a problem I need to have looked at (could it be due to my car not being used for a couple of days between driving it?)

razredge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
el_wagon

Default Re: Engine braking on auto Fiesta

I was taught to use both engine braking and foot braking to maintain speed down hills and for stopping, so I can't see anything wrong with that. As long as your downshifting doesn't go over 3 or 4k revs it should be fine I think.
el_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
trumpy73

technically it's correct but the way I look at it is, engine=expensive, gearbox=expensive, brakes=cheap
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
razredge
Starter Motor

Yeah, I don't let it rev above 4000 revs - I don't think it'd be any different than the transmission automatically shifting down under braking.

And it's true that the engine and transmission are far more expensive than the brakes, so maybe i'll use engine braking more sparingly now on.
Old 14-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Full set of quality aftermarket front discs & brake pads fully installed = $500

Full gearbox rebuild or replacement = $3000+

I think what you are doing would increase gearbox wear ... and it may be increasing your fuel consumption, the ECU in the car is designed to map fuel usage and engine speed very precisely ... better than a human in fact
Old 14-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
razredge
Starter Motor

Ok, I see the point.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the shuddering on startup? It does only seem to occur when the car hasn't been started in a while.
Old 14-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Fez WQ

How many kms have u done
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
razredge
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez WQ
How many kms have u done
3,000? got the car with 32,000 on the clock
Old 27-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Just sounds like something to do with it being so cold. Does it happen in the middle of summer assuming you have had it that long?

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
razredge
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm
Just sounds like something to do with it being so cold. Does it happen in the middle of summer assuming you have had it that long?
Actually, now that you mention it - i've only noticed it in the past few months, so perhaps it is something to do with being cold.

If it was an issue, you'd think I'd hear sounds, feel vibrations etc from the transmission whilst driving it as well, and not only when starting up.

Also, I was wondering how many times a year do I have to service my car?
I got the car in December and did a service back in January and got a reminder from the dealer that it's due in for another service.

But I've only driven 3000 km in it since Jan? Do I have to do one every 6 months or with that kind of mileage can I just do one yearly?
Old 28-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

That would be the complimentary one the dealer does at 3000. Log book advises every 12 months or 15000kms. I recommend you go for the 3000 one for warranty sake, it should be free.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
Spinner77

+1.

You should use the free 3,000 service, not only for warranty, but safety's sake.

I think most people here would have an oil change too. It is supposed not be necessary, but it's good maintenance. They will charge you for the oil, but usually not labor at 3,000.
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
razredge
Starter Motor

No, sorry - the car has done 35,000 km or so, but I've only done 3000 km in it since I got it in December.

Since I serviced it in January, I'm wondering whether I need to service it again now or just wait til next year