Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Default Questions about LW Focus

I'd like to upgrade from my LS to an LW in the not too distant future and I'm just poking around for some more info. I checked out the Titanium at a dealer the other day and while it's a nice car, I like the manual option available with the Sport.

How do the current model rotors hold up? I know my LS discs were junk and I don't want them needing replacement before the tyres.

Is the LW manual gearbox the same sweet unit fitted to the earlier models?

Also, I was wondering if the Sport model could have the 18" Titanium wheels factory/dealer fitted.

Has anyone had a tow kit fitted? I don't actually want to tow anything, just install a bicycle rack.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
wombat66

Default Re: Questions about LW Focus

We have a tow bar fitted on our LW Sport hatch. It doesn't interfere with the parking sensors unless we hook up the trailer.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
entheos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
I'd like to upgrade from my LS to an LW in the not too distant future and I'm just poking around for some more info. I checked out the Titanium at a dealer the other day and while it's a nice car, I like the manual option available with the Sport.

How do the current model rotors hold up? I know my LS discs were junk and I don't want them needing replacement before the tyres.

Is the LW manual gearbox the same sweet unit fitted to the earlier models?

Also, I was wondering if the Sport model could have the 18" Titanium wheels factory/dealer fitted.

Has anyone had a tow kit fitted? I don't actually want to tow anything, just install a bicycle rack.
To answer your questions:

Not sure really yet as I guess no-one's really done enough KMS to warrant replacement yet. I know that we haven't sold a single rotor for the LW since release 12 months ago, so that's gotta be a reasonably good thing then right?

I can't actually answer the 2nd question, cause I wasn't around selling before the LW really, however I did drive a CL 5 speed and have since driven an LW manual and they FELT about the same...but I can't answer if they are the exact same gearbox... but both very smooth.

You could get the Titanium rims fitted from the dealer, but as it's not a 'factory' build option, then you're paying 'spare parts' pricing for them. Off the top of my head they are about $425ish each rim, then tyres on top of that... so possibly not financially sensible, however if you want them NEW then that's what you're talking about... The new Focus Sport rims look the good though...not a multi spoke style like the german built ones...they look like the Mondeo Titanium rims, however 1 inch smaller.

Towbar can be fitted...900kg max tow capacity. Hayman Reese is the only option at the moment, and as a result they don't 'deactivate' the reverse sensors as wombat has suggested, so when you hook a trailer up there is no over-ride to turn them off.

Hope that helps.

Groomy
Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Thanks Groomy, I imagined the wheels would fall in that category. I know some dealers at the time of purchase offer credit for the standard wheels/tyres if they have alternative/third party rim options available (Peter Warren had their own 18" + sports suspension upgrade on CL, LX and Ghias when I bought my Focus). Spare parts I guess would be another story.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
entheos

well you can get a 'credit' on the wheels and tyres at some dealerships.... we've run out of room to fit 'credited' rims and tyres... usually I would recommend to get something done aftermarket, or we can fit the bigger rims and tyres, and you keep the old ones and sell them.... You'd get more than we would offer as a credit. :P
Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Apart from the cost issues mentioned above with the titanium wheels and tyres there is one other important factor and that is lock limiters need to be installed as the 8"rims mean you cannot use as much steering lock and your turning circle will increase

mrmavx
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
overl0ad
Starter Motor

just on the subject of brakes rotors.

do you think that an upgraded set of brakes would interfere with the "Active Stop" function? not so much as to disable it completely, but more to cause it to grab a little too quickly.
overl0ad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
colloz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmavx View Post
Apart from the cost issues mentioned above with the titanium wheels and tyres there is one other important factor and that is lock limiters need to be installed as the 8"rims mean you cannot use as much steering lock and your turning circle will increase

mrmavx
Just bought the Mrs a Titanium (German built) a month ago, turning circle is about 1m more than my Territory. That is the only negative we have.
Are the lock limiters something that can be removed if we went to the 17" wheels?
colloz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post