Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
auwatty
Starter Motor

Default au series 2 running sick

went to start car to go up he shops it backfired started next go but it is now running real rough in idle when driving it feels fine it is dedicated gas any ideas newbie to new cars always owned older ones. never had gas before.
thanks in advance wayne

auwatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: au series 2 running sick

i believe the the gas cars have a rubber bung or something in the air box so when it back fires it blows this out and if you dont replace it creates rough running maybe check that first
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

It's probably blown off a vacuum line somewhere. Get under the bonnet and have a look.
I remember many years ago when this happened to me in an AUII dedicated gas, I had a massive backfire. It blew up the airbox, the rubber hoses back to the throttle body and blew a hole in the bonnet insulation.
Biggest problem was it was sucking all the insulation material into the engine - basically the worst outcome for a backfire.
Hopefully this wont be the case.

What usually happens is the leads begin to track and they end up shorting the windings on the towers of the coil pack. In the majority of case it will be plugs, leads and coil pack.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bad backfire can destroy the MAP sensor. is it factory gas or dual fuel? there is no bung as mentioned above there are spring loaded airbox clips that release the pressure from a backfire. if your car doesn't have these spring loaded clips (often the case with aftermarket gas) a backfire will do damage.
with gas you have to be sure your ignition components are A or you will get backfires. in my experience the best leads for a gas I6 are genuine ford leads and what ever you do don't even think about top gun leads

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

these are the spring loaded clips http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALC...item3cce54b38f

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
auwatty
Starter Motor

when putting the car in drive or reverse it has a real bad vibration even more evident when putting foot on brake.
wayne
auwatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how old are leads/coil pack, spark plugs, gas equipment/ or when was the last proper tune up?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

You've definitely got a vacuum leak somewhere. Also follow the vacuum line to the top of the engine at the front and check the valve that is fitted in the top of your rocker cover, if it's a plastic one it may have died. If it has, you need to replace it with a metal one so it won't break next time the car backfires, actually, replace it anyway as preventative maintenance before it breaks.

As others have said, your ignition system needs to be spot on or you'll have issues. Contrary to what au3xr6 says, I did a back to back test on my Fairlane with factory leads and Eagle leads and I can tell you the Eagle leads were much better and gave definite measurable performance gains over factory ones. Here's a LINK to the leads I tested and use and remember, whatever you do avoid Top Gun leads at all costs.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder bushy if there`s any value in running the gas leads on a non gas vehicle, if memory serves gas leads run a bit less resistance than the standards?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Hi Mic, I'd say regardless of the engine, any lead that has less resistance has got to be better in all circumstances as they will always give a better spark and as we all know, a bigger spark gets a better bang and a better bang gives better burn and better burn gives MORE POWER!! oog oog oog oog oog

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post