Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry New Toll Proposed on the Gateway Motorway????

MOTORISTS face being slugged with a new toll on the Gateway Motorway.

The Newman Government has confirmed it is considering an extra toll point to pay for a much-needed upgrade of the motorway's northern end.

Without federal funding for the $1.3 billion upgrade between Nudgee and the Bruce Highway, the State Government says the only alternative to more tolling would be to delay the project indefinitely.

The toll would be a blow to thousands of motorists who use the motorway daily to commute between Brisbane, Redcliffe and the Sunshine Coast.

However, it would also mean those who use the route would contribute to any upgrade.
gateway motorway

Motorists may cop an extra toll on the Gateway Motorway to pay for an upgrade to the road's northern end. Picture Damian Caniglia

Unlike the Logan Motorway, the Gateway has just a single toll point across the bridges, meaning thousands of motorists avoid payment.

The tolling franchise for the Gateway and Logan motorways was sold to Queensland Investment Corporation by the Bligh government for $3 billion.

Introducing multiple toll points to raise more money, and potentially the value of the asset, was considered before the sale but ruled out with toll increases fixed to inflation.

However, the deal excluded the degraded northern section which has been the subject of inter-governmental funding disputes for years.

In the 2009 Southeast Queensland Infrastructure plan, the project was costed at $2.6 billion and the construction timetable "subject to federal contributions".

A spokesman for Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said while Federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott had committed to the project, the Gillard Government was yet to take a position.

"If elected, the Federal Coalition has committed $1 billion towards upgrading the Gateway Motorway, therefore further tolling won't be needed," the spokesman said.

"Queensland's poor financial situation means that if federal Labor failed to match the commitment before the federal election we may need to consider further tolling or delay the project until it can be afforded."

A spokeswoman for Federal Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese said the Gateway Motorway North project was being considered.

"We're going through the right process which is that Infrastructure Australia is independently assessing the Queensland Government's proposal and we'll be guided by their advice," she said.

However, Mr Albanese's spokeswoman questioned why the Newman Government would consider placing an extra toll on the road if Mr Abbott was prepared to partly fund the upgrade if the Coalition won the federal election.

While there has been speculation about the timing of the Gateway project and other Coalition infrastructure promises in Sydney and Melbourne, Federal Opposition transport spokesman Warren Truss has insisted the Coalition remains committed.

"Our policies are fully costed and budgeted and each state government has confirmed that those timeframes meet their construction plans," he said.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226545451881

My comment "Don't we pay enough in rego????? "

Last edited by csv8; 16-01-2013 at 05:34 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Toll Proposed on the Gateway Motorway????

Another great reminder why I will not live in those heavily populated places.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Unlike the Logan Motorway, the Gateway has just a single toll point across the bridges, meaning thousands of motorists avoid payment.
What about the one in the Kuraby area? Or am I missing something?
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Luckily for me I can sit in a traffic jam for free or pay to sit in one, tough choice!
Those that travel the Gateway in even semi peak times will know how much of a carpark it becomes

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
My comment "Don't we pay enough in rego????? "
rego doesn't pay for roads.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
rego doesn't pay for roads.
they claim it does! Its a load of crock though

Taken from the Qld Government Transport site

"Motor vehicles and motorbikes travelling on Queensland roads must be registered. This enables the Department of Transport and Main Roads to identify and manage registered operators, and support the safety and security of Queensland's road transport. Registration fees also provide essential funding for the development and maintenance of our road network."

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I always thought that the northern section would be tolled eventually. Take, Take, Take.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

My issue is the fact that after, AFTER it has been paid for, they leave tge tolls in place.

When they built the story bridge, they put the tolls in until it paid for the bridge then removed them.

With the logan they left them there to milk the cow on all four teets.

Pay for it, sure but they get a look at the income and start mouth watering. It truly is government bs.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
monte.b

Dont know what you lot down there are winging about ,at least you have nice roads to drive on,try going up the goat track called the bruce highway one day and you WILL have something to wine about .We pay the same rego and get nothing in return ,im sure we would be more than happy to pay a few dollars toll to get the lovely roads you lot have down there ,Its about time you lot payed your way
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b View Post
Dont know what you lot down there are winging about ,at least you have nice roads to drive on,try going up the goat track called the bruce highway one day and you WILL have something to wine about .We pay the same rego and get nothing in return ,im sure we would be more than happy to pay a few dollars toll to get the lovely roads you lot have down there ,Its about time you lot payed your way
We do get something for our money actually.
Where do you think they put all the potholes after they fix them in Brisbane?
They send them north!!

Ed
Old 31-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
XT UTE 68
GIVIT Rally 84 BARRA XE

Don't know what monte b is talking about, the road north to maryborough and beyond is continually being upgraded, I drive it often.
XT UTE 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT UTE 68 View Post
Don't know what monte b is talking about, the road north to maryborough and beyond is continually being upgraded, I drive it often.
Its a goat track !! too many different roadworks at the same time..When its finished it will be good..but at the moment driving to Rocky from GinGin is a slow nightmare !!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
monte.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT UTE 68 View Post
It is getting better i must admit with the new section they just finished to go around the dam that they arnt going to build any more ,one good thing has come out of it i guess.I used to drive the road from here to the gold coast and back every week as i had a contract down there, some of the holes in the road after rain were huge ,kept the old steel wheels on the ute cause lots of mags broken on that road.They are now doing the Maryborough to Tin Can Bay road up and it will be very nice when finished but ive given it a miss during construction,it is a pain.The further north you go the worse the highway gets i reckon,driven to Cairns heaps of times and it never seems to improve
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

It would be a brilliant way to get lots of traffic by-passing the Gateway motorway and using Sandgate Rd again.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As if driving wasnt bad enough now i have another toll to mark off on my gps.

Thats the Coalition for you.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Gaz
Got Ghia?

thank god the govt doesn't have the balls to try a toll road in WA (yet)...
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
It would be a brilliant way to get lots of traffic by-passing the Gateway motorway and using Sandgate Rd again.
I thinking the same thing. Depends where the boneheads put the toll towers. For maximum entrapment of road users they would probably have them situated off the Bruce highway exit/entry that takes you on/off the Deagon deviation, or at Nudgee just past the servo where the bottleneck begins.

It will make for some interesting motoring along Gympie/Sandgate roads and their interconnections.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 01-01-2013 at 04:28 PM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #18
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: New Toll Proposed on the Gateway Motorway????

I dont know what the fuss is about I live near Beenleigh
if I want to go to the airport I have one toll at Kuraby and another on the gateway bridge when I went to school 1 plus 1 equalled 2 not 1
also does anyone remember there was a toll booth on the gareway near the entertainment centre no. well when the Borbage coalition govt got in they took away the toll booth too many richies I guess but when Labor got back in the southern toll booths stayed I guess labor votors in poorer areas are a captive audience
anyway thats my rant for the day bye
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #19
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane View Post
I dont know what the fuss is about I live near Beenleigh
if I want to go to the airport I have one toll at Kuraby and another on the gateway bridge when I went to school 1 plus 1 equalled 2 not 1
also does anyone remember there was a toll booth on the gareway near the entertainment centre no. well when the Borbage coalition govt got in they took away the toll booth too many richies I guess but when Labor got back in the southern toll booths stayed I guess labor votors in poorer areas are a captive audience
anyway thats my rant for the day bye
There was never a toll at or near the Entertainment Centre. You might be confusing it with the Sunshine Motorway which had a toll booth that was removed.

The Gateway has only ever had 1 toll. On the bridge itself.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

About time you nth siders pay your way,LOL. Yeah it's alright to say that the toll is to pay for the road. But like someone said the logan motorway would have been paid for a 100 times over, why don't they use that money. Or alot on here drive V8 what's going on with the extra rego they pay, you would think the government would encourage people to buy V8s. No just another way to get easy coin for the government, without the hassle of justifing another tax.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #21
D Block

Logan M'way Toll should be dropped, if only to get the trucks to use it more.
Tolls as a political weapon just ends in tears for the Gov't that tries it, and I predict that there wont be tolls on the Northern half of the Gateway. This is a game being played between the Fed Labor and State LNP.
D Block is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If this happens, as someone who travels from Sunshine Coast to Newstead in Brisbane for work, I would happily pay the $30 per week to not sit in traffic jams for 30 minutes each day. Particularly the north bound run at around 6:30PM - What a horror show that is. It usually takes about 30 minutes to get from Nudgee to the Pine Rivers Bridge (should take under 10 minutes for those out of staters).

Last edited by Nic85; 04-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
There was never a toll at or near the Entertainment Centre. You might be confusing it with the Sunshine Motorway which had a toll booth that was removed.

The Gateway has only ever had 1 toll. On the bridge itself.
No, the gateway has 2 (two) tolls, one on the bridge and one at Kuraby.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #24
MFP508

toll on the bridge is for the bridge... northside has no tolls to contend with, southside however has kuraby, then all the tolls in either direction on the logan motorway