Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
pg_mondeo
Starter Motor

Default Rear washer jet freezing

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone else has had the rear washer jet freezing up?

I live on the other side of the Blue Mountains and on the (all to regular) frosty mornings we get here the back window of my MA XR5 is a sheet of ice.

I had read somewhere that the washer jets were supposed to be heated but this may only be the front although these have also frozen on a couple of occaisions

Any advice on what I could put in the washer water to prevent it from freezing that wouldn't be a risk to the paintwork?

Thanks!

pg_mondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rear washer jet freezing

Hey Mate,

Just lifted the bonnet on mine and the washer jets are not heated, no wiring loom there. On my previous Passat it had Heated (Fan-Type) Jets. Although for me I was never subject to the same temperature drops that you are faced with. I am sure you will find answers if you look on the Ford UK sites / forums. Maybe you could retro-fit the heated washer jets as a side project?

Maybe ask your local Ford Parts for what windscreen additive they provide.

I myself am still using Genuine VW Windscreen Clear Concentrate Part No. G 052 164 M2. It has frost protection to -70degrees and is lemony fresh to boot!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just located on a Ford UK site. Premium Washer Fluid Part No. F1388438 (1L) this has frost protection to -55degrees as per the bottle (not description). Maybe see if Ford OZ can source for you, or try autObarn / Super Cheap etc. Or just buy the same as I use from VW for about $12 a bottle (1Litre).
Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

You can buy add ons to heat the washer fluid. Either electric (more instant) or ones that have a coolant heat exchanger (don't work until the coolant is hot).

eg http://www.autoanything.com/driving-...A5007A0A0.aspx
http://www.closeouts.midwestbusparts...&products_id=1

http://www.kraftpower.com/carlor/topstart.html

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/H... Courtesy Lamp

But also choose a washer additive that contains antifreeze. Per the last link Ford also supply heated jets on some overseas models and retrofitting them might be the easiest solution.

Also http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-O...Focus_1044.jsp

Last edited by aussiblue; 08-07-2012 at 02:41 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some great info there Blue. Glad to see Ford now also offer a Fan-type washer jet. Might look at grabbing these, not sue about the hassle of wiring up the jets though.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
pg_mondeo
Starter Motor

Thanks for the tips guys!

I had asked at the local auto shops for washer fluid with anti-freeze and got some blank looks

If I don't have any luck with the Ford Dealer I'll chase up give the VW fluid as there is now a dealer up in Bathurst.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

add metho too the water, alcohol % lowers the freezing point
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Get rid of the water altogether and put vodka in there. Won't freeze.

The bonus is you can stand outside your car when you're chilling with mates and add to your Maccas Coke with the press of a button.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
fonfe
RS shop's technician

You do not need to add any additives to your washer system to prevent freezing, only increase the concentration of washer fluid to water mixture.
Washer fluid contains alcohol to prevent freezing, you have too weak a solution as your probably not factoring quite how much your washer bottle holds
Old 15-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
pg_mondeo
Starter Motor

Hi Guys, thanks for the posts, Does anyone have any idea what the capacity of the washer bottle actually is (So I can get the mix right)
Old 19-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
fonfe
RS shop's technician

about 3-4 liters i think. never actually filled one up from bone dry