Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
webbiegareth

Default Strange popping / dripping sound when idling

Hi all,

Our Ford AU has a very strange "popping" sound when idle, it's NOT in time with the engine - it seems totally random, kind of like water dripping onto a metal surface. It sounds stronger from the driver's side of the engine, and you can hear it louder sticking your head under the car.

I suspected an exhaust manifold leak as I knew the muffler had a few holes and the mechanic thought there was a hole in the engine pipe as well (between cat and manifold).

Here was the original video:

http://youtu.be/thrqtC3I5wY

You can hear it loudest when I walk in front of the car and lean on it a bit, right before I start revving the engine - you can't hear the sound anymore of the sound of it revving, only when it's idling.

Oh and I realise how bad it sounds when it's revving... it's an old engine, I just want it to last as long as possible then we'll put in a newer engine. So all the repairs we're doing to the car is everything apart from the engine

We've now had pacemakers, new metal cat and a redback 2.5" catback exhaust fitted. The damn sound is still there!

http://youtu.be/9742LdDf7v0

(totally out of focus, but that's with the new exhaust system fitted).

Does anyone know what the hell this sound is?

Last edited by webbiegareth; 08-04-2012 at 08:15 PM.
webbiegareth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Strange popping / dripping sound when idling

may be miles off here but I get a similar sound from my belt,.....doesn't always do it but it sounds similar

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

These videos are always difficult...
Suggest crank end float? Try running without the belt and check play on the tensioner pulleys, water pump, and aircon compressor?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

I have the same sound. I thought it was a bearing or end float, but it disappears once the engine revs. I had the sump off recently everything looked ok.
I'll try running without the belt - but so far, complete mystery as to what it is.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
webbiegareth

Thanks guys... have you had it for a while? It's not going to kill the engine quickly if it's crank end float is it? I figured it wasn't a real problem with the main components of the engine though as like Evgeni said, it disappears once the engine revs.

I figured it was an exhaust manifold leak as it sort of sounded a little bit like one I found on youtube, however after replacing the entire exhaust system is mustn't be that (else I have extremely bad luck and the new system wasn't installed correctly - I doubt that though!).

I'll swing by the mechanics on the way to work this morning and give him a listen.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbiegareth
Thanks guys... have you had it for a while? It's not going to kill the engine quickly if it's crank end float is it? I figured it wasn't a real problem with the main components of the engine though as like Evgeni said, it disappears once the engine revs.

I figured it was an exhaust manifold leak as it sort of sounded a little bit like one I found on youtube, however after replacing the entire exhaust system is mustn't be that (else I have extremely bad luck and the new system wasn't installed correctly - I doubt that though!).

I'll swing by the mechanics on the way to work this morning and give him a listen.
A little over 2 years ago I took the box out to do the rear main and converter seal. This is when I first noticed the noise, so who knows how long it has been going on. I can only hear mine when I am under the car. I have done over 80000k's since - over 201000 now.
It doesn't seem to affect performance. I'm getting around 16l/100kms on lpg. City driving with the air con on. Figures get better in winter with the air con off.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

End float won't kill it too quickly. I've seen a few engines with 3-5mm end float that still ran like kittens. The best one was a 3.9 Falcon engine with 7mm! But you wouldn't have known - we only rebuilt it because it was smoky

Basically - it's a Falcon, thrash it into the ground and then replace the engine, just like everyone else haha
Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
webbiegareth

Is that what it is though? The engine is very smooth.... idles smoothly, accelerates smoothly, cruises smoothly etc etc... doesn't use any oil between services...
Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Without seeing it.... couldn't tell you, sorry. You can check things out; remove the bellhousing dust cover and starter to look for damage, drop the belt and check your ancilliaries/check end float (very roughly), drop the exhaust and shake it out, and check the chain over. After all that, is the engine really worth any further digging if you're waiting for it to die anyway? Sometimes it's best not to look too hard; it can get expensive fast!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
webbiegareth

I swung it by the mechanic this morning but it was a waste of time - it was raining heavily, and they have a metal roof so we couldn't hear the noise, and couldn't hear it outside in the rain too. Naturally once I got to work and parked it, it had stopped raining and I could hear it. Aaaargh! I'll try again when it's not raining.

The exhaust is all new, unless they've got a leak in it. You're right, I don't want to spend much working it out as I can get a lower km's engine fitted for $850.

The car itself was my girlfriend's mum's car with 250,000km's on it - most of them country k's (they live out in a little country town out in whoop-whoop), and she drives like a grandma so it's never been thrashed.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
AUFanboy

I know this thread is a few months old but I'm bumping it cause mine has the same sound! I figured it might just be oil dripping back into the sump from the head, or transmission oil splashing back into the transmission sump from the cooler return line. Hopefully.
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFanboy View Post
I know this thread is a few months old but I'm bumping it cause mine has the same sound! I figured it might just be oil dripping back into the sump from the head, or transmission oil splashing back into the transmission sump from the cooler return line. Hopefully.
All these little ticks all disappeared with Penrite 15w60 in my case. Probably increased oil pressure enough to stop any metal to metal contact, who knows.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
AJ09

Very interesting read!!

Our AU1 has the same noise too.

I started a thread re bottom end noise and quite a few helpful AFF members put my mind at ease.

I did all the usual checks with belts, pulleys etc etc.

One thing I did find is that the guts of my cat converter is loose, however there is still some noise from the engine. Thicker oil helped to quieten it a lot.

It's still there but doesn't really bother me now ( especially now I know so many others have the same thing) it only happens around 1200-1500rpm with no load and it's not very often the engine operates like that anyway.

Cheers
AJ09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
AUFanboy

Stuck my head under the car again this morning and had a listen. To me it doesn't sound like metal on metal, more like a splash/drip sound. I think the big oil drain passages are in the back of the head so it might just be oil sloshing down there into the sump, maybe the crank hitting some oil on the way down.

Makes sense that thicker oil would reduce the splashing. But I think I'll stick with my favourite Mobil semi-synth 5w-30, it doesn't burn/use any and I get low 7 litres/100km on the highway
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Re: Strange popping / dripping sound when idling

My AU2 XR6 ute does it as well.
I have had the ute since new from Dec. 2001
It has made that noise for as long as I can remember.
I can recall discussion on this forum relating this noise to the charcoal canister solenoid.
Bill.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFanboy View Post
I have an AUII as well and to me it always sounded like oil slap... was more noticable when the car is parked on a slope.
My previous EL also had the same noise.
Comes and goes.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post