Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #61
The Outsider

Default Re: 2 Cars Colliding at an amber light (car turning right into oncoming traffic)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
However, Road rule must also be considered prior to entering
128 Entering blocked intersections
A driver must not enter an intersection if the driver cannot drive through the intersection because the intersection, or a road beyond the intersection, is blocked.
Agreed whilst also considering rule 128 as above.

i believe that rule does not apply to this situation.

my understanding after reading that is for banked up traffic going in the same direction as you.

one thing i have learnt from this is that vic road rules are very hard to understand because of the way they are worded.

nsw is much clearer.
The Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #62
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Re: 2 Cars Colliding at an amber light (car turning right into oncoming traffic)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
i believe that rule does not apply to this situation.

my understanding after reading that is for banked up traffic going in the same direction as you.

one thing i have learnt from this is that vic road rules are very hard to understand because of the way they are worded.

nsw is much clearer.
It sure does.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #63
tweeked
N/A all the way

It is not "blocked" if the section of road that you are continuing on to or turning into is clear. This rule is designed to stop cars blocking an intersection AFTER the signals have changed. This does not happen when waiting to turn right, as you will clear the intersection safely when the lights change (only if the oncoming traffic doesnt race the amber!!). It would apply if the road to the right was blocked with stationary traffic right back to your current intersection.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #64
The Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
It sure does.
ok clearly there is no reasoning with you.

seems like everyone else is reading the rules the way they are intended but your the only one thats right here.

ill will leave this at this stage.

maybe you should contact a driving school or vicroads for clarification and post it here for all to see.
The Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #65
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bloke turning right is in the wrong, bottom line you are not to turn right at an intersection until all is clear, regardless or not of the colour of the traffic lights.

62 Giving way when turning at an intersection with traffic lights
(1) A driver turning at an intersection with traffic lights must give way to⎯
(c) if the driver is turning right—any oncoming vehicle that is going straight ahead or turning left at the intersection (except a vehicle turning left using a slip lane).

There is nothing there about the colour of the lights

I know it sounds odd, but the Police will support my argument.

I used to be a driving instructor in Victoria, but have conducted driver training all over Australia and in New Zealand

Last edited by Trevor 57; 03-01-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #66
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the point of 'running' orange lights, the OP in his first post siad he made an error of judgement, we will leave that as it, he knows he did the wrong thing.

One thing that everyone needs to know is that a green light does not mean you have the right of way, the law is quite clear about intersections, you are requried to enter an intersection at such a speed that will enable you to stop (regardless of colour)

From the Road Rules Dictionary (at the rear)

give way, for a driver or pedestrian, means—

(b) in any other case—slow down and, if necessary, stop to avoid a collision;
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #67
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
ok clearly there is no reasoning with you.

seems like everyone else is reading the rules the way they are intended but your the only one thats right here.

ill will leave this at this stage.

maybe you should contact a driving school or vicroads for clarification and post it here for all to see.
I deal with this every day, it's my job to know this.

Sadly I have to deal with peoples own version of these laws and if you ask them, none were at fault for causing the smash. Most people sat a test many years ago and have forgotten most of what they learned which would have been minimal at best.

The Rule book is quiet thick, yet I suggest everyone reads it. There is a lot in there that most road users don't know. It's scary that most out there have no idea. Well, not until it's too late anyway. They learn ignorance is not an excuse.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #68
LTDHO
The one and only

Furthermore, I understand each person has their interpretation of law/rules. Hence there are threads like this on automotive forums. IMO these are great, it allows people to discuss rules and bring more to the surface that most would not know. Personally I’d like to see more discussions and it made a sticky.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #69
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
It is not "blocked" if the section of road that you are continuing on to or turning into is clear. This rule is designed to stop cars blocking an intersection AFTER the signals have changed. This does not happen when waiting to turn right, as you will clear the intersection safely when the lights change (only if the oncoming traffic doesnt race the amber!!). It would apply if the road to the right was blocked with stationary traffic right back to your current intersection.
In fact the law is quite clear about this, section 61 in the Victorian Road Rules 2009 that talks about this

61 Proceeding when traffic lights or arrows at an intersection change to yellow or red
(1) This rule applies to -
(5) If the traffic lights or traffic arrows (as the case may be) change to yellow or red while the driver is stopped and the driver has entered the intersection, the driver must leave the intersection as soon as the driver can do so safely.