Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford US Mulling Uni-Body US Ranger Replacement - Lifeline for Falcon Ute?

Spotted this on Autoblog this morning, it doesn't mention the falcon but it talks about a significantly smaller package than the World Ranger:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/18/f...r-replacement/

And this from pickuptrucks.com:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/02...yers-gone.html

Shows that although Ford are partially right in that some people have deserted the small pickup market for alternative low cost transport, the rest of them have migrated over to Toyota....

Old 20-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

Default Re: Ford US Mulling Uni-Body US Ranger Replacement - Lifeline for Falcon Ute?

send them over some FGs with ecoboost fitted. That should sort them out.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Ford US Mulling Uni-Body US Ranger Replacement - Lifeline for Falcon Ute?

I started reading that and a big red flag came up when they mentioned price.

You also have to consider some form of naturally aspirated 4 cylinder if you want entry level.

There had been some rumours floating around of a D3 based pickup but it was more often then not also related to a new Explorer Sport Trac etc.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
There had been some rumours floating around of a D3 based pickup but it was more often then not also related to a new Explorer Sport Trac etc.
Yes I seem to recall that. AWD would be a requirement as well (or at least the availability of it)

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they get a vehicle more along the lines of a FWD/AWD Transit Connect Ute. But I bet Ford AU will once again try to flog the concept of a Falcon Ute to teh US to no avail...
Old 20-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Something like a new Bantam based on the Transit Connect might work.

I don't think Falcon ute really makes sense without Falcon. They will want to be selling 50K+ units a year as well or at least have that capacity.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001 View Post
But I bet Ford AU will once again try to flog the concept of a Falcon Ute to teh US to no avail...
But did this even happen? Such a vehicle would need to have a very flexible platform architecture to support AWD, as well as 1 tonne payload, 2 tonne towing and probably a dual cab option as well

IMO a Territory based ute would probably make more sense, for the US market anyway because it can support all those things and there is no vehicle already in the range to clash with it. But they have the D3 based Explorer that can support all these variations anyway...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

This user likes this post:
Old 20-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon that they should manufacture the Falc Ute there (and here)
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The vehicle Ford NA was after was a Ford Courier/Bantam, basically the Fiesta based Ute that was produced in South Africa until late 2011.
They're after something that's smaller than Ranger and can be sold for around $15,000 to $20,000.

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The vehicle Ford NA was after was a Ford Courier/Bantam, basically the Fiesta based Ute that was produced in South Africa until late 2011.
They're after something that's smaller than Ranger and can be sold for around $15,000 to $20,000.

I like the simplicity of that (Bantam/Courier)
They still have it on Ford's Brazillian website, can anybody confirm if it is still being manufactured there?
Either way, we should be tasked with development seeing as a)we invented the ute b) we did such a great job with T6
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
They still have it on Ford's Brazillian website, can anybody confirm if it is still being manufactured there?
Either way, we should be tasked with development seeing as a)we invented the ute b) we did such a great job with T6
Yep, base it on Ecosport FWD and AWD in single and double Cab...
Old 20-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Yes I seem to recall that. AWD would be a requirement as well (or at least the availability of it)
Whereas that makes me think Territory ute.

Ecoboost 4 & 6' + v6 Deisel. RWD & AWD its to big really, but would be cool.
Old 20-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
xr6turbo270kw

I hear falcon ute may be in trouble with no 5 star rating with no side airbags. Which 5 star will be mandatory 2015. So maybe no fu ute.
xr6turbo270kw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turbo270kw View Post
I hear falcon ute may be in trouble with no 5 star rating with no side airbags. Which 5 star will be mandatory 2015. So maybe no fu ute.
Fairly sure FG ute is now 5 stars.
Old 20-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its already 5 stars
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yep, side airbags as standard.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
Whereas that makes me think Territory ute.

Ecoboost 4 & 6' + v6 Deisel. RWD & AWD its to big really, but would be cool.
I guess I'm thinking from Dearborn's perspective, using D3/Explorer as a base would mean it already uses corporate engines, is LHD etc.

But yes a dual cab "lifestyle" ute built off the Territory's platform would be kinda cool.

Old 22-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

A hack job on a Transit Connect seems more likely. They've already said the US Ranger was replaced by the Transit Connect and the F-150.
Old 23-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
A hack job on a Transit Connect seems more likely. They've already said the US Ranger was replaced by the Transit Connect and the F-150.
The huge reduction in Mid Sized Truck sales away From Ranger certainly didn't go to competitors,
most buyers now own mid sized Utilities (For Aussies, that's SUVs and Crossovers) or other vehicles.

At the start of T6 design, Ford NA wanted Ranger to be a much smaller vehicle for their US needs
but tht vehicle wouldn't fit under the product envelope. I suspect that Ford NA wanted a small Courier..
Old 23-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #20
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Chevrolet South America have the Montana

Volkswagen South America have the Saveiro

Something similar from Ford would be great.
Old 23-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Whats the go with them having vents in the tray sides?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Whats the go with them having vents in the tray sides?
lol

They're not vents they are steps. Somewhere to stick your foot to reach onto the roof or into the tray.

Old 26-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Old 26-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Chevrolet South America have the Montana

Volkswagen South America have the Saveiro

image image

Something similar from Ford would be great.
I remember something similar being built in Australia.

Oh yeah... the RTV.
Old 26-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Interesting article to throw into the discussion...

http://jalopnik.com/ford-might-creat...ment-296497003

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford bantam Ute, used to be sold in South Africa - based on last Fiesta.