Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #61
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Breaking news: Next-gen Holden Commodore is go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
A rising tide lifts all ships.

I think VF will be a positive, Falcon and Commodore are linked at the hip - any interest in the large car market will help Falcon. Especially if there is a bit of sticker shock which will send some prospective buyers to the local Ford dealer.

Large cars have a bit of an image problem, the new Commodore will help that and Falcon will benefit.
This was the sentiment Holden expressed when the FG was released and it didn't really pan out like that.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #62
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
This was the sentiment Holden expressed when the FG was released and it didn't really pan out like that.
But FG really brought nothing to the game to get people into large cars again. As great as it is, it just kept doing what the BF was doing - it even looked the same.

If FG had a diesel at launch that would have been a game changer for the segment.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #63
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Breaking down: Next-gen Holden Commodore is go
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #64
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
So Holden say there will be a Commodore post 2016 (that will most probably be based on a FWD platform) and their suddenly saints?

If Ford did the same thing most of AFF would lose their s***!!

What gives?

This is just a smoke screen...damage control, to try and get as many VF sales as possible.
The VF will grind the FG into the ground sales wise without trying.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #65
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
The VF will grind the FG into the ground sales wise without trying.
It will be interesting to see what this does to Commodore sales for the next 6 months & then what happens after that.. And also interesting to see what this cars does to Falcon sales for the next 18 months...
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #66
BroadyFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
It will be interesting to see what this does to Commodore sales for the next 6 months & then what happens after that.. And also interesting to see what this cars does to Falcon sales for the next 18 months...
If I were a betting man I would say 500-1000 Falcon sales per month maximum by the end of the year.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #67
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
But FG really brought nothing to the game to get people into large cars again. As great as it is, it just kept doing what the BF was doing - it even looked the same.

If FG had a diesel at launch that would have been a game changer for the segment.
Well...VF doesn't have a diesel either? Fundamentally it is "just" a styling change and feature/tech upgrade.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 10-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #68
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Well...VF doesn't have a diesel either? Fundamentally it is "just" a styling change and feature/tech upgrade.
While I doubt the VF does have a diesel, there's been no confirmation of powertrains, has there?
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #69
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The success or otherwise of VF Commodore does not necessarily mean that FGII will suffer huge losses,
that depends on how Ford presents Falcon this year and if anything, attractive discounts could keep interest there.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #70
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Discounts and special editions/dealer specials should maintain some interest, the low sales of January that people keep harping on about with claims of "the Falcon is dead" ignores the fact that the plant was shut until 14 Jan and Falcons are build to order anyway. Besides, it's not like people cross shop Commodore and Falcon.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #71
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Design View Post
Holden have said they're committed to making the Commodore beyond 2016, that's all they need to say to keep the faithful happy. People will continue to buy your product if they see it has a future, not If it's on life support. It's the best possible start they could have given the VF. We can only hope Ford do something similar soon.
well ill say one thing...your easy to please...all you need is holden to tell you they r building a car 5 years from now and your sold. Too bad if the competition has and sells a much better car....just as the case with the recent fords being ALOT better then the holden offerings. Your happy to buy inferior products simply because they have bigger and quicker media budget.

This may be good news for large cars in Australia...BUT ILL STILL PUT MY MONEY ON FORD HAVING A SUPERIOUR PRODUCT....AS THEY HAVE FOR 10 YEARS NOW
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #72
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
They have to, VF will have self parking option like Focus...

On topic,

a 2017 Commodore based on Alpha is becoming a real possibility,
Autoblog have snapped the new larger Alpha based caddy CTS.
This could be the basis for the next gen Commodore and Chevrolet SS.
LINK
The car will come with V6 and V8 engines as well as a 2.0 DI Turbo I-4.....

IMO this is a terrible looking rear end. Looks like CHERRY motors had a crack before the GM badges went on
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #73
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

i would have thought the ECO LPI was`nt a bad attempt, the same for eco boost.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #74
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
IMO this is a terrible looking rear end. Looks like CHERRY motors had a crack before the GM badges went on
Ignore the Cadillac sheet metal and see the future Commodore framing beneath..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #75
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
My guess is they got the commitment out of the Liberals they have been angling for lately. That was enough to green light the project and for the CEO to get on top of the "Commodore is dead" stories that will and do hurt the brand.
Yeah... they were making noises earlier that their future here is undecided because of the opposition.

I guess now the Libs have alleviated their concerns, They can boast about a new Commodore.

I think even the rubbish about a confirmed cancellation of the Commodore was just an effort by GM to force Ford to show their hand. Well who has the most will power?
Old 11-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #76
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbs View Post
Sure people are changing there buying habits and going to smaller cars but if someone was in the market for a commodore or falcon and they have in there mind that the falcon isn't going to be around for much longer do you not think that it would go to the bottom of the list.
Interestingly I have a friend who bought a 380 new and sold it for more 6 months later.

A formal statement of end of the line for Falcon might see increased transaction prices.
A formal statement of a new upcoming model might see sales drop. In my case I buy every 5-10 years, If I am shopping in year 6 and find out a significantly changed model is coming out in year 9, I will delay the purchase.

The 4 year announcement is for fleet buyers, and Holden announcing plans for 2017 caters to them.
Ford not announcing plans may just demonstrate that they are targeting me, the private buyer, not the Fleet/UserChooser.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #77
Agile

I am confused. I know its not hard but. How is it that Holdens, a minor arm of GM in America, can be in such a position as to dominate big car sales in Aus. GM were teetering on the edge of bankrupcay and recieved a cargo ship full of cash from the US gov to stay operational 5 years ago.
Ford Aus. is the same almost. Tiny part of Ford empire, except Ford US never got a cent of bailout and traded out of the dismal situation and has since moved on with no massive debt to the US Gov. Correct?

Holden have a platform that can be manufactured left and right hook and is about to , probably , export LARGE numbers [compared to FoA] of BIGGISH rear wheel drive cars to overseas markets aswell as sell to the local market.

Ford have, until now, got a superior car in ever field [except for left hook] yet have terrible sales. EcoBoost has to be a winner, Holden even think so, they are already saying the next Com will be a 4 pot. Ford have the LPI I6.Has to be a good thing, even with the stupid spare wheel situation [ stick a space saver in there somewhere]

And yet the market are still not buying Falcon. I have to admit I am not in the market for a sedan, I'm a Territory wanabee.

Second. Why go small if you want a sedan. Serious. I have sat in the back of Corollas, Mazda's,etc,etc and they are crap. They are not a family car. The EcoBoost seems like the perfect package. Yet doesn't sell. Why go front wheel drive? What is the advantage? No trans tunnel? Why would Holden be flagging FWD for the next Com and will Falcon go the same way?

As I said, I dont get it. I cant see FWD big cars selling over RWD.
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #78
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agile..it all gets back to marketing!!! Holden has a much better marketing dept than Ford. They are good at spinning the bs !!
Holden has a 40% increase in the VF marketing budget. Ford's marketing needs to come out swinging !!ASAP!! or its the last worker out..turn off the lights....
Old 11-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #79
blk6t

What Holden have done with the VF is exactly what it needed...fresh modern global looks (not just based on Aussie market trends), packed it with gadgets and modern tech which is what people are after this day in age...yes Falcon has better engines, gearboxes etc yet it still trails behind...

Holden are not competing with the Falcon anymore....and Ford needs to do the same with the Falcon.

Plus now confirming future Commodore models and production in Australia is just adding to the hype and hopefully going to fuel interest back into the Commodore products.

Holden are coming out very aggressively and it's what they need to do...