Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Default AU Electrical / Wiring

Hey Guys,

I have come to you, in search of some genuine expertise..

I have some sticky questions, which may lead to stickier follow up questions..

So here goes:
Are the electrical systems in AU (Series 1, 2 & 3) falcons, fairmonts, XR's, I6's and V8, etc physically the same, just with different ancilleries, Ie, speedo, ecu, bcm, etc or are the looms entirely different?

Reason being is i have been hunting for a full V8 loom for a little while for a project.. But am starting to run out of patience, and the few that have popped up have been beyond my budget, but I am hoping to perhaps use a loom from a lower/more common model and just use the appropriate ancilleries for my project..

Any info or comments are muchly appreciated..

Cheers,
Nik

ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU Electrical / Wiring

series one is different

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
tim_pato

as stated by au3xr6 s1 looms,bcm & ecu will only work with s1. as far as fairmont xr falcon i6 and 8 cyl there are slight differences. perhaps if you indulge us with more info? what are you building, what series. also ute/sedan/wagon?
Old 17-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Ah cool thanks for the replies guys..

Ok so here's the story..

I have an ED falcon, which I recently converted to V8, but due to differences/issues with the existing loom and the V8 loom I opted to completely gut the ED Futura Loom and install the EB2 Fairmont loom, from headlight to taillights.. All sweet, no problem..

But.. I am wanting to fit an AU V8 motor (What series, I dont know but sounds like series 2 and 3 are the go), and was looking at doing another full re-loom of the car with an AU loom.. I already have a AU Series 3 T5 GEARBOX and XR8 ECU..

Cheers,
Nik
Old 17-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
tim_pato

well thats a whole other can of worms. have you asked in the e series thread? otherwise try fordmods.com
Old 17-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are mobs that actually do a speciality loom for retrofitting you just need to flash the ECU to turn off smartshield. here is one he hasn't got an AU listed but I have seen him list them before so just ask him
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-BA-B...item3cb11cc1f5

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Cool thanks guys.. I will take your advice onboard..

I dont wish to use a loom adapter or any of that jazz.. Basically if i do it i will be fully rewiring the entire car with an AU loom.. By the sounds of it any old loom will do but i will need appropriate accessories..

Cheers,
Nik
Old 19-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_pato View Post
as stated by au3xr6 s1 looms,bcm & ecu will only work with s1.
Maybe. I doubt that it's that clear-cut. Sure the wiring plugs on the loom differ from series 1 to 2/3. And Smartlock ECU's and BEM's don't interchange with Smartshield items. But all the AU ECU's are 104-pin.

But I need to be convinced, by someone who has actually tried it, that a series 1 Smartshield ECU can't be married to a series 2/3 BEM or vice versa.

That may well be the case for the I6's due to the plethora of different hardware modules used... see list here

... but that list also shows that throughout the entire life of the AU, the V8's used only 2 different hardware modules, coded ETV-722 and ETV-723.

ETV-722 correlates to early series 1 catch codes, so would be a Smartlock ECU. ETV-723 would therefore be the Smartshield ECU's and would logically have to be compatible with all Smartshield BEM's in series 1, 2 and 3.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Hi guys,

Just me back again to pick your brains again..

I have sourced a AU Series 3 XR8 Pursuit Ute which I have struck a deal up with the owner to take everything I need for me ED for a set figure..

What I now need off you guys hopefully is a list of everything I should ensure I get off this rig..

Pretty obvious:

ENGINE WITH ALL ACCESSORIES
ECU
FULL WIRING LOOM (HEADLIGHTS TO TAILLIGHTS) DASH LOOM, ENGINE LOOM, DOOR LOOMS..
BEM?
SPEEDO CLUSTER
IGNITION BARREL

I am also considering seeing how much he wants for the entire car, but have a feeling that might get too rich for little benefit to me..

Cheers,
Nik
Old 06-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
BHDOGS
Banned

grab the au fuse box aswell just unscrews
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Thanks BHDoggs.. I went and saw him and paid a deposit to day.. Struck up a deal where by he is going to supply engine, and full electrical system including all accessories.. Basically if it has a plug or connects to the electrical system its included.. Plus he is going to give me free acces to it once he take all the other pre-sold gear off it..

Cheers,
Nik