Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #61
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The 'nanny state' gets worse...

fatigue management is also a big part of the truck industry, but i think there also other factors that weigh in, stress is another, being over worked often under paid is also a factor in some cases, some blokes work 60/70/80 hours a week most of the year, it catches up with you in the end.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #62
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
some blokes work 60/70/80 hours a week most of the year, it catches up with you in the end.
Yep, I know what you mean. I've been doing 60-70hour weeks for about 38 years.

I think it's finally starting to catch up as these days I'd rather stay home than go to work
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #63
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Fatigue management is a simply huge part of our industry (train driving).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
fatigue management is also a big part of the truck industry,
most of these types of industries, there is already legislation in place. the way i read the article was implementing it across the board in all workplaces. anyone who can't see how ridiculous that is is just stubborn.

maybe people will realise how stupid it is when they notice the price of everything going up because bosses now have to try to cover for those who think the world revolves around them.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #64
gtfpv
GT

Deleted

Last edited by gtfpv; 08-10-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #65
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Think people need to start taking responsibilities for their own actions.

Wonder how they plan on implementing this if it proceeds any further?

Maybe every employer needs to have a 10 minute assessment of each employee before letting them start work with their new found medical/physiologist degrees they just obtained.

Before anyone starts on OHS, that is every one responsibility - not just one groups.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #66
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just another reason business will shut shop in OZ. I dont blame them. Stupid laws that will be abused by union bludgers.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #67
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Sorry sir, can't change that light globe, it's 2:05pm. Had you asked me ten minutes earlier I would have been wide awake and ready for action". I wonder if you'd ever see that client again
Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #68
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

If this is applied in Parliament.....

One yawn and we all go home. Nothing gets done, go on stress leave on full pay.

Naturally all schools and government depts would follow suit.

What a joke.

Go to a so called 3rd world country and see how proud people are to have a job and the pride they have in doing it well. And the standard of service you get compared to here. No work...No pay...No eat...pretty simple really.

No one is saying send the kids into coal mines but you do need to work for your money...there is always someone paying for someone elses free ride.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #69
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Just another reason business will shut shop in OZ. I dont blame them. Stupid laws that will be abused by union bludgers.

please do me a favour and hand back any of these conditions you have , wouldnt want you to be a hipocrit. and these were not fought for for people like you .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl1gdAheKDQ
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #70
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
please do me a favour and hand back any of these conditions you have , wouldnt want you to be a hipocrit. and these were not fought for for people like you .
dont give me that pro union bs.. lol'd so much when carbon tax was announced all the union propaganda sprouting all the exciting new green jobs....

you make me laugh

companys do good, i do good...

true story
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #71
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

If economically, SHTfan globally, man are we in for a deep shock here.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #72
prydey
Rob

anyone who thinks unions are still working for the good of the country and the people, will wake up one day and wonder why all the lights are off and manufacturing is done wholly offshore!!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #73
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
GTFPV, It's painfully obvious here just how badly you feel as though you've been wronged in the past. The details of which, really, while difficult were preventable. By you in the first instance.

This is where the buck keeps getting passed. The employees of this nation are more than happy to bleat, cry, whinge and b*tch about just how hard they are doing it. Party politics notwithstanding we have one of the strongest economies in the developed world, and a safe abundance of safety nets in society. This is a result of the hard work of the generations which preceeded us today. They were the generations which understood the value of a hard days work. They understood it in simple terms such as

-The priviledge to be employed
-The satisfaction of truly earning a pay packet (however meagre the amount)
-Having had a role in building a nation
-Knowing the roof over their heads,the clothes on their backs and the food on the table was a direct result of that hard work.

They also had an inherent understanding that wanting those things and the struggle to have them involved risk. That risk in some cases was never coming home in the worst cases and flowing down to the most minor of inconveniences, having to work on a Sunday..... (In the big scheme of things).

They were also a generation who knew what it was to have nothing. Through World War 1, the Great Depression and onto World War 2. Priority was not on the individual, it was on building a solid and dependable society. One which could be relied upon when the chips were down, men were fighting for their very lives in the name of world peace and harmony.

This is all in stark contrast to today.

Instead of looking to the future as bright and enticing..... we are lead by fear of what might go wrong. Instead of respecting the sacrifices and carefully learning from the errors past in calculating and accepting risk, we are throwing up red tape and trivial circumstance as a reason to fight for a mandated third coffee break, apsolute garbage siestas and ultimately over-regulation of employee ability in otherwise 'unregulated' industries.......... It's a crock.

The whole scenario smacks of putting the cart before the horse.

Way back when..... if you as the employee didnt like the risk, you found alternate employment. It wasn't a perfect system. However, it got the job done. There were people lining up for those jobs. These days the employer is now criminally liable for even attempting offer that risk (Obviously there are exceptions) as was the societal norm during our boom years. Anyone else see where it went downhill?

Gone are days where risk was universally accepted and the results being beneficial on the grand scale. Its not communism..... its progress, and it's the very foundation on which the greatest countries in the world have been built. It has now whittled away to a snails pace.......
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #74
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

union thugs play harcore in eba negs..

company buckles gives in..

union thugs high five we win..

company announces divestation of assets and sale..

congratulations union thugs.. meet your new chinese owners..

hahahaha..
Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #75
Dr Jekkyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
anyone who thinks unions are still working for the good of the country and the people, will wake up one day and wonder why all the lights are off and manufacturing is done wholly offshore!!
Not a whole lot of wondering to do if the AUD remains at current levels.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #76
gtfpv
GT

Its just so funny how i bet you all take your rights at work and bag how u got them lol . I havent been done any wrong at work in fact i have a good job and get paid what worth . Good money and conditions . And i respect how i got them . I dont spit in the face of my employer . Nor do they take my lively hood away from me . You guys can do and think what you like . I often read the debts and wages being reported on the forum and feel sorry for others . But ok and doing well sorry for your lack of conditions and many which uou take for granted . I for one hope my kids have a better prospect as what many if you aspire to . My grandparents etc fought for what i have today and i respect and remember that .
Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #77
gtfpv
GT

3 weeks ago one of our members was killed on the job , today we are handing his wife and 2 young children over $200 000 in cash collected by employees that have never met him , It wont bring him back . His family is also entitled to full superannuTion and payout . The union is paying for the guys funeral , not the company . No one is saying it was his fault , nor the companies . He is fully covered anyhow due to union negations which have briught anout rights we have many decades ago . We are asking the union and the company to prevent this accident happening to someone else . We simply dont say you get up there and tame iver where he left off we try and make the job safer for the next guy. . Not dribble on about how it was his fault . If u arent in a union work place im sorry for your luck . But think yiurself lucky that the conditions you take for granted were fought and won by those more moble than you
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #78
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
3 weeks ago one of our members was killed on the job , today we are handing his wife and 2 young children over $200 000 in cash collected by employees that have never met him , It wont bring him back . His family is also entitled to full superannuTion and payout . The union is paying for the guys funeral , not the company . No one is saying it was his fault , nor the companies . He is fully covered anyhow due to union negations which have briught anout rights we have many decades ago . We are asking the union and the company to prevent this accident happening to someone else . We simply dont say you get up there and tame iver where he left off we try and make the job safer for the next guy. . Not dribble on about how it was his fault . If u arent in a union work place im sorry for your luck . But think yiurself lucky that the conditions you take for granted were fought and won by those more moble than you
Not good, no one ever wants to see anyone hurt or injured on the job. My condolences to family and all involved

My comments before were based on the topic of the thread - It should not be up to the employer to assess the mental/emotional/physical state of an employee. The employee needs to make that decision as to whether they are fit for their duties. They should be the best person to judge their current state (and if they are not then they can seek professional help)- not the employer

I personally see the proposed changes as just another attempt to dumb down society.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 09-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #79
prydey
Rob

what do these wonderful unions do for those who run their own business? those who are employers not employees??

are the unions out there helping the farmers? where's their 8 hour day
Old 09-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #80
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gtfpv no doubt they have done/do some good things............... but it also goes the other way, having been a member many times in different occupations, i have seen both sides, at present imo they need to go back to their roots, get out of the country`s politics for a start.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #81
gtfpv
GT

Unions shouldnt get bagged . All employees including staff enjoy privelidges which were laughed at by companies. No one ever came into work And said hmmm , i think ill start a workers comp ons policy for my employees . Or i think ill give them 3 meal breaks , the right to sick leave , permanancy , foilets and emenities . Yes people used to go behing a tree for a crap !!! Penalty rates , capped hours , awards, anti discrimination laws . Permanancy. All these conditions made and still do make employers angry . None of them were handed to us in good faith and nine of them were free. Often earnings are capped too or negotiations are made bu both parties . But all you hear about by the uneducated is tea breaks . Employers should also have the right to send you home , or to training or dismiss you for negligence . Unions agree with this also . Get educated . The bosses have always gitten angry or laughed at union proposals . No matter what they have been .
Old 09-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #82
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
what do these wonderful unions do for those who run their own business? those who are employers not employees??

are the unions out there helping the farmers? where's their 8 hour day
If u really want me to i could tell you how they have stood for the farming community and what they fo to benifit employers. If you want you could find out with ease yourself . But you cant be as stupid as you sound . So i figure your just trolling !!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #83
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@....ures20Jun+2011
Quote:
Of the 111 people who died in workplace incidents in 2009-10, the vast majority (95%) were men. Twenty nine of the people who died were workers aged 15-34 years, 49 were aged 35-54 years, and 33 were aged 55 years and over. The fatality rate among workers in 2009-10 increased with age, from 0.7 per 100,000 workers aged 15-34 years, to 1.0 among 35-54 year olds, and 1.8 among workers aged 55 years and over. Though the fatality rate among workers aged 55 years and over has been trending downwards in recent years it is still more than double that of younger workers.
That's over a hundred people a year who went to work, and never went back home again. That simply isn't good enough, and if employers feel it's a little too much bother to provide a safe workplace, and have systems in place (like fatigue) that keep an eye on workers well-being, then they don't deserve to be in business in the first place...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #84
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this has gone far enough. It has devolved into two sides who are convinced that they are perfect and the other is the spawn of the devil.

It is really easy to undestand how wars start.
Closed Thread