Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Earliest memory

We have to be careful here, because as newborns, our brain is incapable of stringing together a coherent timeline based memory.
My x wife and I, were having a conversation with our 3 year old daughter (soon to be 27 = wow) and we were talking about things and stuff, like when she was born. She was saying how mummy was there and it was bright and doctor ******, was there and was loud. (It was a tricky birth, and I wasn't there).
Ask my girl now, and she doesn't remember it at all.
My first memory (and I cling to it, because I first explained it to my parents surprise when I was around 10), without any prompting was this...
I was in a dark room, in my Mums parents flat, there was a party in the next room, in Liverpool England. My brother , who I obviously recognised, because I'd spent the previous six months of my life in his company, came in to the room, he was somewhat less than 2 years old. I was in one of those old style 4 wheel prams. He grabbed onto the handle bars and - flip - I ended up on the floor.
I remember Mum picking me up, my brother crying, being carried in to the party room (must have been a great party), seeing faces - coo coos etc. I wasn't that badly hurt obviously.
Clear as day, even though it was night (I knew that much).

2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Earliest memory

I noticed when my eldest girl was growing up how many childhood flashbacks I had. Sitting with her and playing with toys, drawing with chalk, playing in the park, taking her to kindy all bought back lots of memories.

It was really great.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can remember vivid flashes of when I was two. Random things like waiting at he front gate for my sister to come home from school, various toys, my father getting bull ants down his pants whilst working on the car. Lots of memories. I have one memory which would be my earliest, my mother tells me I was around one as we moved out of that house shortly after my birthday. I took a tumble down the steps of a two story house in one of those baby walker things.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

3 years old, digging up the back yard and dad yelled at me.
5, sword fighting with my brother and he walked into a fish tank that sliced his leg open.
Those two are very vivid, everything else up to about 8yo is too blurred to recall.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lying up on rear parcel shelf of old boys HT Holden.. rolling down onto backseat..

much lols when old boy cottoned onto the fun and slammed those big drums on and i rolled down via bounce on seat onto floor..

not lols big belted *** i copped..

he couldnt yell at me sit down put seatbelt on.. there were none..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
We have to be careful here, because as newborns, our brain is incapable of stringing together a coherent timeline based memory.
My x wife and I, were having a conversation with our 3 year old daughter (soon to be 27 = wow) and we were talking about things and stuff, like when she was born. She was saying how mummy was there and it was bright and doctor ******, was there and was loud. (It was a tricky birth, and I wasn't there).
Ask my girl now, and she doesn't remember it at all.
My first memory (and I cling to it, because I first explained it to my parents surprise when I was around 10), without any prompting was this...
I was in a dark room, in my Mums parents flat, there was a party in the next room, in Liverpool England. My brother , who I obviously recognised, because I'd spent the previous six months of my life in his company, came in to the room, he was somewhat less than 2 years old. I was in one of those old style 4 wheel prams. He grabbed onto the handle bars and - flip - I ended up on the floor.
I remember Mum picking me up, my brother crying, being carried in to the party room (must have been a great party), seeing faces - coo coos etc. I wasn't that badly hurt obviously.
Clear as day, even though it was night (I knew that much).
1956 xmas '57 coming around the bottom corner into our street in Castlecliff (Whanganui NZ) in the Family Model A ( side valve v8 powered) and the sound of it being pushed as the old fella showed off (smell tyre smoke) . I musta been two almost three is the first memory I really can find
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most kids can remember most stuff once they are over the age of 10

Some kids will have vague memories of stuff before then, but the memories can be clouded by others recollections or by photo's
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
AU Mont
Banned

cmon man........ you can remember being a baby in a pram........ your daughter remembered being born?

as if, its not possible
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

2 years old, driving from Bundaberg to Sydney as my parents had moved down there for work and only having a 2 seater car at the time my Brother and I couldn't go down with them at the same time. So my uncle drove us down. Wet myself in his car

Don't worry chaps, it was a commodore
Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Going to the b&s ball with dad and coming home with mum!
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Watching Dad replace the rear leaf springs in our XD wagon. Would've been about 4.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make of it what you will.

First memory is being held by great Grand mother when first home from hospital, her voice and the sun shining brightly in my eyes. possibly clouded by picture of that moment.

Next memory, 1960 travelling from Canberra to the south coast NSW (Tomakin) many times and especially the the car punt to cross the Clyde river. I have most memories from aged 2 1/2.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

My second birthday laying in the cot and unwrapping a greyhound bus toy handed to me from my nanna...

My 3rd birthday when my mum had an icecream cake made as a duplicate of an plastic ocean liner toy boat i also had frogs in the pond for the first time (freddo's in jelly) and i remember a kid at the party trying to steal my John Player Special Formula One car

And also the thunderstorms and lightening from 1974
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I remember having a pic taken outside our place in Sydney when I was 2. I found this out long time later from a date on the pic March 1955. I remember vividly standing outside Crown St Women's hospital in 1956 and my Mum did a Michael Jackson with my Sister (put her out the window while holding) and me saying not to drop her, (silly me)

The next one I DO remember well is going to Melbourne with my Dad in 1958 on the train. I remember my Dad carrying me most of the way at Albury Station to catch the train into Melbourne.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember some brute of a man, all dressed in white, surrounded by a mob of women, pulling me out of a nice warm secluded spot and slapping my backside.

lucky for him that he was wearing a mask because if ever I find him, I'm gonna pull his nose something chronic!

Yeah! I remember the parcel shelf in the back of the holden.......I was a loaf of bread in those days.

riding a sheet of iron down the face of an quarry with the front folded up, getting pushed down a hill on a home made billy cart and no brakes, smoking pieces of cane in our fort, my first, ummm! kiss with willywog ryans sister under the hedge at the playground, birth's of our children, birth's of our grandchildren, sons marriage.

so many memories, hard to pick the first but I wouldn't change any of them.

but that bloke in white wants to watch himself.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my earliest memories is car related.

I can remember the red vinyl/fake leather interior of the Hillman Super Minx my parents had at the time I was born up until I was about four in 1969. I then vividly remember waiting out the front verandah about 5.30pm waiting for dad to come home from work while mum was inside making dinner...ah, the days when the economy meant that single income families were normal, when kids didn't come home to an empty house after school. This was 1970 and I was five years old.

Anyway, I was waiting, and waiting...dad was late. I remember asking mum why he was late, and she just smiled and said he was coming home with a surprise.
Then a white car pulled into the driveway, and not the white Hillman Super Minx. It was a brand shiny new Mazda Capella sedan!!
I then remember in 1974 being in Skinners Mazda showroom in Nambour, looking at another new Mazda. I really wanted dad to buy a shiny red little 808 wagon that was sitting in the window in pride of place (and for some reason I specifically remember the little chrome rail that ran along inside each rear window...), but they decided that we were doing so much travelling to Bundy to see grandma and up to Innisfail to see other family that something bigger was the go.
So we came home with a top of the line 929 wagon, factory air con, stereo radio cassette with AM and FM (whatever "FM" was...), white interior...and purple in colour. Awesome.

Guess that's what breeds a car nut...your earliest memories and ones that stick with you all these years later are car related...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
wookie836
Highway wanderer

I can remember a few early things, but one of the earliest thats clear as day was moments before i had a operation to remove my baby teeth when i was about 3 or 4, being carried by a nurse into these aisles with rows of boxes. when we stopped she said she heard a hornet buzzing around and getting me to look for it, trying to distract me when she stuck me with the needle and calmed me down a bit from the 'sting'. ha well played.
I still can remember some dreams and nightmares i had when i was quite young aswell.

I think it has to do with you remembering them again and again as you grow up, use it or lose it imo.
wookie836 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I remember going on my first snowy trip when I was 3 ... tobbogin (sp?) went under the fence and through the car park ... with me on it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My earliest memory is from when I was 22 months old, it's very cloudy, but I was sitting on the floor in the kitchen with a carton of eggs smashing each one on the tiles and mixing milo through them. I mentioned this for the first time to mum when I was 16 and she remembered the same thing. Fun times in 1988...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
homegrown
hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
cmon man........ you can remember being a baby in a pram........ your daughter remembered being born?

as if, its not possible
I cant remember what my wife asked me 5 minutes ago but I can remember the colours of my 1st pram. Actually remember alot from a really young age as young as 2. Did have a bit of tragic childhood with step dads which might explain it. But not surprised with what some people can remember on this thread.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #21
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

My first memory is funnily enough is from when i was 2 and i was riding in the back of my uncles 'mercedes red' xc gs falcon
Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember heaps of stuff from when I was less than 10. Some of it I'm not exactly sure how old I was.
Youngest memories where I am sure of my age was when I was 4, before and after my heart operation. I remember laying on the hospital bed just before they put me to sleep. I remember waking up as the bed was being pushed down a corridor back to my hospital room.
I remember so many things from that week.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #23
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

A kid that alerts to German military marches, the Junkers and paratroops. 4-6yo.

Personally; as a 3yo (1966) asking Joy why she ran over and killed our dog "Inky" (stupid thing was a tyre biter, this time did the whole loop, ran away back to house yelping before dropping stone dead). Don't remember her being very upset, apparently was.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems like it's age 3 for most, I'm the same. I remember numerous moments from that age.

The way I know that I was that age is due to the year these things happened. For example I remember some moments before and during the time my family's old house had extension built, and that was the year I turned 3.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #25
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i think my earliest memories (or memories of memories) are from the age of 4

i remember watching moff in the xa coupe - which was late 73 (almost 4 and a half)
i remember barracking for st kilda as my mum did and my father trying in vain to change me to footscray - one day he brought home a footscray jumper, so the st kilda beanie got flicked

i remember my hate for holden at this time too. i remember sitting in the back seat of the family volksy (oval rear window) travelling down boundary road in braeside. we went passed an ht style monaro coupe and even at that age i didn't like the female driver because of her car. the next thing i remember is my mum standing at the drivers door covered in blood pleading for me to get out. the volksy was caught by a gust of wind, clipped a truck, flew through the air into a ditch (now a service road . . . k mart/coles warehouse area), and rolled through the air multiples times before coming to rest by a pole. that nice lady in the monaro that i used to hate took us home
our next door neighbour took my mum to the doctors while her 2 year old slept on our couch
i remember later on telling my old man that i was sitting on the back seat the whole time, and he telling me i could not have been and was getting thrown around (without a seat belt). i guess he was right. i have never had any recollection of the accident itself
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #26
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, what a extraordinary memory. Glad you are still here to tell it and that everyone was hopefully okay in the end. A lot of our early memories seem to focus on drama of some sort, not necessarily bad ones.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Went on a family trip to Europe, was sitting on grans lap at the window and watching the sun reflecting off the wing of the plane and thinking how wonderful it was.

I was 2. Don't remember anything else till I was 5 or 6.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #28
xbxd351

Believe it or not my earliest memory is of driving. When I was 3 I decided to jump in my grandfathers holden ute (possibly a hq) which was parked in the backyard and start it up (keys were left in ignition ). I'm guessing it was a manual as it took off straight away and went over a little wire garden fence and bumped into my grandmothers canary cages that were lined up along the wooden backyard fence. The little wire fence got all tangled up underneath the ute and I can remember my grandfather and some other men trying to untangle it I have verified this memory with my mum and grandparents and it's the only clear memory I have from those early years.
xbxd351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post