Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #61
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Can anyone recommend a good first car for a young female driver - Up to $9K

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i agree. it took 30 replies to mention focus. this is a ford forum isn't it. so often when people ask for advice on which car, every other brand possible is mentioned before a ford option. you have to wonder sometimes.

also, to those mentioning ford laser... the budget is 9k, not $900.

another vote for LS/LT focus. don't let the fact they are built in south africa put you off. they are a great drive. possibly not the most economical in their class but they are one of the heaviest, which i think is a good thing. nothing wrong with a bit of mass in a small car. i bought my mother in law one in sydney and drove it home (adelaide) and they sit on the road very well. i've driven falcons all my life and the focus didn't feel a lot different. very planted, not affected too much by a stiff cross wind etc.

i bought one for my wife not long after and she loves it. awesome little cars.

A quality last model Laser 2002 are certainly not $900 especially the SR and SR2.
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #62
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 
Default Re: Can anyone recommend a good first car for a young female driver - Up to $9K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
Not everyone is one eyed, everything doesn't have to be about Ford.
Ding it, yeah probably happen so should be a consideration as bumper will get knocked eventually. Maintenance is a biggie, iirc Focus ain't cheap on parts, nothing like the Getz.
Safety is a consideration, how many of us had first cars with all the bells and whistles and didn't survive to tell the tale?
Key to being safe is teach her how to drive not pass a test. All the pop and stop in the world isn't going to stop an accident, probably create a false sense of security.
When you have been to as many accidents I have .. Trust me safety is supreme !!! Girls dont think that way anyway.. They think cup holders and make up mirrors.. Lol..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
This user likes this post:
Old 26-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #63
lelandnine
LEELEE

For less than 9K you can buy a low km Getz 2010/2011 which will still have some of it's original 5 year warranty. I have recommended these cars to 3 people in the last 12 months. All bought one and they love'm
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #64
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I agree the Getz are under rated by far. Pretty much from 09 on the Hyundais have come in leaps and bounds.

+1 for a Subaru Liberty in the way of reliability. Can get a Gen3 for pretty cheap these days. 2.5L awd. Very reliable. BUT if a/c is a must might be best to steer clear of these as the a/c on these cars are pretty lack lustre compared to say a larger car. Thats what I have found on both the Subbys I have owned. On hot days in traffic, they struggle.

Be very careful with cheap chinese stuff and early early Korean cars older than 08.

Another under rated car is a Lancer. Excellent cars for the dough.

Mazda are great but are getting pricey. Same with some Toyotas.

Im also a fan of the Honda Accord Euro's. Great motor in those little things.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 26-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #65
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Green swift. The display dem P plates.

So all us blokes know to look in and see if she is decent.

YEAH YEAH Like I'm the only one

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 26-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #66
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I do not think its a bad idea to go for these cars or any car for that matter as long as you know what you are looking for and are prepared with prior personal research. Going in blindly with no knowledge is what many make the mistake of, get burnt and blame the brand with.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #67
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661 View Post
Green swift. The display dem P plates.

So all us blokes know to look in and see if she is decent.

YEAH YEAH Like I'm the only one
HAHAHA So true. P plate on a small hatch, look to see if she is hot, sometimes get a surprise that it is a guy

But in seriousness note, a Lancer as another above has mentioned. When I was 20 looking for a car, a lancer was nearly purchased, got a XF instead.
Old 26-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #68
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek View Post
Flappist, please set a good example for the forum community.

It would have been fine to ask "Have you thought of actually just asking her what she would like?" but the assumptive remarks that follow are not appropriate.

I never mentioned knowing more about cars than her, in fact, in my first post I openly stated that I know little about small cars. Did you read my original post before leaving your remarks?

Please stay on topic.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I have passed all of them on to her to take a look at, except for any where a big car like a Falcon was suggested, as the eye is set on a small car.

I actually found a good deal on a Hyundai Getz, but later found out that it was in an accident, and is a repairable write-off.

Is it a bad idea generally to still go for these types of cars? I have a mechanic coming along with me, but I realise that it may still be a bad idea to consider the car?
I would stay away from a write off. The reason is, the value of the car, plus there would be a question in my mind, has it been repaired correctly.

A mechanic may be able to tell you if it has a good motor etc, but may not be able to tell you about the quality of repair.
Old 26-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #69
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
When you have been to as many accidents I have .. Trust me safety is supreme !!! Girls dont think that way anyway.. They think cup holders and make up mirrors.. Lol..
Well obviously safety is not so supreme that you still drive a EB XR8 occasionally.......
Old 26-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #70
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Well obviously safety is not so supreme that you still drive a EB XR8 occasionally.......
I have much latter cars than the E.B and 800 h.p is not what a first car can safely drive..
I'm experienced enough .., I learnt driving old A70's, old farm trucks, Fordson Dexter etc, way before I went to high school..

In most cases kids don't have this experience!!! Often their first crash is there last !!! Stupid part is they're often drunk and NO blloody seat belts !!

We are talking first car here..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 26-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #71
STINKY NINJA
Banned

If the budget get there get a cj lancer,heaps of room inside for a small car.Uses around 7 litres per hundred km in a manual and has a 5 star safety rating.best car ive ever owned.
Go pretty well for a 2.0,the 2.4 go even better.
The autos are rubbish though and use heaps of fuel.
Old 26-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #72
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I think we are done here, hopefully the OP got some good advice.
Closed Thread