Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Default Headlight issue

Hi Guys.

I'll try and keep this one short :P
Roughly about 10 months ago I replaced both of the H4 globes and upgraded to a better pair of globes.
Pretty sure it was the Philips Blue Vision.
About 4-6 months later the RHS low beam dies.
Didn't think much of it so replaced with the Philips Crystal Vision and generally hope that there wouldn't be any issues, then once again, 4-6 months of usage the RHS low beam dies again..

Thought I'd ask if anyone has had a similar problem before and what it could be?

Replacing the globes constantly isn't very fun lol

JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Rambunctious

Default Re: Headlight issue

I don't know if it is true but I was told not to handle the globes with bare hands, use gloves or rag.
Someone may confirm or discredit this.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

No ... it's more a case of upgraded globes using a much thinner filament ... and they fail considerably more quickly ... they have a much shorter lifespan than a standard/longlife globe.

It's a common issue .... do you drive with lowbeam on all the time (like i do ... day or night???) I get about 6 months out of a set of Narva +50s ... less for the Phillips stuff.

There apparently are a few new ones out now that are using stabilisers inside the globe to prevent this from causing premature failure. I think the Narva +90s or are they +100s now ... have these ... and the IPF Fatboy 4x41's use them as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Thanks for the replies so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambunctious
I don't know if it is true but I was told not to handle the globes with bare hands, use gloves or rag.
Someone may confirm or discredit this.
The previous set were installed with gloves at all times but installed pretty rough so figured that could of reduced the lifespan.
The current pair were installed perfectly.
This is why I thought something isn't right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
No ... it's more a case of upgraded globes using a much thinner filament ... and they fail considerably more quickly ... they have a much shorter lifespan than a standard/longlife globe.

It's a common issue .... do you drive with lowbeam on all the time (like i do ... day or night???) I get about 6 months out of a set of Narva +50s ... less for the Phillips stuff.

There apparently are a few new ones out now that are using stabilisers inside the globe to prevent this from causing premature failure. I think the Narva +90s or are they +100s now ... have these ... and the IPF Fatboy 4x41's use them as well.
Oh really?
This is something I never really knew about.
I wouldn't say I drive with them all day, but I do tend to have the lights on before it gets dark before other cars and in the mornings to when I don't really need them on (unless if it's incredibly sunny)

I also do lots of night driving so maybe there is something to it with what you're saying?

For example if I was to purchase Narva branded globes then I'd want to look at the ones which says plus 90 or 100?
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/h4
Don't know a whole heap about the globes sorry
Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I just run the +50s ... as they are still affordable as I replace them often-ish ... and give decent output for the price.

I may give the 100s a try soon though ... G6ET Spot had a good Narva Press Release link for the new ones ... he's used the 24V ones in trucks when he used to drive as well ... and swore by them ... can only use the 12V ones in cars though.

Will see if i can dig it up and post it.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
I just run the +50s ... as they are still affordable as I replace them often-ish ... and give decent output for the price.

I may give the 100s a try soon though ... G6ET Spot had a good Narva Press Release link for the new ones ... he's used the 24V ones in trucks when he used to drive as well ... and swore by them ... can only use the 12V ones in cars though.

Will see if i can dig it up and post it.
I can see why you use the +50s now.
Will most likely just get something cheaper as it's hard to justify paying $100 for globes every 6 months.

That would be great thanks
Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Yeah ... the +50s around about $24 a pair from memory for the H4s.
Not the pretty blue that some people love ... but affordable for better light output.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Hahahahhaaha ... I found it ... in my own build thread.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...&postcount=593

Good info from Dave.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

That's much better than paying $100
How many hours do you get out of your globes for example in comparision?

Thanks for the link
Old 06-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

well ... it's close to 6 months.
BUT ... as soon as I turn the car on ... I turn my lowbeam on.
So ... one job is just to and from the office ... about an hour a day all up.
The other job is courier work ... stop-start ... I am out on the road for at least 8 hours a day around Sydney metro ... most of that is with headlights on. 2-3 days a week
Old 06-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Yeah I don't think I do as much driving with the low beam on.
I do lot's of country driving which invovles low beam.
Would the vibrations of constant country driving affect the lifespan of a globe?

Though i'd ask the stupid questions lol
Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

When I was living more rural .. the roads weren't as smooth I guess .... but also I am finding in metro that road condition is very hit and miss.

Some of the roads are being fixed here and there ... but there's still a hell of a lot of holes and undulations ... and patches.

I really haven't had much difference to lifespan change really since coming back into an urban area. Got more chance of bending a rim (like i recently did) in suburbia than I did out in rural areas ... I'd say there's more chance of globes blowing due to hitting potholes in suburbia than out in the country ... depends on the road condition ... and what size rim/tyre you are on as well.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes all globes are not created equal for sure, i have a set +90`s at the moment, been in about 4 months, but not doing a lot of k`s at the moment., keep a spare set in the garage, it`s pretty much a given i think the higher performance the globe the shorter the life, the same even goes for household filament type globes,
the not touching the glass on the halogen globe thing, i believe it is oil from your finger tips causes the globe to blow.....don`t ask me why, my only guess is the oil causes a tempreture difference in the glass, if you accidentally touch the glass you need to wipe it with methylated spirits.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
When I was living more rural .. the roads weren't as smooth I guess .... but also I am finding in metro that road condition is very hit and miss.

Some of the roads are being fixed here and there ... but there's still a hell of a lot of holes and undulations ... and patches.

I really haven't had much difference to lifespan change really since coming back into an urban area. Got more chance of bending a rim (like i recently did) in suburbia than I did out in rural areas ... I'd say there's more chance of globes blowing due to hitting potholes in suburbia than out in the country ... depends on the road condition ... and what size rim/tyre you are on as well.
Thanks for the general summary.
Yeah I don't think it's from my country driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
yes all globes are not created equal for sure, i have a set +90`s at the moment, been in about 4 months, but not doing a lot of k`s at the moment., keep a spare set in the garage, it`s pretty much a given i think the higher performance the globe the shorter the life, the same even goes for household filament type globes,
the not touching the glass on the halogen globe thing, i believe it is oil from your finger tips causes the globe to blow.....don`t ask me why, my only guess is the oil causes a tempreture difference in the glass, if you accidentally touch the glass you need to wipe it with methylated spirits.
I can see the theory of the shorter lifespan of a more powerful globe.
It's pretty helpful actually for my next purchase thanks

Yep made sure that I never touched the glass on the globe
Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

j0nni, is your car lowered with lower profile tyres?
i've often found that cars that ride harsh rattle the filaments out of the bulbs
Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
Pavey

I'm on my third set of Crystal Visions, get them off ebay for $60 from memory. They last roughly 4 months for me. I just can't stand the yellow tinge to normal globes
Pavey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #17
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
j0nni, is your car lowered with lower profile tyres?
i've often found that cars that ride harsh rattle the filaments out of the bulbs
The Fairmont is stock on with 16's :P
So most likely not from that haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavey
I'm on my third set of Crystal Visions, get them off ebay for $60 from memory. They last roughly 4 months for me. I just can't stand the yellow tinge to normal globes
Yeah I can't stand that yellow tinge.
$60 is pretty good!

In the end I purchased the Narva Artic Plus 50 globe's
Not a bad price for the light it provides.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
dopeydazza

My AU2 I installed Phillips Blue +80 about 2 1/2 years ago, right hand low beam finally blew. Bloody expensive globes, low beam was ****, high beam was fantastic.

Question, does it pay to change both globes at same time? or can I put in a spare in rh side?
dopeydazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post