Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
josem

Default Is Focus bumper ABS or polypropylene? What Glue to use ?

Hi, My car is a 2011 ford focus. I have a very small chip to my front bumper. No holes, just need to connect 2 vertical pieces together. This are part of the semi flexible molded plastic bumper and not the rigid plastic part you find on the grille. I went to bunnings and most of the super glues and araldite have warnings that you cannot use it for most plastics like PTFE, polyethylene and polypropylene. I am guessing that the bumper bars of newer cars are now polypropylene (PP). Anyone out there have any experience in gluing small broken parts in their plastic bumpers together I want to hear your experience. I don't need any backing material as it is not a hole. Thanks everyone in advance.

josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is Focus bumper ABS or polypropylene? What Glue to use ?

the official way is to "weld" them by heating but it needs the correct temp. I have had no luck with glue
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
josem

Thanks marg99 for your reply. The smash repairer did say the proper remedy is to plastic weld it but he is charging me $700 for it. It is almost the price for a new bumper plus labor to put it on.
I noticed that the bumper plastic material behind the paint is coloured white. Most ABS plastic is black. It might be ordinary white plastic. I might try a small portion with super glue.
josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

You could try roughing up the surface on the underside of the bar and using a fibreglass repair kit, there's not much it won't stick to and by using the fibre cloth it will give it extra strength as well, might be worth a try first considering the price of the options. I would also recommend trying to find an independent plastic welder / repairer, $700 to repair a crack seems a bit steep but I suppose that would probably involve repairing and respraying so it's probably about right
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post